• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black & White, Pokemon or not?

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
    @ Charizardomination: I think they put in more texture for the 3d look, which makes it look more definite, though I see your point about the sprites being unable to change their position in accordance with the camera. I like the fact that they're using different textures and things. I guess when you're given just the graphics and the bit of the plot that's all you can judge... I'm not willing to say Gen 5 is the best, but again this kind of stuff would appeal to your little brother, no? XD

Remember people, these are games AIMED AT LITTLE CHILDRENS! <=typo on purpose. And we're the grandmas and grandpas that are still obsessed with pogeymanz.

So some things we might find, and pinpoint, but a kid would overlook.

And I agree with you, from what I've seen, Hiun City is graphically the best-looking area of the game so far, though I want to see the city with the lighthouse and the red bridge.

Years
    I just don't understand why so many people are complaining about the changes that are being made to Pokemon...aren't there more serious issues going on in the world? Like whether Brad and Angelina are going to stay together? Or, if you are like me and live in South Florida, like how awesome it is that Lebron is down here?! In all seriousness, though, there doesn't seem to be that much of a point in complaining about this. There is no definition of "pokemon." This thread was titled as a question: "Black and White, Pokemon or not?"

How can that even be answered? This is a game that is a continuation of the series, and the people creating it will define what Pokemon is and isn't. You don't go and eat a burger from Wendy's that has a wrapping that says Wendy's on it, and claim you didn't get it from there. It's Pokemon plain and simple, and I'm freaking loving it.

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
    I don't know why. I mean when there's an EXTRA in front of those features it typically means: things you may/may not like but hell it's not like you have to use them. The musical doesn't appeal to me (but looks cool anyway); I'd rather see what my little sister does in it. ^_^

You have a point shuppet88. There isn't a "definition" for Pokemon. I guess what people are trying to do here is compare Gen5 with 4,3,2 and1, and since it doesn't really match, they're not liking it.

Gen 5 is a new precedent. It's basically the modern RBY. That means if Pokemon never dies, we could have another 3 increasingly awesome generations. I actually like the more animal-like Pokemon designs.

Years
    Of course it's still Pokémon. Was your reaction to Pokémon Stadium, "oh my god, it's in 3D it's not Pokémon anymore!!!"? I don't see what the big deal is, it's still Pokémon. If it stayed like Red and Blue forever it would get boring.

Diablo361

Trainer of the Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2018
    This is a game that is a continuation of the series, and the people creating it will define what Pokemon is and isn't. You don't go and eat a burger from Wendy's that has a wrapping that says Wendy's on it, and claim you didn't get it from there. It's Pokemon plain and simple, and I'm freaking loving it.

You win the topic. Seriously, this is the best response I've heard in a long time.

Got get yourself some cake.

Gotta refute some posts -_-

Well lets see. The overworld sprites for the NPCS are absolute garbage. When the camera turns they stay in the same position. Thats what they get for keeping the same style of stupid sprites as dpphgss. Its not just the npcs, the whole overworld looks like crap. Hiun city looks fine but everywhere else looks disgustingly similar to dpphgss. YEP THIS IS CHANGE.
    They want to give the game more of a 3d feel but theyre too stupid to wait a couple months to design a 3ds launch title which would have made the game look better overall. The battle sprites are absolute garbage and these are the worst pokemon designs in the history of the franchise. Everything is spherical and stupid, they look like they were designed by my 8 year old litte cousin. The whole cast of pokemon looks like some awful jigsaw puzzle assembled the wrong way. Unforttunately the bad is outshining the good.

I like the NPC's. And the overworld looks fine to me; it's still the same platform used for DPPtHGSS; DS. Not much you can change, really, without overdoing it. And obviously, you have not worked on a game before; the 3DS is a new system, so it's highly unlikely they could carry any but the most basic codes onto the new system. They would have to rewrite a finished game from scratch.

And most importantly, people, stop acting like your opinion is law. People like what you dislike. I dislike One Piece, but I don't mind if other people like it. It's my opinion.

Respect other's opinions, please -_-

Last edited:

Gardenia101

Official Lurker
    Years
    @ Charizardomination: I think they put in more texture for the 3d look, which makes it look more definite, though I see your point about the sprites being unable to change their position in accordance with the camera. I like the fact that they're using different textures and things. I guess when you're given just the graphics and the bit of the plot that's all you can judge... I'm not willing to say Gen 5 is the best, but again this kind of stuff would appeal to your little brother, no? XD

Remember people, these are games AIMED AT LITTLE CHILDRENS! <=typo on purpose. And we're the grandmas and grandpas that are still obsessed with pogeymanz.

So some things we might find, and pinpoint, but a kid would overlook.

And I agree with you, from what I've seen, Hiun City is graphically the best-looking area of the game so far, though I want to see the city with the lighthouse and the red bridge.

I know- but I'm happy they're advancing things like the plot to stuff kids (And some adults) here would enjoy more than Cyrus at mount coronet and Team Rocket taking over radio tower.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Of course it's still Pokémon. Was your reaction to Pokémon Stadium, "oh my god, it's in 3D it's not Pokémon anymore!!!"? I don't see what the big deal is, it's still Pokémon. If it stayed like Red and Blue forever it would get boring.

Well said. I myself love some of the new features, and it's these features that make me want to buy the new games, rather than buy 'the upgrade from D/P/Pt'.

Charizardomination

Kanto Champion
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2010
    I like the NPC's. And the overworld looks fine to me; it's still the same platform used for DPPtHGSS; DS. Not much you can change, really, without overdoing it. And obviously, you have not worked on a game before; the 3DS is a new system, so it's highly unlikely they could carry any but the most basic codes onto the new system. They would have to rewrite a finished game from scratch.
    Of course I know the 3DS is a completely new platform. Theres nothing wrong with starting the game from scratch and making it better if it improves the overall experience of the games. Nintendo just knows they dont have to do that because their fanbase will buy anything with the word pokemon in it regardless of its quality.

SgtPatches

i has a beard
    Years
    Man, nostalgic Pokemon fans will complain about anything.

Yes, Black and White compared to Red and Blue are a far cry from the original Pokemon games. But a franchise can only use the same system for so long before it gets stale. I've been a Pokemon fan since my parents got me Red and Blue when I was a kid. I was at the stores for the release date of Gold and Silver. I gritted my teeth through Ruby and Sapphire, but I loved Gen IV. The games had to change to get better. It doesn't sap the game of any legitimacy just because of the new region or new features or new Pokemon.

Charizardomination

Kanto Champion
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2010
    Man, nostalgic Pokemon fans will complain about anything.

Yes, Black and White compared to Red and Blue are a far cry from the original Pokemon games. But a franchise can only use the same system for so long before it gets stale. I've been a Pokemon fan since my parents got me Red and Blue when I was a kid. I was at the stores for the release date of Gold and Silver. I gritted my teeth through Ruby and Sapphire, but I loved Gen IV. The games had to change to get better. It doesn't sap the game of any legitimacy just because of the new region or new features or new Pokemon.
    The main problem is that the games are hardly changing at all. Its been the same stupid plot for almost 15 years. Weve had the same typed starters, an evil team, the elite four, a professor named after a tree, starter towns with the same basic layout, the same camera angle, etc forever.

SgtPatches

i has a beard
    Years
    The main problem is that the games are hardly changing at all. Its been the same stupid plot for almost 15 years. Weve had the same typed starters, an evil team, the elite four, a professor named after a tree, starter towns with the same basic layout, the same camera angle, etc forever.

While the backbone of the games has remained the same, there are some drastic differences.

With G/S/C, they brought in hold items, improved drastically on the happiness system from Yellow, started animating sprites, brought in shinies, gave us the Battle Tower, made an in-game clock, new moves, used a great calendar system etc etc. And of course gave us 101 new Pokemon.

With R/S/E, they gave us Contests, double battles, expanded the Battle Tower to an entire Battle Frontier, completely overhauled the graphics, allowed storylines to delve deeper, even more moves, and even more Pokemon.

With D/P/Pt, we got the Global Terminal, which made trading much easier, and the second screen added a lot of depth to the game. The storyline was excellent, the villains were legitimately stronger, and of course there were tons of new Pokemon.

They HAVE to at least keep the backbone of the series intact. While the basics are the same, each generation has been different to the one previous, for better or for worse. Do you remember what happened when the Legend of Zelda was followed up by the 2D side-scrolling Adventure of Link?

That being said, I welcome the changes completely, as improvements are always necessary.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    While the backbone of the games has remained the same, there are some drastic differences.

With G/S/C, they brought in hold items, improved drastically on the happiness system from Yellow, started animating sprites, brought in shinies, gave us the Battle Tower, made an in-game clock, new moves, used a great calendar system etc etc. And of course gave us 101 new Pokemon.

With R/S/E, they gave us Contests, double battles, expanded the Battle Tower to an entire Battle Frontier, completely overhauled the graphics, allowed storylines to delve deeper, even more moves, and even more Pokemon.

With D/P/Pt, we got the Global Terminal, which made trading much easier, and the second screen added a lot of depth to the game. The storyline was excellent, the villains were legitimately stronger, and of course there were tons of new Pokemon.

They HAVE to at least keep the backbone of the series intact. While the basics are the same, each generation has been different to the one previous, for better or for worse. Do you remember what happened when the Legend of Zelda was followed up by the 2D side-scrolling Adventure of Link?

That being said, I welcome the changes completely, as improvements are always necessary.
    My thoughts exactly.

Each generation, has always brought in something more for Pokémon. When it first started there was only so much they can do considering the franchise was recently launched and all things technical. As time progressed, so did the game in many ways. While some didn't like it, others did and it's what kept the franchise alive even today. So, I welcome change and for the most part Pokémon still sticks to the basic concept of the game. Black and White seems to be taking that a next step further and keeping the plot of the game more heavily involved.

As far as Pokémon goes, there will always be lovers and haters. You just can't change that. Some will like the new Pokémon, others won't. It's just all a matter of opinion. Luckily, some end up changing their minds when giving that certain Pokémon a try.

On your final comment, I just want to regard that as totally true. If Pokémon never kept on improving like its done thus far, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be intact today. Basically, this goes for almost everything else as well, not only just Pokémon.

Years
    The only thing I dislike about these games is the new Pokemon. I only like two of the new ones so far. Here's hoping for an ***load of evolutions for old Pokemon, which are the only kind I want at this point.

Charizardomination

Kanto Champion
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2010

I fail to see how pokemon games would fail if they changed the plot from gyms and the elite four for once, or changed the type of the starters.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I don't see them changing the starters types (Water-Fire-Grass) any time soon, I can see it continue to generation 6+
    I like all the new stuff, especially the new music and graphics of the cities :)

miley810

Assassin
    Years
    I feel like the new changes are better,though I'll still go back and play the oldest games like the pikachu ones.I feel like there making good inprove ments.Now otheres will think diffrent probley but all my posts r just my opinon.I feel like if they were going to do all these hi-tech things they shold of at least made it optional to do things like black and white color for the game if u agree with people who r saying (not wrongly) that they sholdn't go all hi-teck.

I forgot to put that I love that there updating the grafics

Last edited:

Diablo361

Trainer of the Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2018
    I fail to see how pokemon games would fail if they changed the plot from gyms and the elite four for once, or changed the type of the starters.

I fail to see why you won't understand that your opinion =/= law.

If they change the story, you may like it. Others may not. What you see as good may not necessarily be good to others.

Mario 3D games are mainly platforming fetch quests. They aren't going to change much because it's a standard that you're always going to find. Same with Zeldaa games; there's gonna be dungeon crawling.

Gyms and starter triangles are standards; it's not likely to change anytime soon.

Charizardomination

Kanto Champion
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2010
    I fail to see why you won't understand that your opinion =/= law.

If they change the story, you may like it. Others may not. What you see as good may not necessarily be good to others.

Mario 3D games are mainly platforming fetch quests. They aren't going to change much because it's a standard that you're always going to find. Same with Zeldaa games; there's gonna be dungeon crawling.

Gyms and starter triangles are standards; it's not likely to change anytime soon.
    My opinion IS law, so your first statement is irrelevant.

The examples you gave are more related to the overall gameplay, while what Im talking about (The gym system) is more relative to the plot. Pokemon should remain a turn-based rpg focused on raising monsters. However there's nothing wrong with changing up the plot in an rpg franchise once in a while. In most cases its appreciated. Do you see other popular rpgs like final fantasy and dragon quest (Which are way better comparisons, I may add) reusing the same plot for more than a decade? A pokemon game can work without gyms. In fact, the devs can be given a lot more freedom if they break away from that stupid gym system. Unfortunately youre right about things not changing anytime soon.

Last edited:
    Back