• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

blackmoonflower's pixel creations!

Dhjona

Spriter
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 24, 2013
    great sprite work.

@your last sprite: the shading and colors (too dark) are at some places weird (tail looks pilowshaded) and the ears are bit strange, they dont look like ears because of the pink (which isnt shaded from light to dark).

And the highlight on the cat-dragon thing is too light imo and the ears aren't shaded. ;)

Scarex

Beautyfool.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2020
    Wow, I am charmed with the sprites. They have very well colouring and are very well realized;)
    Salu2!

TheRichar

Check my Thread :3
    Years
    i really liked the animated rapidash, good work but with the trainer... maybe if you put to him/her bigger eyes i think it'll look better, nice work!

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
    Years
    Thank you all.

And idea for a grass type. Still kind of a work in progress I guess. Called Lilyla. Pronounced lil-eye-lah.

As I was making it, I realized it looked like Palmon, but whatever. lol
    Opinions?

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Try using more colors for it. And the shade of green you're using for it doesn't look too good - try adding some yellow to it..
    Add symbols, stripes, whatever to make it look more like a Pokemon.

eveelution

RolePlay Minion
    Years
    I already love your hand-drawn art, but now I'm just jealous of your art ability. I'm terrible at making sprites! T-T

Years

Okay, so, it's not a Pokémon. Just a dragon? Hm. The underbelly's outline shading is pretty ugly, unfortunately. It's very bright and seems to represent no depth whatsoever. :l

Wow, that's pretty. And pretty impressive too. If I were you, I would've used less shades, to give more of a Pokémon-y effect, but it's still beautiful. As is it's animation. I'm in love with that fire. o.o Great job on this.

You're right; this is a flawed sprite, unfortunately. The red-eye = evil effect has been done terribly, and it seems as if it's his (presuming it's a boy) whole eye, as opposed to just his iris, as the original intention of whoever it was that first did the red eye = evil effect was (I guess; the iris gives off the evil effect, so I presume so). The hair has very unnoticeable shading, and no-one, realistically, has jet-black hair. Try and refer to sprites such as
    or
    (presuming you're doing the Gen III style of spriting). The Pokéball also lacks shading. :l

Wow, if I didn't know better, I would've thought this was new Pokémon, shape, concept and shading-wise. It could be less monotonous, and in my opinion, the tail's curl should move a bit on the second frame. Speaking of animation, I love the way you animate your sprites; it's just like how Game Freak does it, in Diamond/Pearl.

In my opnion, the Pokémon is pointless, and Aquarigon should be a single-stage Pokémon. From an artistic point of view, this is pretty flawless, however from every other perspective, it's just a filler Pokémon, with hardly any detail and a unmemorable face, as Chesu rightly says is a key factor in creating Pokémon. I'm not a fan of this sprite; sorry.

As I said when critisising (spelling?) Aquaphin, this Pokémon would be far better off as a single-stage, pseudo-legendary Pokémon. Either way, this is truly amazing. I like almost everything about it, the pose, the colouring, the spikes going down it's back, the little spiky shape on the fin, etc. I say "almost eveything" because: a) nothing is 100% perfect, and b) the face, as with it's prevolution, is very unmemorable and unregonizable amongst other Pokémon that you may encounter. That aside, I love this, and, with a few tweaks, this could easily be on my team, if this were to be in Generation Five, as one of my favourite Pokémon (me liking water-types in a plus, too :3).

This looks like it's from the The Dragon Cave adoptable thing. The style is not what I'm used to, so I'm - obviously - not used to critisising pieces of art in this style; for a non-Pokémon, though, it is an appealing sprite, and looks pretty cool.

As with these.

Lileep, much? Even the name sounds like it. But I like this, in general. The flower on it's head needs some centre-aligning, and the root-dress... thing, needs more depth and needs to appear to be resting on the floor, in my opnion. Once again, this doesn't really have much contrast between the shades, which I don't like, and don't think it suits in with the rest of the Pokémon sprites out there. This does resemble more of a Pokémon, though, so kudos on that.

In general, you're a good spriter, so keep at it, and absorb crit like a sponge, and most of all, apply the advice given to you.
    Good luck!

blackmoonflower

Years
    Thanks for the constructive criticism. To be honest, I've only been working on spriting for a few weeks, so naturally I need much more practice. Most of these were done just for fun for an adoptables website I've been working on.

The yellow dragon was a WIP and I ended up changing the colors to red and gray like the bigger red dragon, which looks less ugly, I think.

I took the colors from an actual rapidash sprite, so I don't think I could've taken away a shade without it looking funny.

And yes, the trainer is made of fail. It was more of a test than anything. Human anatomy tends to escape me. I may do another one in the future that will hopefully turn out better.

I admit Ginokami could use a little less monotony, and I will probably go back and change a few things sometime in the future.

As for Aquaphin, it looks much better on paper than in sprite form. Aquarigon, as well. But I might go with the idea of making Aquarigon a single-stage.

Lilyla is definitely a WIP. I'll be continuing to work on it, but I needed some opinions to help me with it. The flower is supposed to be a little off to the side, which I think looks fine, but the sprite as a whole needs work, I admit.

Again, thank you for taking the time to critique my work. I appreciate it.

blackmoonflower

Years
    Phoenix growth cycle for the lulz (and for my website).

And an edit on Lilyla.

I think it looks better. What does everyone else think?

Bichu

←Onigiri(Rice ball) Pichu
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Aug 12, 2018
    Wow...your...sprite art is so good it makes me want to cry XD lol

I love how you animate them too 8'( It makes them seem more believable~
    And to create them out of scratch too... That's brilliant! ='D

Maco

learning the ropes...
    Years
    You're definately getting better at spriting. The new trainer looks a lot better, the colouring for lilyla is better too.

blackmoonflower

Years
    Thanks.

Here's a new fakemon.

This is Leober. I was thinking this would be a fire starter.

Last edited:
    Back