• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Blue and Green

jasonthedrag0n

Disco Elephant
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2022
    Does anyone know why they changed Green to Blue for the 1st gen English versions of the games?

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
    Does anyone know why they changed Green to Blue for the 1st gen English versions of the games?

Probably a variety of reasons. They had to westernize the franchise and were probably aware that red & green signify the holiday season in this country, so to have them together would just be weird. Red, green, and blue are the 3 primary colors, so that fits together well. Likely a bunch of small reasons like that...

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I say it's because the English Red and Blue versions are based on the Japanese Blue version(I think, in terms of maps like Cerulean Cave and bugs for the infamous glitches like the Dokokashira Door Glitch), so it made sense to name the English versions as Red and Blue instead of back to Red and Green.

Years
    They didn't. They used the japanese Blue as a basis and ported Red as well.

I think they're asking why the pairing was Red and Green in Japan, whereas elsewhere it was Red and Blue. So yes, in that regard they changed Green to Blue.

I've just done some Googling and it's actually hard to uproot the reasoning behind it. I read, a few times, that it was something to do with the conflict between water and fire, that maybe the localisation teams thought it would sell better if there could be a sense of competition. This is very loose, but it's something along those lines. It was basically a marketing decision.
    By the time their remakes rolled around, I guess those 90's opinions on what's necessary in appealing to game-buyers were considered no-longer-relevant, hence FireRed and LeafGreen.

Back