• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Brendan in Johto

austin00081

young money
Years
  • This will probably be locked in 10 minutes, but I had a thought.

Thinking back on how R/S/E is ~2 years after G/S/C.
    Brendan used to live in Johto before he moved to Hoenn, so wouldn't he still be in Johto when we were playing?
    Should he have made an appearance in HG/SS?
    maybe i'm just thinking about the manga too much.

Franzo

Developing something...
    Years
  • True but he would of been a lot younger and I suppose they didn't think about it that much anyway...

would be cool though :)

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • what would he do say "hi" he has no pokemon before he comes to hoenn
    I didn't pay close enough attention in R/S/E did Norman come from Johto too if so should he be atleast known about since he is obviously skilled enough yo become a gym leader

Benjamin510

The King of Typio's!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2016
    what would he do say "hi" he has no pokemon before he comes to hoenn
    I didn't pay close enough attention in R/S/E did Norman come from Johto too if so should he be atleast known about since he is obviously skilled enough yo become a gym leader

Ah... That is not revealed, Maybe he moved there before. The Special manga, Who has the most details and development, did not reveal this.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • I like this. Very interesting concept. I bet that maybe one game designer had put in a "little boy" sprite somewhere in the game and had that in mind. But other than that it isn't official or anything. I bet if anything it's the little boy in the middle of the pond in Violet City. Lame theory (as Brendan was naturally born with white hair) but it's the best I have.

Very good point though.

Benjamin510

The King of Typio's!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2016
    I like this. Very interesting concept. I bet that maybe one game designer had put in a "little boy" sprite somewhere in the game and had that in mind. But other than that it isn't official or anything. I bet if anything it's the little boy in the middle of the pond in Violet City. Lame theory (as Brendan was naturally born with white hair) but it's the best I have.

Very good point though.

Its a hat........... You could see it being pushed down in one of the Concept arts, and also in the Special manga it is a hat, While he has Black like hair, and a splitting in his fore head.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • IDK how 'official' the fact that he was from Johto is, or from what canon - mind saying where that fact came from? Say, if it was in the manga then that's different people to Gamefreak (who make the games) who said that, so that mans gameverse he wouldn't necessarily have come from Johto.

I'll leave this open and see what discussion comes from this I guess for now...

Kendall

Fool of a Took
    Years
  • I think you've got your timelines mixed up.

R/S/E and R/B/Y/FR/LG took place at the same time, three years BEFORE the events of G/S/C/HG/SS and D/P/PL. Brendan would have already been done with his journey during the Johto games.

But that's if you are talking about game canon. I'm not sure about manga canon.

austin00081

young money
    Years
  • IDK how 'official' the fact that he was from Johto is, or from what canon - mind saying where that fact came from? Say, if it was in the manga then that's different people to Gamefreak (who make the games) who said that, so that mans gameverse he wouldn't necessarily have come from Johto.

I'll leave this open and see what discussion comes from this I guess for now...

There are many obvious signs that he moved from Johto to Hoenn.
    In the game he is moving in, and I'm pretty sure the mom says something about johto, and in the manga it's pretty clear that he was from johto. If you are skeptic, just google it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • There are many obvious signs that he moved from Johto to Hoenn.
    In the game he is moving in, and I'm pretty sure the mom says something, and in the manga it's pretty clear. If you are skeptic, just google it.
    I'm not saying he doesn't in any occurance at all, but I'm just wondering about whether it's actually stated in game rather than in the manga, is all - because if it isn't directly said in the game that it's Johto he could have easily going by game verse (which is the only thing the main games work on ever since Yellow came about - other people create the other canons after all so stuff in the manga is basically in a different 'universe' to the games) come from, say, Kanto or just no particular region. TBH I don't recall his mother saying Johto specifically in RSE, just that they moved.

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
  • Well, actually according to bulbapedia and serebii, thi timeline goes like this:
    RBYFrLgRSECol -3 years later: GSCHGSSDPPt, 2 years later, XD

so it goes gen 1&3 then gens 2&4 then gen 3

go to bulbapedia pokemon timeline, its proof

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • I'm not saying he doesn't in any occurance at all, but I'm just wondering about whether it's actually stated in game rather than in the manga, is all - because if it isn't directly said in the game that it's Johto he could have easily going by game verse (which is the only thing the main games work on ever since Yellow came about - other people create the other canons after all so stuff in the manga is basically in a different 'universe' to the games) come from, say, Kanto or just no particular region. TBH I don't recall his mother saying Johto specifically in RSE, just that they moved.
    In Ruby and Sapphire (Not in Emerald since they removed all references to Johto), in the house to the farthest South and East in Petalburg, one of the residents says that norman just moved there from Johto with his family, making the player character (Brendan OR May) from Johto. Since the two are interchangable they likely couldnt have a RS cameo of them since no one knows WHICH is canonly Norman's kid.

And about the hair thing. It is a hat. Check Brendan's Emerald 3D model in Pokemon XD.
    Brendan in Johto
    THATS BROWN HAIR PEOPLE. Yes, in the manga he has black hair and a cut, but in the games hes brown hair with a hat.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    This will probably be locked in 10 minutes, but I had a thought.

Thinking back on how R/S/E is ~2 years after G/S/C.
    Brendan used to live in Johto before he moved to Hoenn, so wouldn't he still be in Johto when we were playing?
    Should he have made an appearance in HG/SS?
    maybe i'm just thinking about the manga too much.
    All 4th Gen games take place 3 years after the 3rd Gen games. Therefore, by the time Ethan/Lyra are traveling through Johto, Brendan/May have already finished their Hoenn journeys 3 years earlier.

Also, I don't think it's canon anymore that Brendan/May used to live in Johto. Why?

In Ruby/Sapphire, it's stated by an NPC in Petalburg City that Norman's family used to live in Johto. However, in Emerald, that dialogue was altered so that the NPC now states that Norman's family used to live "somewhere far away". Therefore, as of Pokemon Emerald, the R/S/E protagonists never lived in Johto, and instead, they lived "somwhere far away".

NatureKeeper

Gen I, III and V occured at the same time, while II, IV and the future VI if possible will all be the same time, according to Bulbapedia. Brendan moved before Gold even started his adventure, when Gold was still 7. (Yes, three years.)
    And in third-versions (Platinum and Emerald), they got rid of most references to Johto. They wanted to hide the idea of the then-unknown HeartGold and SoulSilver.

EDiT 1: @Chaos Rush: I sware I didn't read your post before I wrote this. XD

EDIT 2: Oh, and:
    If I am wrong, HGSS would need a future time travel to communicate with DPPt, and and the same goes for RSE and FRLG. And since the D\P Gen VI remakes will be able to normally comunicate with the paired versions, it is OK. Of course, B&W Gen VII remakes will also connect to the paired versions, as well as connecting to the Gen V RSE remakes. So, that proves it. So all Odd Generations occur in the same time, and all Even Generation occur in the same time, 3 years later of odd Gens.

Timeline of video games.

<---Odd Generations(Includes SpinOff Games)|--?? time-->Pokémon Ranger|--Three Years-->Even Generations (Includes SpinOff games)|--Two Years-->Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness--->

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Gen I, III and V occured at the same time, while II, IV and the future VI if possible will all be the same time, according to Bulbapedia. Brendan moved before Gold even started his adventure, when Gold was still 7. (Yes, three years.)
    It has not yet been confirmed when Gen V takes place. Logically, it would be safe to assume that it takes place at the same time as Gen I and III, but I have a feeling that they might just do a new time line altogether...

And in third-versions (Platinum and Emerald), they got rid of most references to Johto. They wanted to hide the idea of the then-unknown HeartGold and SoulSilver.
    Wrong. Platinum actually ADDED references to Johto.

Emerald was used to scrub almost all references to other regions, though.
    There's only 2 references to other regions in all of Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire. An NPC in Petalburg talks about Johto, while an NPC in Lilycove talks about Kanto. In Emerald, the Petalburg NPC had it's dialogue changed so that Johto isn't mentioned, but the NPC in Lilycove did not get changed, and he still talks about Kanto in Emerald.

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
  • I doubt he'd be in Johto. He could possibly be visiting, but he already supposedly lived there, I would think it's safe to assume that he'd venture to new places he hasn't been before to continue his journey. As for the timeline, that's just a steaming pile of poop right there. There are so many inconsistencies it's just fascinating to watch nintendo try to rectify them only to make a new game and just open up a whole new can of lolsauce and open up even more plotholes.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • what would he do say "hi" he has no pokemon before he comes to hoenn

It doesn't really matter whether brendan has a pokemon or not..
    It would of been nice to see him as a kid and see more of a backstory for him.

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
    Years
  • Didn't R/S/E come 3 years BEFORE HG/SS? That's why we can't see him in the games, since he/and/or May moved to Hoenn 3 years ago.

Back