• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Bug Catching Competition

Do you like the Bug Catching competition?

• Yep, I find it fun

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • It's ok I guess/haven't tried it yet

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Worst. Bug-catching. Comp. EVER.

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • It occurs on every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday in the National Park, but have you tried it out yet, and if so - do you enjoy it?

I find it a decent side-quest, although fairly easy to win if you know how to go about doing so. I always wonder why the bug type Pokemon only ever appear during the competition though...

WaterSplash

Common
    Years
  • It's a pretty cool feature, and some of the Bug Pokémon can only be found there (Scyther and Pinsir particularly) plus if you win it's an easy way to get a Sun Stone. However, as far as "Safari Zone" type areas go, this one is limited in the fact that it only contains Bug-types.

Editman

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I actually just won this, I caught a Scyther on Lv 14. I love the side quest though. I hate the Safari zone

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • Okay, I really just found out how it works in the Park. o_o (Well, not just, but recently)
    I does not matter what Pokemon you catch, really. It matters mostly on the level, and the remaining HP. I caught a level 18 Kakuna and won every time. I always thought it was how rare and how high leveled, but nope... >.<;;

Anyways, yes, I have always enjoyed the bug catching competition! c: It makes for very good training for my Quilava~ XD

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
    Years
  • I think its good fun. It took me a little bit to realize the health of the pokemon was important (not just species and level, I kept getting confused why my high level Scyther's and Pinsir's repeatedly came second) and while it was easy once I figured that out I still think it is a good way to get the different stones without the game just giving you them.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i love the bug catching contest. i have alot of fun trying to catch the perfect pokemon. i think i came in second only once. the only problem i have with them is that i always forget on those days that its happening

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
  • I keep trying to win but never even place in the top three! I've been reading your posts about how the health of the pokemon matters but not what about the health exactly. Is it the lower hp remaining once I've caught the pokemon or the higher (barely took an hp away during battle) ?

weeman10

Mr. Blue Sky
    Years
  • I personally only use the bug catching contest for catching Pinsir/Scyther and then I usually never go back. Sometimes I do if I'm in the area, and its on a bug-catching contest day, but its not particularly enjoyable for me personally.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I like the Bug Catching competitions because of Scyther and Pinsir. But they're hard to find and catch, so I make catching them first priority before continuing on my journey.

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
    Years
  • I keep trying to win but never even place in the top three! I've been reading your posts about how the health of the pokemon matters but not what about the health exactly. Is it the lower hp remaining once I've caught the pokemon or the higher (barely took an hp away during battle) ?

The more hp it has when caught the better.

I usually use false swipe and spore to catch wild pokemon (so they are down to 1hp and asleep) which is why I never won the first few times I played. However after finding out the hp matters I just put them to sleep and throw pokeballs until it is caught (takes a few goes but usually works) and now I always win.

Years
  • I love the bug catching contest. It adds a sence of realism to the pokemon world, and its fun trying to catch the best bug you can find.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • I like it I generally just throw balls at Metapods/Silcoons etc.. and win with those I have however noticed a little glitch with it post nat dex on Thursdays and Saturdays your opponents will on occasion catch pokemon that aren't available that day. for example I once beat a guy on Thursday that caught a butterfree though they aren't catchable that day.

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
    Years
  • Meh, I don't participate in it to often. It's alright, but there are many other things I'd rather do then catching bug types for an evolutionary stone.

TheRatBoy

PokeYoutuber
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2011
    I thought you could catch herracross so I played it for three hours before I realized that I should be headbutting trees. Because of this I'm not a huge fan.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It's okay, but far from my favorite feature. May have to do with the fact that none of the available bug Pokemon are something I'd put on my team.

But it has one HUGE advantage over the dreaded Safari Zone. You can (GASP!) actually reduce the target's HP and slap it with Sleep or Paralyze before trying to catch it. What a concept! Maybe the Safari Zone can learn something from this idea!

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    I do it if the mood strikes me. I usually just take a poke with para/sleep/poison and throw parkballs until it gets caught. 99% of the time, it works.

Back