• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen But I wanted to see a lion!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Sure we have the DW... but why not both tbh? After all, the DW is only a website addition (so it's not in the game itself) and is limited to one hour a day and one Pokemon a day assuming your internet or it doesn't lag when you're trying to send a Pokemon over, something that was never the case for the Safari Zone. Although I'd say B/W is rather lacking in extra stuff like the Safari Zone as a whole - musicals are lacking and don't take up anywhere near as much time or entertainment as Contests or the Pokealthon did, or even the Game Corner imo.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • The original concept for the zone was good, with well intentions. Though I really loathed the execution. The lack of any way to catch Pokemon without using almost only luck based play is really not what I really enjoy. I enjoy the strategy of catching Pokemon, a lot, so I always avoid going there as the best of my ability.
    I like that it gives a very easy way to have foreign Pokemon in an otherwise nonsensical locations, but the catching mechanics of it really aren't all that fun, to me personally.

Well, it's not like regular Pokemon catching (outside of the Safari Zone) isn't luck-based, either. It typically boils down to: whittle wild Pokemon's HP down to 1 HP, inflict major status problem (usually Sleep or Paralysis), start chucking Poke Balls and hope for the best. In the post-game, if you have something like a Level 100 Smeargle that can False Swipe and afflict the foe with a status problem, it usually only takes a maximum of 2-3 turns from the battle's beginning until you can start randomly throwing Poke Balls each turn, where you can only hope that the catch rate calculation works out in your favor.

Roaming Pokemon add a tad bit more of strategy in that you have to prevent escape (usually via the means of Mean Look or Shadow Tag/its variants) or prevent forced switching (usually via Taunt or Suction Cups); but after making sure those two safeguards are in place, it typically runs like any other wild Pokemon battle attempt at capture. :\

An Unova Safari Zone would not seem so bad, IMO, and it might even be enhanced since the Critical Capture mechanic has been added to the games, which would likely provide immense benefits in the Safari Zone.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was a bit sad that the Safari Zone wasn't in B/W, but I think it could make an appearance in the third version, when it could appear post-National Dex with the old Pokemon.

Years
  • Aw I never really noticed, even though I always loved the Safari Zone!
    There are a lot of things that make up for it not being there though, so I'm not that bothered.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I would of loved to of seen the Safari zone make a return in the glorious Fifth Generation, but sadly no. :( I wonder if it'll come back in the 3rd Version though.

Years
  • Aw I never really noticed, even though I always loved the Safari Zone!
    There are a lot of things that make up for it not being there though, so I'm not that bothered.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I think a Safari Zone would have been so cool after the E4 and you can catch foreign Pokémon in it :> That would have been great! But otherwise it doesn;t really bother me all that much :( I don't think there are enough Unova Pokémon to make up a Safari Zone before the E4 and they aren't all too fun anyway XD

Nateon

Pokemon Will Be Real One Day!
    Years
  • Didn't even notice it wasn't there until i saw this thread, i always liked the idea of the safari zone, but i was never too good at it and always ended up with Nidorans and Pikachus (depending on the generation) and just got frustrated. We have the dream world this time round which i think was a good idea, though it has made it too easy at times now, you can now start your games after the first badge with a fairly ranged and decent dream-world ability lot

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I was disappointed to find out that there wouldn't be another Safari Zone in Unova. They could've made it available only after the Elite 4 and made it a place where you can find foreign Pokemon like Kangaskhan and other Pokemon that could be caught there in other games. The Dream World seems like a bad substitute for it.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    > Never liked the Safari Zone.
    > Only ever used it in FR for that gold teeth thing.
    > Never used Safari Zone ever again.
    > Lack of Safari Zone makes me happy.

Yeah pretty much that.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    If there was a Safari Zone that was just for past gen Pokemon I would be happy. Sadly there wasn't. Though in general, Safari Zone's kinda lost their appeal to me by HGSS and I'm glad to see it's gone yes DW is better.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • > Never liked the Safari Zone.
    > Only ever used it in FR for that gold teeth thing.
    > Never used Safari Zone ever again.
    > Lack of Safari Zone makes me happy.

Yeah pretty much that.

'nuff said.

And now I will add random text because I'm not allowed to post an entry shorter than 25 words. No, seriously, I'm not too fond of Safari Zones, either. I find the Dream World very, very cheesy, though, but still, it's a fun idea.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Safari Zone kinda sucks so there really doesn't need to be one.

Gen 1 was cool with it. Gen 2 didn't have the Safari Zone, instead they had the Bug Catching Contest that is only available on three days. Gen 3's was kinda lame. Gen 4's Marsh one was really lame. HG/SS's was just horrible. I'm not disappointed at all that they took a waste of in game money out.

Dream World does make up for lack of one, but really it doesn't replace it.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Safari Zone kinda sucks so there really doesn't need to be one.

Gen 1 was cool with it. Gen 2 didn't have the Safari Zone, instead they had the Bug Catching Contest that is only available on three days. Gen 3's was kinda lame. Gen 4's Marsh one was really lame. HG/SS's was just horrible. I'm not disappointed at all that they took a waste of in game money out.

Dream World does make up for lack of one, but really it doesn't replace it.

I actually thought they got better as the games went on (RBY's being the lamest and HGSS's being the best)...though that may just be because my favorite GenIV pokemon were exclusive to the Marsh and I thought HGSS's customization was just fun to play with. XD

I'm actually unable to even log onto the Dream World due to the outdatedness of my current laptop, so I can't compare it to anything, but I hear mixed reactions from all across the fandom. Personally, until I actually try the Dream World, I'm just inclined to say that the Safari Zones were the superior pokemon-catching time-wasters. XD

Back