• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cameron new British PM, Brown to quit as Labour leader

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Gotta give it to him, his final speech was pretty good.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    It was quite funny; I got home from food shopping and my mother put the news on, and I saw Brown's car on the way to the Queen for his resignation. Fortuitous timing, since I then witnessed the whole shabang.

Poor old Brown looked very tired.
    So, we have a new PM and a new Government. I hope they manage to sort England out.
    : ]

xX

Years
    Someone should change the title to :

David Cameron is UK's new prime minister

Cameron new British PM, Brown to quit as Labour leader

David Cameron confirmed as new prime minister by the Queen​

Conservative leader David Cameron is the new UK prime minister after the resignation of Gordon Brown.

Mr Cameron, 43, entered 10 Downing Street after travelling to Buckingham Palace to formally accept the Queen's request to form the next government.
    He said he aimed to form a "proper and full coalition" with the Lib Dems to provide "strong, stable government".
    His party won the most seats in the UK general election last week, but not an overall majority.
    In a speech outside his new Downing Street home, Mr Cameron said he and Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg would "put aside party differences and work hard for the common good and the national interest".
    He paid tribute to outgoing PM Gordon Brown for his long years of public service and said he would tackle Britain's "pressing problems" - the deficit, social problems and to "rebuild trust in our political system".
    Mr Cameron stressed there would be "difficult decisions" but said he wanted to take people through them to reach "better times ahead".
    He said he aimed to "help build a more responsible society here in Britain... Those who can should and those who can't, we will always help. I want to make sure that my government always looks after the elderly, the frail, the poorest in our country.
    "We must take everyone through with us on some of the difficult decisions we have ahead."
    "I came into politics because I love this country, I think it's best days still lie ahead and I believe deeply in public service.
    "I think the service our country needs right now is to face up to our big challenges, to confront our problems, take difficult decisions, lead people through those decisions, so that together we can reach better times ahead."
    We'll see how long this Tory-Lib Dem coalition lasts until the next election. It's just that the Tories aren't going for Proportional Representation. But alas even with a Labour-Lib Dem Coalition there was not enough votes. :/

I'm fine with this. Good Luck to the Conservatives, you guys have a lot of work getting the Economy back up again~

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Clegg is going to be Deputy Prime Minister. I wonder how that will work out, since there hadn't been any since 1945 XD

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
    Clegg is going to be Deputy Prime Minister. I wonder how that will work out, since there hadn't been any since 1945 XD

Yes, the cabinet announcements being drip-fed to the media include Osborne as chancellor, Hague as foreign secretary and Clegg as Deputy PM. That means, respectively: cuts; "liberal interventionism"; and tea with two sugars.

Years

Well, there at least is a respectable line of succession? XP

Anyways how long will it be until this coalition collapses? There will be a ton of cuts to manage that deficit in this administration.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I just don't understand why they had to cut into Eastenders to see Gordon Brown slowly drive over to Buckingham Palace. He resigned, Cameron is the new PM, Clegg is his deputy. Thats all we needed to know.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years

Well, there at least is a respectable line of succession? XP

Anyways how long will it be until this coalition collapses? There will be a ton of cuts to manage that deficit in this administration.

The day after the new electoral system is approved. Or five minutes after the new law is passed, for that matter. Unless it's just in the middle of a life-or-death emergency, then it will be as soon as the emergency calms down. My bet.

The Cynic

Years
    Who wants to join me livingn on the moon. Far away from tory britian as possible.

I do! Only problem is Baron Ashcroft will just buy NASA and colonise the Moon, calling his extravagant moon-city "Death Star II - New Berkshire".

In all seriousness though, if you don't live in Scotland (which I no longer do) it's going to become very expensive to be a student. Or a single parent for that matter. Or a worker in the public sector. Or really anyone who dosn't have chums at Eton.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    Aaaaargh! I'm about to be a student! :(:(

(On a more positive note: my 800th post! :D)

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Who wants to join me livingn on the moon. Far away from tory britian as possible.

No, but please stay there :)

I don;t see why so many of you are raging over the torries, most of you weren't alive last time round, and the ones of us who were are too young to remember it. Give them a God damn chance. seriously.

Years
    A chance to do what maggie thatcher did? Which was bring the entire country to it's knee's lol
    Making all these cuts isn't going to bring England out of the recession, it's just going to ruin the education of future generations like my daughter because I can't afford to send her to private school.
    The tories are too old fasioned, their never going to work in a modern England.

No, but please stay there :)

I don;t see why so many of you are raging over the torries, most of you weren't alive last time round, and the ones of us who were are too young to remember it. Give them a God damn chance. seriously.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    A chance to do what maggie thatcher did? Which was bring the entire country to it's knee's lol
    Making all these cuts isn't going to bring England out of the recession, it's just going to ruin the education of future generations like my daughter because I can't afford to send her to private school.
    The tories are too old fasioned, their never going to work in a modern England.

Thatcher was a hero compared to Brown and Blair. One war under Thatcher and we won it, 2 under Blair and they're still on going and we're still losing.

The Cynic

Years
    I found this last night, apparently because of the coalition they are gonna raise VAT to 20%. Seems like an excuse to me, I saw this coming the second they temporarily dropped it to 15% so I'm hardly surprised.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10112936.stm

Hopefully this is just as temporary as the decrease was.

The Tories said they were going to scrap all these different taxes to "let the economy grow". Now, they're bumping them up.

Just goes to show, never trust a Tory.

Also the Lib Dems were going to introduce a "mansion tax" where homeowners pay an additional annual tax of 1% on homes worth at least £2m. However, now they're all pals with the Tories that idea has been scrapped.

Just goes to show, never trust a Whig.

Back