• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cat that can foretell death

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Amazing News: Cat that can foretell death

This is just mind boggling, Oscar the cat has been able to predict the death of patients at a home by curling up next to them. You can read more about it here.

Being quite scientific, I don't believe in 'psychic powers', 'destiny', 'god whatever..' and reckon that being able to predict the future is quite unlikely, either way this report does make you think.

(Unless the patients were all allergic to cats.. which would explain a lot).

Last edited:

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Wow, how weird. Seriously? If I said it was just a coincidence, that'll be crazy. That's crazy I'd hate to be the next person that cat rolls up under.

Well I don't believe in "psychic" powers. But that's just scary. 25 cases? xD

Mizer

That a Banana in Your Pocket?
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 27, 2007
    Umm cat's can't do this sooo I say scam

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    Umm cat's can't do this sooo I say scam
    And you know this, how? Haven't you heard of animals predicting storms, earthquakes, etc?

I don't think doing this 25 times is just any coincidence

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Did the study show how many times the cat was wrong...? Maybe it's been right something like 25 times out of 300, which wouldn't really be much of a feat. :/ I know the article says it didn't make many mistakes, but what exactly does that entail?

That said, it'd suck for the people who live there--imagine how they feel when the cat starts hanging around them. :x

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • That sounds quite weird. But don't really believe in psychic powers or anything like that. I reckon it is just pure chance or that the it notices the different smell so lays next to them.

Memory

let's waste time ✖
    Years
  • Non-believers >O
    I believe in psychic powers XD;
    But in this case, yeah, the smell is different. Animals are like, amazing, because we were created with more brains than instinct, and for the animals it was the other way around. So in a way they can be considered smarter than us 8D And in other ways, we are definitely smarter than them.

burgundynite

~Dynite~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2007
    but how can the cat tell someone how long theyre gonna live? its not gonna talk now is it

Memory

let's waste time ✖
    Years
  • but how can the cat tell someone how long theyre gonna live? its not gonna talk now is it
    Ahem, as mentioned above, there are ways. The scent changes as someone nears death, and the cat may notice that, and, in result, end up curling up next to that person.

It would be very, very frightening to have it curl up next to me.... ><

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    After doing some "research" the cat has been right 25 out of 25 times. Not once has it been wrong.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • Well, I think Animals are more intelligent that Humans and can see what Humans can see...Or that's what I heard,
    That Cat probably is scary too look at...and I DON'T WANNA HAVE A CAT CURL UP BESIDES ME >x<

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2008
    if you think of the scientific side,the mamalian brain is,in wasy,more atune to the death of other animals,much the way they predicted the andreas fault earth quake,so the atuned senses of the animal mixed in witrh alot of posibilites(Speacial magnetic field surounding building,enhanced whethere,e.t.c.)could result in the prediction,or maybe the spirit world does exisit and this cat is reciving messages telling it who will die next,the human brain can only process so much befor it gos into iteral metal breakdown,therefor the odd sensation of a comunication with the spirit world may be prosecesed by the human brain as a mere coincenedence when we are obliviose to what is realy ocurring.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • Did the study show how many times the cat was wrong...? Maybe it's been right something like 25 times out of 300, which wouldn't really be much of a feat. :/ I know the article says it didn't make many mistakes, but what exactly does that entail?

That said, it'd suck for the people who live there--imagine how they feel when the cat starts hanging around them. :x

I saw this on the news, and it stated that the cat was NEVER wrong.

Also, to the bacteria theory. I find that extremely unlikely, why? BECAUSE THE CAT LIVES IN A HOSPITAL. Not to mention doctors look after him. If the cat had a bacteria that killed the 25 patients, I'm sure the doctors would have caught on after the first few deaths.

Anyways, I agree with the one person who brought up the idea of animals being able to use prediction. Not as a form of psychic-ness, but as a sense of animal instinct and possible senses that allow it to know of it's surroundings. For example, cows gather under trees right before a rain storm.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I saw this on the news, and it stated that the cat was NEVER wrong.
    Then why did it say the cat rarely made mistakes in the article? Sounds like a conflict of information to me. They wouldn't say "rarely" if it was correct 100% of the time.

Back