• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cats or Dogs?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • I want to know what PCers like most: Cats or Dogs, and why!

Cats or Dogs?

So, what do you prefer and why?

For me, I go with cats all the way. They are cute, and they just do their own thing like nobody's business. They do what they want when they want too!

pkmin3033

Seriously though, I despise dogs. They're loud, boisterous, require an almost obscene amount of maintaining with daily walks and all the rest, and they usually stink. I'm generalising of course, but I have never encountered a dog that I've been able to even tolerate for longer than a few minutes, let alone like.

I love cats, though. They're fairly self-sufficient, their fur is much nicer, and for the most part they're much nicer to look at, as well. You get some ugly breeds of cat, but most of them are either cute or elegant. Sure, they **** in the back garden, and their yowling can be just as annoying as a dog's barking - and comes in the dead of night when you're trying to sleep half the time - but, on balance, they're far less irritating most of the time.

Cats just want occasional affection, and can get by without it - put one out and they'll get the hint. Dogs demand your attention and they're like five year old children, with all the noise and mess that implies. I don't have the patience or even the desire to deal with dogs. Cats are awesome.

But give me a rabbit over either of them any day. Rabbits are the best.

xVaporeonx

Catwoman
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2016
    Cats, thought I do love dogs for some reasons as well.

But cats because... They don't need to be walked or let out to go to the bathroom. They are more independent. They are small and compact. They like to sleep... I like to sleep too. They can learn almost anything a dog can and it is far more rewarding to train them (I have a cat who sits and gives paw, walks on a harness too). They tend to live longer with less health issues. Most of all... I somehow can relate to them on a spiritual level.

Dogs are great for obedience, friendship, protection, and playing but because I prefer larger dogs, there are many more down sides to owning one than owning a cat.

I have both by the way. Two cats and two German Shepherds. (All males)

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Cats, thought I do love dogs for some reasons as well.

But cats because... They don't need to be walked or let out to go to the bathroom. They are more independent. They are small and compact. They like to sleep... I like to sleep too. They can learn almost anything a dog can and it is far more rewarding to train them (I have a cat who sits and gives paw, walks on a harness too). They tend to live longer with less health issues. Most of all... I somehow can relate to them on a spiritual level.

Dogs are great for obedience, friendship, protection, and playing but because I prefer larger dogs, there are many more down sides to owning one than owning a cat.

I have both by the way. Two cats and two German Shepherds. (All males)

I have both as well. I have two dogs and a cat. I love all three of them equally, but I find myself pestering my cat a lot. XD

xVaporeonx

Catwoman
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2016
    I have both as well. I have two dogs and a cat. I love all three of them equally, but I find myself pestering my cat a lot. XD

Same. I mean I can easily own like 10+ cats but I would never want more than 2 dogs. lol Heck at one point I had a total of 7 cats living with me.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I am mostly a cat person and always had at least 2 cats in the house all the time. Though I worked in a dog groomers for 5 1/2 years and people would always ask what kind of dog I have. Dog? Uhhh I have cats...lol.

Years
  • Dogs because when I am 6 year boy I get my first dog( loved him so much) . He dies after 6 years..........At age 13 I got my buddy Tiger(dog) who is still with me. I love him more than anything in this world.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I love most animals and I'm fine with both cats and dogs, but im definitely more of a dog person. I've always grown up with dogs and I can't imagine ever being without one - life would feel so quiet and empty.

I want a pet I can do things with. I like the walks and playtime and giving them attention (miss it, in fact - my dog is 15 now and tires very easily). They're better companions to me and taking care of them can be so fun and rewarding. I don't know - I've never considered myself the type that likes to take care of others in general but I love caring for animals.

Oh, and they're so cute, but that's besides the point. :P All furry things are cute. Dogs are just cute in that goofy, loveable way, which I adore.

I've never had a cat of my own so I'm probably a bit biased, but I did volunteer at an animal shelter for a few years and while the kitten room is fun too, I definitely tried to spend more time with the puppies and dogs if I could help it lol. And the adult cats were usually no fun at all, but I attribute that to them being abandoned by their owners and having to spend time in a confined, foreign space with other cats. They were just super sulky though - complete contrast to dogs, puppies and kittens.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    i have both and i really love both equally. i bond more with my dog, but cats are so much easier and bond with you in their own way. i know when i have my own place i would probably get a cat over a dog, but once i'm older and have more time on my hands i would get a dog.

Nuclearkiller42

A pig in a cage on antibiotics
    Years
  • I like some dogs a bit, but I prefer cats as they're quieter and calmer. Plus, I think cats usually are cuter than dogs. I'm not allowed to have either though, and convincing my mum to have a cat is even harder than to have a dog ;_;

Years
  • Definitely always been more of a cat person. I don't mind dogs, but I think I definitely prefer taking care of cats over dogs. Although I say this having never owned a dog of my own, and having grown up with several cats...

But yeah. Even from being around others' dogs for a little bit, I would still rather take care of a cat.

Plus I just like cats a little more. I guess I'm a sucker for a warm fuzzy purring machine.
    (Also, they tend to smell better in general, IMO. I'm not a fan of the whole dog smell deal.)

I like some dogs a bit, but I prefer cats as they're quieter and calmer.
    X| Tell that to my cat, lol. He has a voice, he knows he has a voice, and often times will not shut up ahhh.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    i am one hundred percent a cat person, although i don't mind dogs too badly despite my allergies to them. i have four kitties that i love very much who are constantly all over me and/or in my room. three of them are related as i raised them from birth in my home, and one is a kitten we rescued.

something about cats has always been drawing to me.. perhaps it's the love only a feline can give you.

Years
  • I grew up having both, one dog and one cat, but I felt like the bond you have with a dog (by virtue of it being more domesticated) was a bit stronger than one with a cat. Don't get me wrong, I loved my cat just as much as my dog, but the relationship with the dog was always stronger, I felt.

Years
  • I'm more of a cat person, myself, I like dogs too, though! But I find they're a bit high maintenance for me, I like that cats can be independent but also loving.

Super Prism

Sylveon Enthusiast
    Years
  • I prefer cats. I'm more of a timid person, so large dogs jumping all over me makes me a little nervous XP. I'm fine with small dogs, though, as long as they have a more relaxed personality (which mine does).

Cats, to me, feel more human. They don't worship you like a god and base their livelihood around your attention, they simply live and interact with you. Like a kind of furry, slightly more needy roommate! Though I will admit, there's probably a lot more cats with bad personalities than dogs with bad personalities.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • Cats! I love how [generally] calm and independent they are. Something about watching them just makes me feel calm, and it cheers me up a little when I see them. While a cat meowing constantly can be just as annoying after a while as a dog's barking, it's a lot less grating (and sometimes, still very cute) in comparison.

I used to like dogs a lot when I was a little kid, but... something about them just became unappealing when I got older. People in my neighborhood have a bad habit of walking their dogs without a leash, not cleaning up their messes on the sidewalk, letting them out in the morning by themselves to use the bathroom on other neighbors' lawns, and being bystanders when their dogs charge at and jump on people (or try to cover it up by saying, "Oh, [dog] is just excited!") - which happens all the time. The sound of their barking hurts my ears, and I don't like how hyper they generally are. My mom hates cats and loves dogs, though, so it's likely I could end up with one for a pet, anyway.

Years
  • cats <3

I've owned like 4 dogs in my life, and only 2 cats. I like cats much more. I know I have a dog theme. Like pretty much everyone else here, I like the relaxed, independent personality of most cats. It suits me more than the playful, in-your-face personality of dogs.

Back