• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

CBC's Tutoring Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
6hIx1.png

Welcome! The Tutoring Corner is here for new battlers who are intimidated by competitive battling, want to improve their skills, interested in getting together in community activities, or simply bored during summer break. Additionally, this is also an attempt to welcome new members into PC's battling community, and maybe make the community feel more like one. With the Tutoring Corner, competitive battling could be easier to learn for PC members. The Tutoring Corner may also make battling much more interesting for our members, seeing as it can get a little stale at times. You may think "oh...this is going to be a failure like the last tutoring programs," but after those mistakes we've made in the past, the system is much more streamlined and flexible, along with other features instead of just one-on-one tutoring. Knowing this, I hope you give this another chance. Instead of me rambling, let's continue on!

IHz3Y.png

Classes are the main feature that we will be holding, along with one-on-one tutoring for additional learning. To sign up for them, simply read the sign up sections for them (it is better to read what it is about first though). In the future, we will have more activities for the community that are focused on separate subjects of battling (team building and battling strategy), which will be explained at the bottom of this post! All of these events are optional if you want to participate in them or not, you can join one-on-one tutoring without having to join the classes, and so on.

→ For majority of these activities, you will need to download Pokémon Online
We use it to communicate with other battlers (and it's basically the IRC of the Competitive Battling Center). It's another way of participating in the community.

→ All tutoring will be for 5th generation OverUsed (standard play)
Though a lot of what you learn can be applied to other tiers. However, we're considering on having a class for the UnderUsed tier soon.

l4Xsf.png

Classes are a new event which work similar to actual classes. Everyone gets together at a certain date and time, and the experienced battlers teach beginners everything we know about battling. We will follow a schedule, or structure, on what we will teach throughout the class. During the class, beginners may ask questions pertaining to the current subject being discussed (and can ask for help when everyone creates their teams for the themed tournaments). We want to make sure you understand everything, so be sure to speak up if you are confused! Once the teaching is over, we will hold four tournaments, each with a different theme (the return of Community Night!). This lets the students practice what they have learned, and also allows other battlers to join in! Note that the tournaments will be very lax and for fun, so if you lose, don't be discouraged.

→ Note that there is no need to sign up to be considered a tutor for classes
(One-on-one tutoring, on the other hand, require sign ups.) Anyone may contribute to the discussion and post if they believe we missed something. There will be a few members who will lead classes so it runs smoothly though. If any of the server staff sees that you're posting misleading info constantly, we will warn you to stop, and if you continue we may mute.

We will appreciate if regulars still join, even if you don't teach, to participate in the tournaments (or if you're just interested in the classes)! We may even have some extra stuff at the end of the class.

6ld3T.png

For more understanding on how the classes will work, this is the schedule for what we plan on teaching! Since this is the first time we've held organized classes, we may not be able to teach everything within a reasonable time. If that happens, the class will be continued later. I also would like to mention that there is no specific time each subject will end; it will end when we decide that there is nothing else left about it to teach. We hope to finish the entire class within 60-90 minutes (excluding the tournaments) however.

Ani443MS.png
First Class (may change)

---Introduction to Competitive Battling

---Basics
--Natures, EVs, and IVs
--Clauses and Tiers
--Roles
--Movesets
--Items
-Additional Info (that we may have missed)

---Team Building Basics
--Types of Teams
--Team Core
--Team Synergy
-Additional Info

---Battling Strategy
--Team Preview
--Prediction (and Switching)
--Long Term Thinking
-Additional Info

---Tournaments
--First Theme: OverUsed
--Second Theme: OverUsed (a second tour)
--Third Theme: Challenge Cup

Ani444MS.png
Second Class

The second class is currently undecided, we will plan it after the first class has been finished. We will have more tournament themes in this class, by the way!

The first class focuses on beginner themes, while the second class (which hosted at a different date and time by the way!) is going to be a more in-depth take on battling. We plan to only get the simplest topics on battling in the first class so that everyone can participate in the tournaments without being puzzled. They're separated mainly because of time restrictions, and it gives our students some time to practice battling before we jump into the rest.

6fnJd.png

→ No disrespecting anyone
No one is good when they start battling; don't expect new battlers to be the same skill level as you.

→ Everyone must have good sportsmanship
This means no constant bragging over beating a well known player; no belittling someone's win because there was hax (poor luck), we don't care if you were going to win but a Pokémon of yours was hit by a Critical Hit (especially since these tours will be carefree, like I said earlier); and so on. If you cannot handle being a good sport, it's better off for everyone if you leave.

→ No one may use the "disallow spectators" clause in tournament battles
Students might want to watch the match for additional observing on battling strategy. Again, winning isn't the main objective of these tours so don't worry about people seeing your team's details.

The PokéCommunity and Pokémon Online Server rules still apply

c46tS.png

Now that you have read how this works and the guidelines, post that you are interested (if you are) in participating and also mention dates and times that you are available (for arranging the time the class will begin). Posting isn't required to be able to take part in the class, but it's preferred that you do. Also, if you posted the times you're available in Vrai's Blog Entry, you don't have to post.

→ There is no application for classes
The only thing we would like to know is timezone and when you're available, and that isn't needed. All you have to do is save the date, and be there. However, if you sign up with the one-on-one tutoring application, you don't need to post anything for classes (since you already have).

dnI8R.png

This is undecided at the moment, but we will most likely have it on weekend and during a time when it's possible for our members in both America and Europe (maybe Australia too) to participate. We want everyone's opinion on when we should have it, so it's more convenient and successful. We will have a log of the entire class, but we encourage you to still make the effort to come and participate, or this may not be a success and could stop running! Not to mention, you will miss out on the tournaments and the overall experience.

ybr9A.png

This is the traditional pairing up a student with a tutor, so that they can teach their own battling knowledge! After a student and tutor are paired up, you both will have one month, and then the tutor will be assigned a different student. There will be 8 tutors and 8 students.

c46tS.png

Regulars may not apply as a student, due to small amount of tutors. Feel free to partake in the other events though!

In the case of tutor applicants, we are looking for people who have proven that they have a strong understanding of fundamental competitive battling concepts and know how to translate that to actual battles and winning. In other words, we're looking for regulars (members who are active in the forum/server), if only because they're the only people we know that meet the requirement. If you sign up and are passed over, that just means that we haven't seen enough of you to know if you're qualified. Come on the server and post in the main forum some more and you'll make it next time!

These are the applications you must fill out and post if you want to sign up. We will accept 8 students and tutors. You may not apply if you are banned on the Pokémon Online server, otherwise it makes it hard to communicate.

→ Please note that these applications are only for one-on-one tutoring!
If you plan on signing up for solely classes, see the sign up section for it. If you post these applications, I will add you to the one-on-one tutoring (for classes, you only need to show up).

Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username:
Timezone:
What do you feel you need to work on the most?
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?

Tutors

PC Pokémon Online Server Username:
Timezone:
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at?
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?

67BWW.png

Stay tuned! We have some events planned for community later on!

Ani445MS.png
special thanks to Smogon, Vrai, Anti, Luke, Aero, and everyone else for their support
Ani445MS.png

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
OMG Finally! 8D /signs.

Going for tutor this time around! :3

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Dracon Ometeor / Afternoon Delight / Rarity
Timezone: GMT +1
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? Synergy and Prediction, although Team Building is kinda above average. (:
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? lol work? I'm at school Mon-Fri and I'm there from like 8:30 - 15:30 I'll specify any other time off and junk.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I got into competitive battling a lot more when Gen V came out, so I guess Gen V is also a strong point for me. :3

Last edited:

gameplayer56

Loving Latias Forever
Years
I can finally learn faster

Student
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: gameplayer56
Timezone: PST (-8 GMT, I believe)
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Predicting
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm on most of the time, soEvery 2 weeks, I won't be here on the weekend, starting this weekend...
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? None..

Last edited:

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Aero
Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (-5:00)
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? Team building I guess and I've gotten increasingly better at identifying threats to teams.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? It varies. Kind of like Patrick Star's stupidity. I'm always on MSN though, so if you can't reach me through PC / PO, I can get messages on MSN.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? Ok, I'm basically applying for the position as I want to redeem myself from not really teaching Karpman anything. I also don't think we should start the individual tutoring program instantly, but we should offer a little preparation for the tutors. When I took Karpman as a student, despite turning him into a lovely asset of the CBC community, I really didn't teach him much in terms of battling...I think I just flat out didn't know what to teach him. I need a little time for preparation if anything, and I'm sure other tutors would agree that it would be a good idea.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2011
kind of a "regular" but i suck so i want to be a student, if more sign up though feel free to push mw down list for those that are new.

Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username:spartan127
Timezone:umm whatever california is lol PacificTimeZone
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team building
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? work 6pm-4am six days a week and usually sleep til 12-1pm
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? not really no lol

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
THIS IS AMAZING.
XQ7Ks.jpg

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Vrai
  • Timezone: US Central, whatever that is. GMT -6?
  • What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? I'm probably best at what happens once you start playing. Long term planning, overall prediction skills, minimizing hax... all of those are my forte.
  • Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I've got weight training in the morning from 6-11 AM. Outside of that, it just depends on when I'm online and when I am not. I'm usually on the server most of the day and on MSN even more than that.
  • Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I'm a cool guy. B) but yeah I'm just like Aero, trying to make up for previous failures. I'll be much more prepared this time, though, so stay classy. :)

edit: syndrome's sig is not true!!!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Isuck.jpeg

Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: TrashTNT
Timezone: EST, GMT-4
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Everything
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? School from 8-3 for 3 days, and then Im just about free for most days.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? no

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
OMGOMGOMG! It's finally here! :DDD
I can finally be a good battler instead of spammer lol. I'm kind of a regular on PO, but I'm not good. D:

Student
PC Pokemon Online Server Username: -Not- a Solar Oval/ Solar Oval/ Solarowl/ Solar Owl

Timezone: PST, I think lol, or GMT -8

What do you feel you need to work on most?
I have trouble deciding whether to predict or under predict. I usually can determine it from the opponent's earlier moves, but some, like D_A, like to vary it. My main problem is making a team. Making a team is impossible for me. I just don't know what to use. I have a minor problem in dealing with opposing threats, but only a few.

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule(like when you work, for example)? No, it's summer, so I'm basically free.

Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? A few.
1. Sorry for posting both here and in the blog, I just wasn't sure, so I posted here too.

Last edited:

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I don't think that I want to do one-on-one, at least yet, but I do want to attend the classes. I posted in the blog what times I'm free but I'll be free pretty much most of the time from 8am - 10pm GMT -6. I can't wait to attend the classes! I really just want help building a team for the Gen V metagame.

Years
Applying as tutor unless D_A wants to teach me stall

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Karpman, Aoki, probably a ton of other usernames that I don't remember.
Timezone: Eastern US, GMT-5
What aspect of competitive battling are you best at?: Prediction, I make amazing predictions from time to time, I'm sort of like the Andrew Bynum of Battling. My team building is also pretty good and should get you pretty far before you begin to leave the nest and such. Your grammar might even improve by spending time around me!
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Nah, it's summer, timezones don't matter to me, as I can stay up all night.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I'm not doing 1 on 1.

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Jake
Timezone: GMT -5 (Eastern, whatever)
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team building, I really just don't know Gen V at all =3
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I usually work nights, so the day is good, and after 9 PM is okay too
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I'm awesome and D_A made me post

Years
Student

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Senoue
Timezone: -8 GMT
What do you feel you need to work on the most? I feel I need to work on my team building and balancing out my EV/IVs considering I don't know what is the right balance.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I am in school until June 16th, after that, I have plenty of free time.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I try to be a quick learner, and I don't tend to give up until I can get a grasp on the subject.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Applying as a student.

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: twisted
Timezone: GMT or UTC It's the same thing isn't it? -5:00, EST.

What do you feel you need to work on the most?
Pretty much everything listed under Team Building Basics & Battling Strategy.

Not that I can think of.

Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself?
I'm a dirty birdie? Idek, nothing that relates to battling. :P

grodkorv

i like trains..
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2014
im interested in the classes!
where will they take place? in the forum, in the chat?

Btw, this is a great idea! looking forward to it :)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
im interested in the classes!
where will they take place? in the forum, in the chat?

Btw, this is a great idea! looking forward to it :)

They'll take place on Pokemon Online (there's an underlined link in the first post). :3

marcc5m

what
Years
PC Pokémon Online Server Username: Haha, like I have PO...
Timezone: GMT
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Umm...winning?
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? School every weekday from 9:00 to 3:20, and it takes me about twenty minutes to get back home. I usually wake up at some time around the afternoon on weekends/other days I'm not at school for whatever reason. I have 7 siblings, so I'm very busy a lot of the time, along with having my hack that I badly need to resume work on. Sometimes I watch TV.
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear.

FC is in sig. I've VM'd Wolflare already.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Ah, probably should apply as a student now that I feel like getting back into

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: ShadowLakitu
Timezone: Australian Eastern Standard Time: GMT +10
What do you feel you need to work on the most? The metagame, mostly; team building and stuff. I can probably get on the prediction thing with a bit more experience. Oh, and synergy would help lololol.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm not gonna do anything much on school days and Saturdays are a bit ish. Sunday afternoons give me total freedom, although around 5-6 on weekdays I can manage too, I s'pose.

And nothing else. :P

Last edited:

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
Applying to be a student. :D

PC Pokémon Online Server Username: InfernoRogue
Timezone: Pacific (GMT -8)
What do you feel you need to work on the most? Um, everything pretty much. Like predicting, team building, etc.
Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm usually free at any time of the day, now that I'm on break. :)
Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? Um, yay? 8D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back