• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Chain Fishing

Years
  • Yeah, I'd assume turning the game off would break the chain, just as turning your game off in the middle of using the PokeRadar breaks your chain.

And yeah, thanks to my Octillery and its Suction Cups ability I always get a bite. Never missed one in a near-200 chain~

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I caught 2 more shinys yesterday, both poliwhirls, named hypno toad and frokie's bro.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I have a Super Rod and EVERY PLACE I fish, I only get Polliwhirl. Twice a Basculine.

The same one or two in ALL areas. Is it just bad rolls, or do you HAVE TO chain fish to get a bigger variety of Pokemon????

Years
  • You just need to go the right places.

With a super rod I could see on route 8 Staryu and Clauncher, and below Ambrette town Horsea and Clauncher.

There's also Chinchou and remoraid right in front of the Tower of Mastery.

Pr3

Years
  • I need an honest opinion... Do I have a better chance of chaining a shiny dratini or breeding one with Masuda's method?

Years
  • I DIDN'T BELIEVE

NOW I DO

Spoiler:

Got this sexy beast after a chain of 40. Really happy and will try for more later! For those trying, dont give up!

Also sorry for the pic being large. From my phone.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I was fishing on Route 3, no Suction Cups or anything...I just wanted to complete my PokéDex. After fishing in the same spot 3 times I found a shiny Gyarados. Not the most valuable shiny, but it was fun using a shiny Mega.

Granted, I haven't had any luck since then, probably because I wasn't looking for a shiny that first time, ha ha. But I'll probably try again some other time, this is a very simple method with nice results.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    I need an honest opinion... Do I have a better chance of chaining a shiny dratini or breeding one with Masuda's method?

you have a way better chance by fish chaining the masuda method. except youre only limited to water types

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I've tried this three times so far, and have found shinies on two of my three chains (no luck on the first chain, and I eventually got distracted reading the internet while fishing and forgot to reel in). Both were shiny Horsea (unfortunately both with neutral natures, but they're my first shinies since gen 4 if I don't count the shiny that Bianca killed in W2, so I'll take them). I found the first one on a chain of about 20-30, and the second one after a chain of a couple hundred (I haven't yet reached the point where the guy tells me what my longest chain is).

I wish there was a way to ensure better IVs for them, though. They don't seem to have the guaranteed two/three perfect IVs that you see on friend safari/legendary Pokémon in this game, and my first Horsea's IVs were terrible (fortunately, the second one's were a bit better).

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2016
    HOLY FISHTICKS GUYS! I just caught my FISHSTICKS after 20 reels, sweet! :D I'm going to assume that the fisherman who you have to beat at consecutive fishing is referring to Shiny Pokemon when he says that there's a chance of catching Rarer Pokemon if you have larger fishing streaks?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Never thought I'd be looking for a non-guaranteed shiny Gyarados, but I went fishing for Magikarp today. After two 50+ streaks broken, I reeled a shiny Magikarp on like the fifth Pokemon of my next streak haha.

So does anybody know if you can run from the pokemon without breaking the chain?

Yes you can.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2015
    I got a shiny dragonite, relicanth, octillery and basculin from this.
    I think it's too easy and will be removed by the next gen.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2013
    Is anyone willing to trade a Shiny Dratini for two Shiny Basculins? I caught two, back to back but don't want them. The lower the level for Dratini the better I guess, but it doesn't really matter to me.

Edit: I'll throw in 3 Shiny Basculins. I'm like so desperate for a shiny Dratini.

Last edited:

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Oh man, I'm awful at this ^_^

My longest chain was 21. I always get a bite thanks to Malamar's Suction Cups ability, but I keep reeling it in too slow apparently. This is gonna take forever, I'm currently fishing for a shiny Horsea in Cyllage City.

[EDIT] Pfff, just got Shiny Clauncher with a chain of 22 {XD}

Last edited:

Universal

Musician
    Years
  • Got a shiny Shellder on my 12th reel. Meanwhile I was at 45 and got nothing. .And was attemping to get Skrelp. .It has Skill Link but ehh. xDD Hurray I guess?

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • i have got 3 shiny Horsea, Relicanth, Barboach and Clauncher. Highest chain: 44, lowest was 7. You still need some luck so dont give up ;) this was in a Time span of 2 days for Me, but i have had alot of shiny luck in almost every game..

btw a chain breaks when:
    - You move
    - nothing is biting (not even a nibble saying)
    - reel your rod in too slow
    - caught a pokemon
    - finally encountered your beloved shiny

hope i helped for some People, happy hunting! ^_^

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I didn't think the chain broke when you caught your shiny tbh.

Back