• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'd be fine with you reviving my tcg challenge as long as you give me credit. I reworked the rules a ton compared to the older versions lol. I'd revive it myself but I have two things I'll be posting soon so right now isn't ideal. If you can't do it now, you could always wait on slow little me to do it. :P

I think delta species would be better with a new thread considering the rules had an overhaul in the middle of its run.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I'd be fine with you reviving my tcg challenge as long as you give me credit. I reworked the rules a ton compared to the older versions lol. I'd revive it myself but I have two things I'll be posting soon so right now isn't ideal. If you can't do it now, you could always wait on slow little me to do it. :P

I think delta species would be better with a new thread considering the rules had an overhaul in the middle of its run.
    I like your new Avatar, Jak! I want to change mine too but I'm afraid to while I'm still [Supporter]Sage Ghetsis[/Supporter]. >.< The one I want to use would look better next to [Supporter]Necrum[/Supporter], but I still have 2 more months to wait hnnnnng.

I definitely think a new thread is the way to go on DS Challenge.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Thanks! I know how that feels about changing avatars. I feel weird if I'm not using a Jak avatar haha. We'll pretend the Fenny's name is Jak.

I was looking at stuff related to my next challenge I'm making and found a spoiler. -cries all night-

Tek

Years
    A Norse mythology challenge definitely sounds neat! I'd take it if I didn't have so many already. I'm about to finish a couple but I've got a Japanese SS on its way which means I'll be immediately replacing those challenge with another >.<

Mythology challenges are fun in general. I'd love to make a Native American mythology challenge, but I can't at the moment (see above). The Native American myths and folklore just have this wonderful playful nature, and the gods are very human - fallible and flawed - which makes them that much more endearing and relatable.

Also, any feedback on my breeding challenge? I keep wondering why nobody's taken it, since this community is full of breeders. Don't know if too hard, or too complicated, not pretty enough... Or are the breeders round these parts just not into challenges? And challenge takers perhaps not into breeding :/

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I think your challenge is trying to incorporate too much. If it was just breeding, that's be fine, but the mammals and fish and stuff like that I think adds a little too much. Someone could probably better explain it...I'm on a phone so I can't just go pull it up rn lol.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Also, any feedback on my breeding challenge? I keep wondering why nobody's taken it, since this community is full of breeders. Don't know if too hard, or too complicated, not pretty enough... Or are the breeders round these parts just not into challenges? And challenge takers perhaps not into breeding :/
    I'm personally an avid breeder, but a lot of other Challengers are less so. That doesn't mean they couldn't though for the sake of playing that challenge.
    I think your challenge is trying to incorporate too much. If it was just breeding, that's be fine, but the mammals and fish and stuff like that I think adds a little too much. Someone could probably better explain it...I'm on a phone so I can't just go pull it up rn lol.
    I think what Jak's trying to say is that it would be more fun if there was a challenge where you could only use Pokemon you bred in game, and a challenge where you only use Pokemon from a single Egg Group, instead of combining them into a single Super Challenge.

Last edited:

Tek

Years
    I think what Jak's trying to say is that it would be more fun if there was a challenge where you could only use Pokemon you bred in game, and a challenge where you only use Pokemon from a single Egg Group, instead of combining them into a single Super Challenge.

I could see that being the case. It never occurred to me to do it that way. It does seem that removing the egg group restriction would kill the 'challenge' part of it though... I suppose I could just migrate that part into the Expert mode, and either raise the limit for Normal mode or remove it entirely. I may do that right now, actually.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    There's already an Egg Group Challenge too, so if you kept the egg groups in yours, people will migrate to the other one since yours is essentially a beefed up Egg Group challenge.

Tek

Years
    There's already an Egg Group Challenge too, so if you kept the egg groups in yours, people will migrate to the other one since yours is essentially a beefed up Egg Group challenge.

Hm yeah probably. The Egg Group restriction is now only for Expert mode challengers. I've changed the rules to allow for Masuda Method to be used, because who doesn't like shinies? I also made the Expert mode a hair less restrictive.

Thanks for the feedback, you two. At first I didn't really want to change the rules but I think I actually like the challenge better now. For one thing, we don't have an Egg Group challenge alongside an "Egg Groups + Breeding" challenge anymore.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I hope your challenge succeeds this time around. I really don't like seeing challenges, especially unique and awesome ideas, failing. I've had some of my own do that and it sucks. I'm gonna be reposting one soon enough though, so hopefully more people will jump in. I think there are more regulars now than there were when I first made it, so that should help.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I was thinking of a challenge where you'd battle gyms with pokemon of the same type. I thought it would be a pretty fun accomplishment in the end; being a real "PokeMaster-of-all-types-I-owned-you-all" kind of thing. When you reach elite four, you may choose any pokemon you've used so far. I don't really know if people would be up for it, though. It's tough and prolonged (some battles would seem too long and boring, like in grass gyms; plus all that training). lol. It also might require hacking (e.g rock-types for Kanto), so that's another minus - though, perhaps, exceptions may be made.

Last edited:

Tek

Years
    I was thinking of a challenge where you'd battle gyms with pokemon of the same type. I thought it would be a pretty fun accomplishment in the end; being a real "PokeMaster-of-all-types-I-owned-you-all" kind of thing. When you reach elite four, you may choose any pokemon you've used so far. I don't really know if people would be up for it, though. It's tough and prolonged (some battles would seem too long and boring, like in grass gyms; plus all that training). lol. It also might require hacking (e.g rock-types for Kanto), so that's another minus - though, perhaps, exceptions may be made.

Heh, that sounds pretty fun. It would almost certainly need trading/hacking though.

Even in the games where you can get the types before the gyms, there are only a couple choices for a lot of them. So most of the runs would be really similar without bringing in Pokemon.

Which isn't terrible, I think. Seems like a lot of people play on emulators, so hax are generally easy. I'm not sure whether many people have two Nintendo handhelds though.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Exactly. But yeah, being hack-centric is only what made me reluctant to create my own thread. I'm not exactly fond of hacking in pokemon, myself (I think it's a huge hassle, even if I'd play on an emu); and it would be really hard for me to maintainit. I decided to toss the idea up here, if ever anyone wants it done. I'll probably try it out soon, even if there's no challenge thread ever made for it.. 'cause y'know, I wanna kick Misty's butt with my 500-dollar Gyarados.

Come to think of it, it's looks like an opposite version of the Champion Challenge. Reminds me too of Jak's 'ol Gym Challenge. ...haven't...ever...felt.like.Brock...must...do...soon.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Well the thing is, even challenges that can have hacking usually don't HAVE to have hacking. Really, Kanto, Hoenn, and Unova 1 are the only ones that have that problem, which is pretty easily remedied by not counting the first gym in those games. Otherwise there's no reason that this couldn't be done without hacking. Generally it's best not to require hacking if you can for the people who play on carts.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Well the thing is, even challenges that can have hacking usually don't HAVE to have hacking. Really, Kanto, Hoenn, and Unova 1 are the only ones that have that problem, which is pretty easily remedied by not counting the first gym in those games. Otherwise there's no reason that this couldn't be done without hacking. Generally it's best not to require hacking if you can for the people who play on carts.
    I share the same sentiments; I think many of us regulars do. Hack-centric is anything but eyecandy, but at the same time, this challenge in particular would seem so lifeless without the bigger variety to choose from - hence being less appealing (imo). I don't know, it's really just torn-up in between fun and challenging. It's possible without hacking, but people will either find it 'fun and challenging' or neither at all; there'd be no mid-line.

anyway, to point out some more holes: Kanto's also problematic with missable Pikachu (non-PokeYellow; for Surge) Forgot about diglett's cave and cutting...500-dollar Magikarp (for misty). I'm pretty sure there weren't any Ice pokemon available before Pryce, either.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I share the same sentiments; I think many of us regulars do. Hack-centric is anything but eyecandy, but at the same time, this challenge in particular would seem so lifeless without the bigger variety to choose from - hence being less appealing (imo). I don't know, it's really just torn-up in between fun and challenging. It's possible without hacking, but people will either find it 'fun and challenging' or neither at all; there'd be no mid-line.

anyway, to point out some more holes: Kanto's also problematic with missable Pikachu (non-PokeYellow; for Surge) Forgot about diglett's cave and cutting...500-dollar Magikarp (for misty). I'm pretty sure there weren't any Ice pokemon available before Pryce, either.
    Kanto could also bring along a Squrtle for Misty. And it is in fact possible to get Cloyster by fishing before Pryce. Plus Lapras on Fridays. And as for the other point, part of what makes challenges challenging is working with what's available to you and making it work. I think hacking would be detrimental on every gym except Brock's and Roxanne's. Everyone else it's just the challenge of what you can find.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

...part of what makes challenges challenging is working with what's available to you and making it work.
    To an extent, I would say yes, but as a general factor, I'd have to disagree. What makes challenges actually challenging is the fact that we follow a set of rules; working with what's available and making it work is only what comes next - and that is where the "fun factor" is decided by an individual.

Being forced to use very limited pokemon is not everyone's cup of tea, that's why I think many challenge makers simply allow hacking -- even if the challenge is completely possible without. Convenience. If anything, these are completely optional.

There are people who have fun by simply following strict and limited rules, but there are those (more or less, "casuals") who just want to go through a given theme while having a lot of freedom. I tend to tilt on both sides from time to time.

It's hard to put up some challenges, especially the difficult kinds. It's like telling people that this bitter-looking drink can be ingested, but the only way to make some even dare try the thing is to pair it with salt, cheese, or milk.

I have probably misled you when I mentioned that "it might be required to hack." For that, I do admit that it would have been unnecessary. I wasn't thinking clearly. My issue for the hacking part was more on the freedom of choice, looking at all the options in general, than actually making the challenge simply work as it is :/

Last edited:

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    If you want to get a wider variety of Pokémon without hacking, you could always go to 386-493-649 hacks, like Sacred Gold, Fire Red Omega, etc. The only problem is that it does require you to do some 'hacking' to get them, but you could play through the games without having to hack Pokémon before each gym. However you'd still have the same problem for people who play on actual cartridges.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back