• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

If you want to get a wider variety of Pokémon without hacking, you could always go to 386-493-649 hacks, like Sacred Gold, Fire Red Omega, etc. The only problem is that it does require you to do some 'hacking' to get them, but you could play through the games without having to hack Pokémon before each gym. However you'd still have the same problem for people who play on actual cartridges.
    exactly, and that's not ideal. It's not a solution, in fact. On that note, I don't even recall Sacred Gold ever being completed...it was still missing stuff. But oh well... I'm still glad to read what others have to say.

I've been scanning through the past and dead challenges lately, I might revive one of those instead.

Years
    I wouldn't mind playing one of those hacks, but one, i'm on a Mac so i've never been able to find a good DS emulator, and two, I still just prefer playing the casual games. Admittedly though, i've watched plenty of videos of them, and Drayano's revamps of sucky Pokémon are quite interesting. I know that in BBVW2's Challenge Mode, Iris gets friggin' Latios and Latias. :O That i'd love to try.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I still say that for a challenge like that hacking is completely unnecessary except where I specified. It's not about catering to everyone. As you clearly stated. Everyone has different taste in challenges, and I think this one would work best as a more restrictive one. I am personally of the belief that if the challenge doesn't have a means to force you to need something from outside the game, for example, Random Pokemon Challenge has plenty of situations where a person would need to hack to get Pokemon, then it shouldn't allow it. Almost every gym in every game has Pokemon of the same type as those gyms available so why let people hack? I don't know what you think wouldn't be fun about it being restricting, that's what a challenge is, a series of rules and restrictions. And as long as they're not super convoluted it's generally going to be fun.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I just thought that, since hacking-in a pokemon didn't really break the point of the challenge itself...why not? If people wanted to restrict themselves further, they could always ignore the giveaways or even be more creative, such as implementing their own restrictions.

But maybe you're right. I really should stop thinking about catering a challenge for everyone. I tend to do this a lot...on many things. I thought the challenge was fun as it was, as well. Should've stopped worrying then and there XD

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I just thought that, since hacking-in a pokemon didn't really break the point of the challenge itself...why not? If people wanted to restrict themselves further, they could always ignore the giveaways or even be more creative, such as implementing their own restrictions.

But maybe you're right. I really should stop thinking about catering a challenge for everyone. I tend to do this a lot...on many things. I thought the challenge was fun as it was, as well. Should've stopped worrying then and there XD
    Yeah, it's no problem. There's always a degree to which you do have to be able to make the challenge as accessible as you can. I mean you obviously want it to be playable by a lot of people, but there's always a limit. It could be something like if there's less than 2 Pokemon available of the type by the gym they can hack something in. That way the gyms that have none are covered and people don't have to deal with solo running a gym with a Pokemon they haven't had long, which can be pretty hard.

I imagine fighting Jasmine would suck, lmao. You basically have to catch a Magnemite and hope it's holding a Metal Coat. Maybe twice so you can get Scizor and Steelix.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Forretress is sad. Dem Spikes could hurt Steelix. Too bad can't roar XD

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
    But wouldn't such a challenge be really heavy on grinding? I mean you'd have to get new Pokés for every gym... On the other hand, what's a challenge without challenge?

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2021
    But wouldn't such a challenge be really heavy on grinding? I mean you'd have to get new Pokés for every gym... On the other hand, what's a challenge without challenge?

Well, molivious could make a rule like the optional rule Marriland used in his Platinum Nuzlocke run (Really big on Pokemon if you haven't heard of him; I would suggest you go check him out on YouTube), where you have a level limit. What Marriland did was that if his Pokemon went over the highest level of the next Gym Leader anywhere before that battle he had to release it. This would prevent excessive grinding and really make it ore of a challenge; where the battle would rely most of all on skill.

I think I'm going to beta test this and see how it goes for me. I will let you know how it turns out, molivious.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Well, molivious could make a rule like the optional rule Marriland used in his Platinum Nuzlocke run (Really big on Pokemon if you haven't heard of him; I would suggest you go check him out on YouTube), where you have a level limit. What Marriland did was that if his Pokemon went over the highest level of the next Gym Leader anywhere before that battle he had to release it. This would prevent excessive grinding and really make it ore of a challenge; where the battle would rely most of all on skill.

I think I'm going to beta test this and see how it goes for me. I will let you know how it turns out, molivious.
    I don't think he was saying overgrinding was a problem, it was the fact that most of the play through would be a grind because each new gym you need to have new Pokemon for. But right now it's the same thing in the Champion Challenge so I don't think that would be an issue really.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Naughty as it sounds, I'm totally a grinder. I'll spend hours getting ready for one gym sometimes.

Also, I have like three or four challenges I want to post now. I've gone insane. :( One is a revival, one is totally fresh that I've been planning for a while, one is something I've wanted to post for YEARS but never get around to it, and the other, which is unlikely to happen, is a revival as well. lmao

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

You don't necessarily have to wait until the respective gym to come up before capturing a pokemon of that type. You may easily train future teams/battlers early on while working on your current ones. The rule only required same-types for Gym Battles, after all.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
    You don't necessarily have to wait until the respective gym to come up before capturing a pokemon of that type. You may easily train future teams/battlers early on while working on your current ones. The rule only required same-types for Gym Battles, after all.

Yeah I might try it anyway... at the very least I can get a load of medium-trained Pokémon for the Pokédex...

Try it out, that is, after I finish my Black playthough... never actually played a 5th gen game until now :3c

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    I was away for about 3 days, Been busy watching a crap ton of movies with my girlfriend, haha. Nobody noticed I was gone anyways. Forever alone.

Well, the Norse challenge will be done by next week for sure! :)
    I'll just need someone who can make awesome CSS to make the thread very appealing! :D

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I was away for about 3 days, Been busy watching a crap ton of movies with my girlfriend, haha. Nobody noticed I was gone anyways. Forever alone.

Well, the Norse challenge will be done by next week for sure! :)
    I'll just need someone who can make awesome CSS to make the thread very appealing! :D
    I can help you out with that, I need to practice anyway for my Web Basics class.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back