• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Change as RBY are brought to the modern era

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • Do you think there will be any major changes (if any) to the RBY games? Or do you think they will return in their full, original selves as they were when they first introduced us to the Pokemon World?

I do hope they tweak a few things here and there. Not too much though. But considering we've had RBY, GSC, FRLG, HGSS which all featured us travelling through Kanto, I'd hope they'd add something new. It could even be small. Significant enough to make the gaming experience enjoyable, but also small enough not to ruin the nostalgia. I'm not too sure what something like that would be though! I'm just thinking in general terms.

What about you?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I think they'll be pretty faithful to the original titles, with the exception of the trading changes. Most VC games are just ports, and I doubt this will be a major exception. I don't know if they'll make any efforts to remove any of the glitches, or if they'll just leave those in. Frankly, I can't decide whether I want the games to arrive in their full, glitchy glory or not.

There are a lot of things that might seem like steps backwards, but I think there might be more backlash if GF changed things than if they just stuck the games on the eShop as is, flaws and all. So they'll probably take the safer, easier route. I don't think it'll affect their profits either way.

That said, I wonder if we'll still have to save every time we change boxes. I've never heard a good explanation for why we have to do that (I assume it has something to do with the way the data is structured and accessed?), but it was a pain, and I'd like to avoid that if possible (though I'm not optimistic). I also wonder if they'll do anything about the flawed mechanics that they fixed in Stadium (rolled-over damage counters, some moves not working right, etc.).

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I'm so excited for the ports! I also think they will keep them very similar, though it will be interesting to see how they are adapted to operate as a VC game. I still haven't gotten OR/AS and will probably opt to get the VC port of Red before buying either one.

Years
  • I remember posting in a thread about a second set of R/B/Y remakes a few weeks ago and I said I only wanted them remade if they remained faithful to the original games. Obviously since these are just ports, I hope that's the case even more strongly. All of the glitches definitely need to be in the game and to be fair for many players these extended playtime so there's reasonable incentive for Nintendo to include them.

Hopefully any changes are positive and minor e.g. fixing translation issues or adding a way to obtain Mew.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I remember posting in a thread about a second set of R/B/Y remakes a few weeks ago and I said I only wanted them remade if they remained faithful to the original games. Obviously since these are just ports, I hope that's the case even more strongly. All of the glitches definitely need to be in the game and to be fair for many players these extended playtime so there's reasonable incentive for Nintendo to include them.

Hopefully any changes are positive and minor e.g. fixing translation issues or adding a way to obtain Mew.
    Even if they fix the Mew Glitch there's plenty of ways to obtain Mew. Plenty of them. I only wish I was kidding. The players REALLY don't need another way to get Mew.

Personally I hope they just port the games, glitches and all. It's pretty much impossible to fix all of them anyway; the engine itself is terribly broken, and some of the glitches present in Gen I are in Gen II also simply because of that. Besides, the many, many, many glitches are just part of the charm. There's not a lot of games in which you can program your own scripts and minigames and it NOT be intended by the programmers. Or catch eldritch abominations and have them fight for you. Or exceed the boundaries of existence and get items that give you god powers. I could go on but I'd take up the entire page.

SeleneHime

The pen may be mightier than the sword, but I'll t
    Years
  • While I'd like a nice port, there are a few small things I'd like updated:
    * Running shoes - Probably my biggest gripe with the classics, even growing up on them, is how painfully slow transit is without your bike.

* Updated movepools - Again, I love the originals, but a lot of the pokemon had some pretty sorry selection and this left only about half of them truly usable if you wanted to play the entire game with them.

* Bigger bag - Just a plus, really, but I wouldn't mind it.

(Edited in.) * Rebattle trainers - Probably one of the most useful GSC functions, is being able to rematch old trainers, both for funds and training up weaker pokemon pre-E4.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Things I could see being/would like to see be changed/added (that haven't already been mentioned):

• Type chart uipdated to that of Gen. II-V, minus Dark and Steel types. (So Ghost would be super effective against Psychic, Ice would be not very effective against Fire, Bug would be not very effective against Poison, and Poison would be neutral against Bug.)
    • Cable Club renamed to Wireless Club or something similar. (Wouldn't make sense to keep the name when there's no cable involved
    • Cut, Surf, and Strength usable on the overworld without having to go into the party menu. (like in every other generation)
    • A Move Deleter, since there would otherwise be no way to make a Pokémon forget an HM move.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I don't think they'll fix any glitches or anything (from what I hear, the coding in RBY is a mess) , but they will have to at least remove the slot machines for legal reasons.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I think I have some changes that I could think of, but I'm not sure if it'll happen or not.

- Sometimes I'm wondering if RBY will keep on its Type matchups or updating it for the consistency of XY and ORAS, and updating several Pokémon's type as well (like Clefairy which gains Fairy type or Magnemite which is half-Steelies).
    - Unlimited usage of TMs. It was a small change in Gen V, but it's beneficial as well so I think it should be carried over as well.
    - Better management of items, so that items, TMs and Potions can be placed in proper place and properly sorted, and if possible, Gym Badges to be moved to inside of Trainer Card, just like in latter games. Oh, and I hope the bag can hold more stuffs, too.

Last edited:

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I expect the slots to be removed, but if they actually kept the slots feature there I'll be surprised.

Rettan

~Oddish_Smoker~
    Years
  • Well I would be happy if the Rocket Game Corner Slots continue to exist. It would not make sense for it since it's basically part of the story line.
    Just hoping they don't replace it with some crappy voltorb flip game.

What I was actually wondering was, if the trades will only be local, or if they will also be vía Internet.

Also, will the glitches return? Like Missingno. with the old man glitch, or Mew in Nugget Bridge? I really hope the Mew in the Nugget Bridge continues!

Years
  • Much as i'd like some additional features, i doubt anything will be changed from the original games. Though i do hope they get rid of the MissingNo. glitch. While it's use at your own discretion, type of "cheat" it can actually has some unwanted side effects to your save file that people may not be aware of before attempting. And, since the gameboy was such a simplistic device, i don't think permanent damage was an issue but i do believe it could do some harm to people's 3ds.

i remember looking in my PC and every pkm sprite was !@#$'d up.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Much as i'd like some additional features, i doubt anything will be changed from the original games. Though i do hope they get rid of the MissingNo. glitch. While it's use at your own discretion, type of "cheat" it can actually has some unwanted side effects to your save file that people may not be aware of before attempting. And, since the gameboy was such a simplistic device, i don't think permanent damage was an issue but i do believe it could do some harm to people's 3ds.

i remember looking in my PC and every pkm sprite was !@#$'d up.
    While heavily dependent on the version you were playing Missingno. was far from the most harmful glitch in Pokemon R/B. All it did was scramble battle sprites and Hall of Fame data while duplicating whatever item was in your 6th slot by either 128 or 255, depending on whether you caught it or just defeated it. Most of the more harmful glitches were more reliably met via other means, like the Ditto Glitch, and while usually they just froze your game up there was a small chance they could trash your save file. Missingno. in Yellow did this to me once, and I'm not sure as to why, but the possibility does exist (though most of the time Missingno will either freeze your game or let you continue normally in Pokemon Yellow. It's very very rare for it to actually destroy save files.) As for permanent damage.. nah. As bad as some of the glitches can be I've never seen a cartridge or GB get bricked by it, so a 3DS with an emulator will probably be just fine.

But while I'm here.... do you think they could finally put something underneath that truck in Vermilion just for giggles? There's always been rumors about that thing having a Mew under it or some other thing, and it's driven me nuts for years. And of course there's that town that was cut that even has Poke Mart data that you can only access for a brief moment... and Bill's Garden... loads of urban legends concerning R/B/Y that would be really neat if addressed or referenced. And of course, having Gameshark or Action Replay compatibility would be nice too. Half the fun is being able to put in all kinds of cheat codes and make fun things happen.

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I've been spoiled with the option to choose a female player since Crystal, so part of me is so hoping they can somehow implement that choice into the games as they were originally planned, but... I know that won't happen, LOL.

They have already said that they plan on making the games as close to the original versions as possible, I think it will basically be the same experience with the added bonus of wireless connectivity. I really want to know if Missingno will still be in the game or not, and the Mew glitch. I've seen people wonder about the Game Corner, too.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    The UK site claims the games are rated 12 by the PEGI ratings board (though they don't have an entry on their site yet) which is implying the Game Corner is still in, at the expense that the games are rated higher than previous Pokemon games (though considering the people who will probably buy a 20 year old Game Boy game it's likely they don't really mind)

The chances of game bugs causing an emulator to have any negative effects on the 3DS except crash to the Home screen is extremely unlikely (I think one of the glitchy passwords in VC Metroid will lock up the system but that just requires you to reset the 3DS).
    I wouldn't expect many changes aside from potentially toning down some of the flashing effects in certain moves, though they already did that for English Red/Blue because they were made after the Porygon Incident (those changes will almost certainly be made to the Japanese games now too). The Old Man Glitch & the Mew Glitch are up in the air I guess (the Old Man glitch itself seems easy to fix in one way or another, and was already done in Yellow and some European versions of R/B)

Last edited:

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    It's not as much a port as it is emulated on an emulator. It'll most likely just be the original gb rom running on their official VC emulator.
    I'd like to be wrong about that, though. It would be pretty amazing if they actually re-coded it from scratch while still having it look and feel identical to the originals.

Also, how amazing would it be if they could have the game re-coded from scratch, looking and feeling identical to the originals, except taking the entire screen of the 3DS?
    Walking on the overworld and having a much bigger screen, and slightly different in-combat screen, that could be really cool.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Yeah, a lot of blank white pixels. At least adding the Super Game Boy borders would give you something nice to look at.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oo, awesome! I love Yellow as it was my very first pokemon game. I sort of do hope they will tweak them a little bit though, because some of the mechanics are so outdated that they are a pain to play. The graphics could (should!) stay the same though, it's the most crucial old feature.

Years
  • I've been spoiled with the option to choose a female player since Crystal, so part of me is so hoping they can somehow implement that choice into the games as they were originally planned, but... I know that won't happen, LOL.

I've seen people wonder about the Game Corner, too.

As cool as it would be to see that unused female player finally in the game, I still feel we may all be reverted back to using that same old original character a.k.a. Red/my least fave Pokemon protagonist.

Good to see you bring the Game Corner up, given it's been written out of the series due to anti-gambling laws in Europe. I kinda think that they'll stay true to the originals and keep it, but that's what I'll likely assume if nostalgia fanservice is what they're going with.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    As mentioned earlier, it seems the games have been given a higher rating because of the game corner.

Back