• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changing the type?

Would you change the type effectiveness?

• Total voters
Years
  • If you could change the type chart, what would you change, and what to?

I, tbh, i'd make Poison Strong against Steel, as Acid, which is basically poison, burns through it.

Want more questions? here!

If you could change the starter type triangle, what to?

If you could change types/add new types, which ones?

I think that we could either change the Dark type to Moon if it means night, or Evil if its...well, y'know, evil.
    I wouldn't change the starter type triangles.

How 'bout you guyz?

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Ghost should be normal effectiveness against Psychic. Ghosts and psychics get along, right?

PSYCHIC/DARK/FIGHTING STARTERS!
    I WOULD TOTALLY PICK PSYCHIC!
    YAY PSYCHIC! XD

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Ahh, a thread that I will love to!

If you could change the type chart, what would you change, and what to?

I'll make Poison strong against water. Drip posion into water and any creature who drink it or in it will get poisoned, right? and strong against fighting type too.
    Steel strong against electricity and Grass only weak to bug, fire, and ice. If bug pokemon have normal resistance against poison, why not grass too? grass is having too much weakness I think.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'd make Poison super effective against Bug again. Poison should also be super effective against Water because you get sick when you drink polluted water.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Poison effective against fighting, water and steel. Steel can be effected by poison, and water can be tainted.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I would add the Light-type to counter the Dark-type. Light would be super-effective against and immune to Dark. This would balance out the fact that Psychic is weak to Dark and also ineffective against it. This would make Dark a more vulnerable type, considering it is only weak to Bug (rarely used) and Fighting. Light would be weak to Ghost and Poison, as both are associated with death and darkness, the opposite of Light.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • I agree with Geras. Overall here, Poison should be good on a lot more than it is.

Years
  • I'd make water super-effective on steel.
    Steel rusts doesn't it?
    And also I'd make electric super-effective against steel too, because steel conducts electricity.
    I don't really know why flying is super-effective against grass, so I'd change that to normally effective.

-totodile42

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I'd make Poison Super effective against Water, Grass, and Steel.
    I'd also make Ghost Super effective against Fighting.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'd make Poison super effective against lots more types, such as Water and Dark, and remove Steel's immunity to it (and just make it like any other type in relation to Steel: not very effective).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Wow, you guys have too much love for Poison types...if you fixed all that, Poison would be a pretty broken typing...:x

I'd make Rock either neutral or not very effective against Fire. I've just never understood why it was weak to it, tbh.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    If you could change the type chart, what would you change, and what to?

Tbh, I wouldn't change anything. Except maybe change Dark's super-effectiveness over Ghost, as what sort of ghost fears the dark? Then again, that'd screw over the Dark type, so I'd have to lose its' weakness to Fighting or something..oh god, let's just leave it as it is, k?

If you could change the starter type triangle, what to?

I wouldn't. Grass / Fire / Water is pretty darn good, and it'd look odd in the Pokédex if it all started to change. Although I would stop this trend of Fire / Fighting starters, and give them something unique (As well as giving it the exact same stats as Emboar, a bit like Charizard and Typhlosion have the same stats).

If you could change types/add new types, which ones?

Never. It'd get too confusing, and you'd have to rework lots of things, or you'd end up some broken types, making it even more confusing and horrid.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Wow, you guys have too much love for Poison types...if you fixed all that, Poison would be a pretty broken typing...:x

I'd make Rock either neutral or not very effective against Fire. I've just never understood why it was weak to it, tbh.

I think Fire is weak to Rock because rocks don't burn except at incredibly high temperatures. A good justification is that putting a large rock over top of a fire would put the fire out, since it would cut off the oxygen supply to the fire, provided the rock is big enough to cover the whole fire.

Dragoniteisliberal

thinks Donald Trump sucks
    Years
  • I'd switch around the bug- psychic relationship. You don't see a bee taking down Darth Vader all too often, do you?

{you probably don't see Darth vader often XD}

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I was recently enlightened to the fact that the starters are fire, water and grass so that they're weak to end-game dragon-types that the E4 champions like to use. This explains why they've never been changed over the generations...

Speaking of dragons, I might change that type to make it weak to bug and ice rather than itself and ice. There is no apparent basis for dragons being weak to dragons that I've come across prior to Pokemon. So why bug? It'd give the type some long-awaited worthiness, albeit situational, but there'd become a real incentive to keep bug-types; the notion occured to me from the insect armours being resistant to the dragon element in Monster Hunter, kinda like an antiquated analogue to roach > nuke.

I guess 'light type' seems hypothetically nice, but I wouldn't add new types for gameplay's sake. I might only remove those that appeared subsequent to the first generation, given an alteration to psychic; I always found it hard to remember what's weak to and strong against what.

Acid [...] is basically poison
    I don't think so. What led you to that belief?

I think that we could either change the Dark type to Moon if it means night, or Evil if its...well, y'know, evil.?
    It seems to be both, so shouldn't 'dark' suffice?

Last edited:

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • If you could change the starter type triangle, what to? I think I'd add an electric type and make it a "square". Electric seems to be a popular type, is also not at an advantage to end game dragons and what not, and would give us a bit more of an option without going overboard. I realize they (technically, although you couldn't choose Pikachu in Red/Blue and couldn't chose Ch/Sq/Bul in Yellow) did this in Kanto (with Pikachu), but I think I would make a habit out of it.

If you could change types/add new types, which ones? I wouldn't.

If you could change the type chart, what would you change, and what to? Also, wouldn't.

And the problem with fixing the Poison thing is that if you went by what would be weak to poison irl, then EVERY type could, essentially, be weak to Poison. So, you would basically have the Mary Sue of Pokemon. Since there is some type of "poison" that can be harmful to various people, things, and animals alike.

Last edited:

West the Hardcore Nerd

Giggles at the ghosties!
    Years
  • Make Poison-Types strong against something other than Grass-Types. Maybe Water-Types, since, you know water pollution and such... I've always found that Poison-Types got the short end of the stick, so that'd be cool. Kind of hesitant, though, since everyone's gotten used to the current system, and changing it would require a bit of an adjustment...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Only change I would make is make Poison effective against something other than Grass. Bug, or Water, perhaps? Really, though, I'm fine with the type chart besides this unfair bias against Poison-types.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Id leave them how they are. I see absolutely no problem with the weaknesses and strengths now :o. And if I tried only tweaking a little bit, id tweak a little bit more..then more..Plus I dont think if I changed it, it would make sense anymore. The way it is now is great and understandable ^_^. Fire is strong against grass, since grass catches on fire easily, but weak against water, since water can put it out. Water is strong against fire (Stated above..) and weak against grass, since grass can absorb the water. Grass is...(stated above..). If I were to change it though..Id give it to where if a water type attacks a grass type with a water type move, the grass type gets healed...Since it basically absorbs it anyway. And for steel, when a steel gets hit by electricity, it gets a boost in Sp.Atk since if electricty runs through metal, the current gets stronger right? So if you touched it, it would do more damage than not being conducted through the metal. Also, if Bug types get attacked with a Poison type move, they should gain the ability of when they use a physical based attack on a non Poison type after the attack, the Poke gets poisoned since the Bug types would sort of..Gain the ability. Though this would fade of course after the battle. I would probably make Psychic types OPed since I luuuurvveeee Psychics, like my Lugia <3 (Probably gonna be the first Poke I take to Lv. 100 ^_^). And make a new type called..Wait for it...Win type~! Quite possibly replace most Flying type moves with it, like Gust since it seems to be based on wind...And give Pokes the ability to use it even if they cant fly or have wings or arent a Flying type, since obviously a Poke could summon a gust of air out of their mouth, like Makuhita. If that was possibly, it could strengthen Fire type attacked, and would be a supporting type in double battles! XD Wow I sure babbled didnt I?

Back