• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chavs? Goths? Emos?

John Denver

Banned
Years
  • ~Graphic~ said:
    Ok, i. Personaly have had enough of this crap. What is up with people Insulting and Singling out Chavs, Goths and Emos?

Discuss

There's no certain defintion for these social groups, but one thing is certain-- they're annoying. Really, really annothing.

They think they're unique geniuses simply because they wear all black and listen to political radio. They have their opinions spoon-fed to them by Hot Topic or any Tim Burton movie. They write horrible, horrible poetry and show it to everybody just to get the attention they crave so much.

They think their different. They really, really do. I got an idea guys. If you really want to be different and stand out in a crowd, get a job, join sports, and get straight A's. You'll get just as much attention, twice as many friends, and the satisfaction of knowing your actually worth something. Give it a try...

Years
  • Best way to get attention:

Get a girlfriend, get a job, get good grades, play sports, get a good hobby like film making or writing, play a musical instrument the good way and don't go hardcore

The worst way to get attention:

write crappy poetry, cut yourself the wrong way, wear black, wear girl pants, grow your hair so that it looks uneven, go to Hot Topic, listen to "emo" music

You see the contrast?

I personally find emos annoying as they would just come to me and whine on how crappy their life is just because their stupid skank of a girlfriend broke up with them and they're cutting themselves when they clearly live in a mansion with three cars, a pool, and a jacuzi. They go "Oh, I'm going to end it all tonight" but then I see them again the next day and I just sigh as I go through another day of them whining when it's so clear that I'm ignoring them and saying that I don't give a ****.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    They all want to be diffrent, yet they try and be like certain people, there all such hypocrites.

We all are.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    The thing that bugs me is that people run around, buying stuff at Hot Topic, listening to Good Charollette and Fall Out Boy and crap and thinking that they're goth.

No. That is not gothic music. Gothic music is bands like Joy Division, The Cure, Bauhaus, etc. The whole goth thing happened in the 80's. Real goths are still around. They just don't wear all black clothes and shop mainly at Hot Topic and complain to their friends that they have no friends.

Recknin

Banned
    Years
  • corganzero said:
    The thing that bugs me is that people run around, buying stuff at Hot Topic, listening to Good Charollette and Fall Out Boy and crap and thinking that they're goth.

No. That is not gothic music. Gothic music is bands like Joy Division, The Cure, Bauhaus, etc. The whole goth thing happened in the 80's. Real goths are still around. They just don't wear all black clothes and shop mainly at Hot Topic and complain to their friends that they have no friends.
    theres morshas and goths,morshas are just in with the clothes and skateboarding,goths involves spiritual stuff

Chiru

I dun use this account any mo'
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    I'm going to quote a rant I found on the internet a while back. I don't claim to be a goth (or really anything for that matter), but I have friends who consider themselves gothic. This is what I think is an excellent argument from a goth's point of view:

(quoted from https://embyquinn.tripod.com/index.html)

Okay, this may seem like an extension of my ***** #3 about bullies, snobs and brats (snobs in particular), but bear with me.

Lots of so-called goths are pretentious. I'm pretentious sometimes. I'm what's known as old school, an "Elder Goth" or (behind my back) a cranky old bat. (If you're that curious, I was born in 1960. Do the effen math.) If you've ever heard Cruxshadows' "Leave Me Alone", that's what my entire life has been like. For years I tried to conform, and I failed. Finally I gave up and became what I wanted to be. I wore the clothes I wanted to wear. I listened to music nobody else liked or had even heard of. I wore black lipstick and eyeliner when it wasn't cool. Over the years I've lost jobs, friends, and relationships because of my refusal to conform to what others think I should look like. I've come through hell to be where I am in life right now (in a very stable relationship and reasonably content with my lot). I've made a name for myself--okay, so 90 percent of the world doesn't give a rat's hairy ass for kisekae, but I'm still world-famous for my doll sets. I have a time-tested and loyal circle of friends. I'm an acknowledged artist in my field. I'd like to think I've earned the right to be a little pretentious. You tell me.

That having been said...I don't think I have the right to point at another person and say "Oh, you are such a poser!" Yet that's what a lot of people around me spend half their time doing--pointing out who "is" and who "isn't" part of "the scene". (I told you this sounded like my rant about snobs.) It's a common topic at Denny's, Carpe Diem and just about every club within driving distance of where I live (and that includes New Orleans). But of course, Marilyn Manson isn't goth, but Coil is. No, Coil's darkwave; Unto Ashes is really goth. Who? Oh, you mean you haven't heard of them? Oh, well, then, you must not be goth enough, dearling. Run along now, I'm too busy to waste my time talking to a pathetic little skin-goth like you.

Ugh.

So what is "goth"? Hell, don't ask me. I'm still figuring it out for myself. The problem with our culture is that people tend to slap labels on everything. But labels don't always fit nice and snug; sometimes they won't stick, sometimes they peel off and fall away after a while, and sometimes they're just a misprint.

What is goth to me? That's a little easier. "Goth" is short for "gothic", and it has nothing to do with extinct middle European cultures who died out sometime in the first millenium A.D. Gothic, to me, is a form of artistic appreciation and expression that encompasses things and concepts which are dark and mysterious and normally taboo--sex, death, fear, horror, pain, evil, cruelty, disfigurement, sorrow, grief...all the things most people would rather not think about. Gothic culture, for me, is not a celebration of these things (well, maybe sex, but not the rest of it). It is, rather, a way of bringing forbidden and disturbing subjects out into the open and dealing with them, as we all someday must. It's taking that step into the darkness, finding out what's in it, and dealing face-to-face with our own personal fears about mortality and the impermanence of being. When you have that kind of artistic mindset, you have a natural appreciation for things that others with different tastes might find spooky, eerie, or just plain sick. It doesn't mean you actually want to go out and hurt other people. Plenty of "normal" people (casuals, mundanes, whatever) find macabre subjects entertaining, too. For example, horror movies are more popular than ever these days. Millions of mundanes flock to films like The Haunting or The Others, yet those same people freak out over someone dressed all in black who walks past them at the mall. I believe that this is simply because everybody likes to be thrilled, shocked, or titillated when they know they're really "safe" from what scares them, but it takes a certain courage to be able to face what really scares you. The deepest, most basic fear is of the unknown--things we don't understand. We all make our own monsters; but while most people deal with their monsters by locking them in a dark closet and denying their existence, I'm more likely to light a candle or two and invite my monsters to come sit down and have a cup of tea with me so I can get to know them better.

It's also important to accept yourself as you are. Anybody can wear black and put on white make-up and call themselves "freaks", but only that person knows what their outlook on life really is. I've always known I was different from most of the others around me (again, see ***** #3 above, the "Easter chick in the henhouse" comparison). That's the real reason "gothic" people are scary to most other people. The average person just doesn't "get" it.

Being gothic for me is not a fashion statement. It's not a musical style (I believe the term "goth" as it pertains to musical expression has lost any meaning it might have had, thank you mass media). It's not going to the clubs every night, it's not being strung out on the illegal substance of the week, and it's sure as hell not knowing the "right" people while ragging on the "wrong" people. Cliquishness is not going to go away, because it's part of the human condition. All I'm saying is that seeking permission or approval to be gothic or "a goth" is a pointless, fruitless exercise. I haven't asked permission or sought approval yet, and I'm not looking for validation from you, either. I know who and what I am by now. Yes, those freaky kids on the Jenny Jones show annoy the hell out of me, too, but I'm not going to call someone a poser or a skin-goth outright because that's not my call to make. It's not yours, either, so shut up already.

Oh, and once and for all, people: There is no "gothic movement". There's no horde of disease-ridden sex-crazed drugged-out Satan-worshipping baby-eaters coming to corrupt America's innocent youth. Gothic had nothing more to do with Columbine than Barney the purple dinosaur did. Get over it.

I really do agree with this person. Again, I don't claim to be 'gothic', but I honestly have no problem with them whatsoever. I basically agree with what this person says. It doesn't bother me at all, unless they go too far with it and it becomes obvious that they're looking for attention.

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
  • ~Graphic~ said:
    Ok, i. Personaly have had enough of this crap. What is up with people Insulting and Singling out Chavs, Goths and Emos?

Discuss

That's just the way everything works. Everyone is going to get insulted about something that someone else doesn't like about them sometime in their life. Personally, I dun see why anyone wants to be 'emo' or 'goth'. Sure. I used to wanna be cool and be like the 'goth' kids I thought I knew. Recently...I've kinda grown out of that and had an attitude that was leaning towards the question: 'Who freaking cares?' =D Society has a way of picking out your flaws and exploiting them. You just gotta live with it.

These emo and goth kids aren't that different. Their hair looks nearly exactly the same, and they listen to the same 'grate nu fob song!!!11 dance dance guyz!!!111one'.

</rant mode>

People suck. Get over it.

B.U.N.N.Y

Mayonaise
    Years
  • i dont mind goths and i have been classed (wrongfully) as a emo many times but chavs annoy me they always "wanna fight" and their obssesion with burbary is annoying

Dragon.Beat

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2005
    Chavs I understand. They just go around bashing those who don't have the will to fight. Total losers in my opinion. About emos and goths; well, people just notice people who don't "fit in," usually, and have a tendancy to feel "better" than them. Therfore saying stuff(out in public sometimes), thinking they won't fight back.
    Those are my thoughts summarised into simple lines. I wish I could express myself better;

Sawyer

���
    Years
  • Anyone can go ahead and call themselves Goths... I don't frankly care. I'm, if you'd like to stereotype me, a punk. I've got a punk-emo hairdo, and punk clothes. I'm not a Chav or a Goth; Chavs do what they do because of something tragic that happened in their lives that forced them to despise society. A goth isn't someone who wears black lipstick and stuff... it's someone who has suffered something in their life that has caused them to be this way. Marilyn Manson isn't necessarily Goth... He's got a very unique music style; very morbid, very GROtesque (I wonder who will understand that *rolls eyes*)... but not goth. Try The Cure, a band that actually understands what suffering is. I'm not gonna call someone a poser goth, but I have an opinion on poser punks. There are people at my school who are conservative but come to school every day wearing tight pants, black tee shirts and fromping their long hair. Now, I've got long hair, tight pants, and black tee-shirts, but I am not friggin' conservative. I'm tired of hypocrites yelling at a political figure then going to the polls and voting for him. Nothing wrong with goths and emos, I've got an emo friend... I was something of a goth for a couple months myself.

Dark Quill

Shadow of a demon
    Years
  • Hey, there's nothing wrong with Goths/Emos. I'm one myself. Well, one or the other. Same thing to me.
    Goths and stuff can't just "get good grades" and that sort of thing. I sure can't do that. And is it MY fault I'm not very good at life anymore? No, it isn't.
    Not everyone's problems can just be washed away, as easy as some make it seem.

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • I don't like people who dress goth purely for attention. I have a friend who dresses goth, but she acts perfectly fine. It's those that dress for the attention that bother me.

IvySaur

I have plenty of 'goth' friends. I guess you could call me the 'alternative' kid, that's what my friends call me. I have a whole array of different sorts of 'rocker' friends, some 'punk rockers (who actually dress like punk rockers, mohawks, plaid and all)', some 'goths', two 'emos', an 'indie' who I love to death, a few 'scene' kids who sort of make me mad, and me the 'altie'. I really have no problems with stereotypes, it's just when people try TOO hard it bothers me.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • There isnt any problem with them! Me, being a black and pink punk, do get mad at that. Just like all those frilly god people always say, "Were all equal under god's eyes" or whatever it was.

Eliana

The |R a m p a g e|
    Years
  • Lol, Emo.
    I'm sorry, but...I see no point in this. True "Emo" and "Goth" exist no longer. Most people (I said most.) who call themselves "Emo" complain about how their life sucks, and about how they cut for good causes. And Goths? Pssh, all people think Goths are today are people who wear Black and write dark poetry. Well just as a headsup, Goth is a TIME PERIOD. Kthx.

~Eli

Dark Quill

Shadow of a demon
    Years
  • Yeah, but as it was said before, people just slap tags on things without giving it a second thought.
    And I don't dress for attention. Attention in public is the LAST thing I want ><

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2006
    ~Graphic~ said:

Discuss

Er, it's because all of those have their bad sides. They are not being criticized by their likes about music or fashion, those are different kinds of Chavs/Goths/Emos. What people criticize is their -bad- attitude and tendencies. Emos would not be Emos if they didn't whine about everything or if they didn't want attention. Goths would not be Goths if they weren't always unpositive, satanic and anti-social. Chavs wouldn't be Chavs if they didn't have social problems like teenage pregnancy, delinquency and/or alcoholism....You get my point? Those are things worth to be insulted and criticized in my opinion.

Back