• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Cheren? Bianca? But I wanted to name them Jack and Jill!

What do you think of not being able to name your rivals?

• Total voters

ZeldaStrife

PKMN Trainer for 16 Years
Years
  • now that you mention it, the fact that I cannot name my rivals in this game bothers me. it gave the game a real sense of personality to the individual player. :(

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I think I like the names Cheren and Bianca. Why? Because it fits them, and also sounds pretty good. I'm not that good at making up names, so I guess I'm sticking with the names... Usually, I just stick with the defaults.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Despite the numerous battles that you have with Bianca, she really ISN'T your rival...she simply chooses to stay with the Professor. I don't really know if the opposite of this is true when you select the male trainer, or in Black version, but it wouldn't be too hard to allow you to nickname the actual RIVAL character.

HOWEVER~!

Because of the Game Sync feature, and children's penchant for mischief...namely such a naughty deed as giving your rival a dirty name, or one with a four-letter word in it was too much for Nintendo to bear. XD

So, yeah...I'm not surprised that they cracked down on that little bug in the code for B/W simply because there are people who name their rivals these naughty things. A game save is likely not so easily cleaned up...and they can't just delete it, they'd be FORCED TO BAN YOUR ID. That would disrupt service for too many people, and force them to restart the game at least, which isn't quite fair. No doubt bans would have been global to the entire game at least.

So, In short; I'm not too upset about not being able to name them. I'm content with their current names purely because they're really not that bad. If you disagree because you got attached to their Japanese names, then that's all your fault; for a lapse of clear thinking. No anime in history has ever come out the same dubbed, and that goes doubly so for translated games and anything else translated. Languages have differences...so comparing a Sub to a Dub is like comparing Apples to Oranges. :/
    It just doesn't fit logic, and is a silly reason to prefer one over the other.

Seliana

Mrs Popo
    Years
  • I'm too lazy to really get upset over it. I actually think the names sort of suit their personalities.

If I'm upset about anything, it's not being able to name Cheren. Because if I could, I'd name him "Fodder". Because if he screamed "Romantic Fanfic Fodder" any louder for the insane fangirls who pair characters off in the games in fanfiction, they'd rename "Screech" exactly that. Romantic Fanfic Fodder. XD

xDaisuke0

Aspiring Professor
    Years
  • I dont really mind.

But I think the reasoning of this was to make it more of a story? And not like a *insert yourself into this scenario* kind of thing? It makes it less personal and more wholesome and matches with the rest of the game. They are NPCs AND rivals.

ZeldaStrife

Years

• Because of the Game Sync feature, and children's penchant for mischief...namely such a naughty deed as giving your rival a dirty name, or one with a four-letter word in it was too much for Nintendo to bear. XD

So, yeah...I'm not surprised that they cracked down on that little bug in the code for B/W simply because there are people who name their rivals these naughty things. A game save is likely not so easily cleaned up...and they can't just delete it, they'd be FORCED TO BAN YOUR ID. That would disrupt service for too many people, and force them to restart the game at least, which isn't quite fair. No doubt bans would have been global to the entire game at least.

Ah, i had not thought of that. haha, yeah; my fiance went back and played thru Red version during finals week at college and i know he named his rival something inappropriate. I digress; it is shame, but that may be the reason that Nintendo disabled that feature. since the PKMN games have entered the wi-fi world, you never know who you'll meet out there.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • Well, i could probably name them after a couple of friends but is ok, i really don't mind the names, at least their names aren't Black (Cheren) & White (Bianca) XD

ZeldaStrife

Years
  • Well, i could probably name them after a couple of friends but is ok, i really don't mind the names, at least their names aren't Black (Cheren) & White (Bianca) XD

thats what I do. i've never named my rivals anything inappropriate, just usually a name that means something to me, like one of my friends, as you said. It makes the game more real. :)

COMBOY

Pokémon Crimson & Navy
    Years
  • I always put the same names when I start to play any version of Pokémon from the beggining, of course, I put the name COMBOY, or CONVOY sometimes.

For Cheren, I would like to name him "MAGNUS" or "NEMESIS", just like I call all the rivals, and for Bianca, maybe I would name her "BOTANICA", because her costume reminds me on a plant. :P

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • thats what I do. i've never named my rivals anything inappropriate, just usually a name that means something to me, like one of my friends, as you said. It makes the game more real. :)

And the most weird is that every single rival of the games looks like one of my friends that play pokemon haha.
    Blue: Ubaldo but i named Uvald
    Silver: Ivan but i named Vann (also is uses Vann as his name in is game)
    Pearl: Luis, i keep it the same

And yeah, it makes the game more real ;)

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    I would always name my rivals something funny like i would name them Retard! and then when Prof.oak would stop them from taking the fist pokemon he would be like " No that kid get to go first Retard!" ohhh man those were the days...

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Meh, I don't really mind the inability to name our rival, since either way I had always given them their official names that were announced. Though it still wasn't necessary to remove that feature. What pro did that give for our rivals? :B

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • personally I've stopped caring about this issue after 2nd generation... I just named them official names or one of my friend's names after I got bored with naming them in an immature manner, mainly when I was only a kindergartener playing pokemon blue... (ex. STUPID, DUNCE, etc)

Years
  • I wanted to name them something a bit silly, like I did with the first Pokémon games when I was a kid.
    I gave my first rival the name of a guy I hated in school, and beating him at every fight felt pretty good :)

But I wanted to call the new rivals something like Bonnie & Clyde, Sonny & Cher or something ridiculous like, it would just make me stupidly giggle :D

xx Pouinks

ZeldaStrife

Years
  • But I wanted to call the new rivals something like Bonnie & Clyde, Sonny & Cher or something ridiculous like, it would just make me stupidly giggle :D

Bwaha, that's awesome! Laurel and Hardy, Fred and Ethel, Lucy and Ricky.... lol. aw, now i wish we could have named them! XD

~Touko

Haxorus Breeder ~ #1 Axew Fan
    Years
  • I really dislike not being able to name them, and N. I wanted to name them the following names:

N = Dash
    Cheren = Kevin
    Bianca = Tiffany

But now I can't. Thats personally the only bummer I have with this game. It's not that big of a deal though, really. ^.^

Cid

Years
  • I didn't really care about the names of my rivals since first gen. I guess that's because whatever you name them, they'll still turn out to have the personalities of their official depictions...which tends to make me name them as such.
    I wouldn't say the same for the main protagonist (which I always envisioned as the player), but for Cheren and Bianca, their official names are okay enough for Game Freak to not allow their renaming.

Back