• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Children. yes or no?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'll spare you all the paragraph on my freedom, independence, the financial burdens, and my own fears. But having a child is something I don't want for myself. And it's becoming an issue now, because I'm at that age where people are starting to say, "oh, when are you two getting married?" and "why, you should be having kids, not adopting another puppy!", and things of that nature. But, my boyfriend and I both have terrible familial health records and are both addicts, so this fact alone has scared me out of having any children. I don't feel safe putting myself in such a position where relaps could be possible, and baring in mind the stress that comes along with a baby, that is a very real possibility for us both.

Not only that, but I have no maternal instinct at all. I don't feel anything when I see a young child doing something cute, and I don't recognize anything a baby/infant does as "cute" in the first place. In fact, they're rather nasty looking creatures in my eyes. I can't detach my own feelings of disgust when thinking of a child that may be my own. Moreover, crying, like that sound of babies crying, reverberates so heavily in my brain that I can't even spend any time near a child for too long; or else I risk migraines.

However, this is just my experience and my opinion. Childbirth and a woman with child is a beautiful, beautiful thing and I consider that one of the most amazing things a woman can do with her body. The pregnant female is a gorgeous and powerful symbol, after all. So I support those who do want children and have the means to care for them. But, as for myself? Maybe in another life.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Yes. No adoption. Maybe I will, Idk. Will have to consult with parents and wife.

No gender preference.

2 at max. Any more and I wont be able to bring them up properly, I feel. Wont be able to give them the attention and love they all deserve. Or something.
    Id want to have kids because I think parent-child relationship is one of the most beautiful things in the world. And kids love me. I love kids too. Although Id definitely want to enjoy my life a bit more before having em.
    Names? Shinell (yes, i found shivi's imouto's name awesome) or probaly Aishwarya (current and first serious crush's name. Literally means beautiful) for girl. Guy idk. Will think of it. And as much as I like Dante, Vergil, Gintoki etc theyre really out there considering india haha.

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
    Years
  • Ahhh no.
    I would like to spend my life just living happily with whoever becomes my husband traveling and studying & researching my favorite sciences.
    And on top of that, I get nervous around small children and the thought of having to go through pregnancy and parenthood is repellent. If I do change my mind in the future (Which is a possibility since I'm so young), I would definitely adopt. I want to give a home to a child who doesn't have one.

Last edited:

Paige Berlitz

HAPPY SAINT PATTIES DAY
    Years
  • Well at one point I do want kids(if i ever go bi or completely straight). I want my first kid to be a female. I don't know how many i want. Here are the names for a girl: Calla, Brinley

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    There are too many medical issues that run in both sides of my family. It seems almost unkind to potentially force them upon someone. That being said, I'm conflicted; not because I actually want kids, but because living (in my opinion) outweighs potential medical problems.

So I'm pretty neutral...I don't much care. Perhaps I'll change my mind and actually make a decision in the future.
    This is a pretty tough dilemma. I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but I can't say I envy you. You can't blame anyone for wanting to have kids, and the possibility for genetics to interfere with that desire is very real, but since it's a natural thing to want I still think it'd be hard to criticize someone for going ahead and having kids, especially with a lot of people I think holding the same stance of life outweighing all.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I have no desire to have children. I never really liked them and it seems like too much work. Also I'm really nervous about how they would turn out.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I don't know why you had to over-exaggerate your laughter on a subject like this. Sure it's funny to think of reproducing, I guess. Intercourse, was that the joke? Most 20 to early 30 year old males who say what you did are afraid to lose the freedom that they've obtained. Which is understandable. To lose the ability to do as you please at whatever time they wish, to not be tied down; yeah, it can be sort of scary. "I can barely take care of myself let alone a child", is the usually route they go down.

Why bring a child into this twisted world, right? As a man, YOU NEVER CHOOSE between "furthering your DNA", or "nice things", because it's not something you alone decide on. Nice things are nice things--tomorrow there will be nicer things and next week too. They get old eventually. I urge you to think about this.

Kids are awesome. Way more entertaining than a fully modified Subaru Wrx or the newest game console. I'm not saying you're wrong in thinking this way, but to laugh about something others might find meaningful and rewarding, something they are probably going through right now just seems really childish. No one is ever ready for a child which is why many are afraid of it because it's not something that can be taught. I encourage you to look at this differently, to look at it as not just a simple "no", though you probably won't, but it'll make you seem less like a child if this convo ever pops up in a discussion within your many social circles.

I think your biggest mistake in this entire post was thinking that my laughter was an exaggeration.

Also I'm gay, I have a get-out-of-children-free card.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I like kids. I really do. I like working in daycare areas and such and babysitting and being the responsible older youth at church. But I don't want any of my own. I'm far too self-absorbed, anxious, and irresponsible to teach and take care of one or two for the amount of time necessary. And I don't want to be pregnant ever because that's such a hassle. I'd much rather stick to being a doting auntie. Since I have five siblings and five psuedo-siblings that's going to be inevitable lmao; at least one out of those ten is going to have a kid or two within the next decade.

But yeah having my own kids? Not for me. If I end up with a long-term partner that really wants kids I'd rather adopt two between the ages of 3 and 8. Two because I think siblings are a good thing to have, adopt because I stand firm on not wanting to be pregnant.

Years
  • I've always wanted to have kids, specifically a boy and a girl. Just two, I think more than that could become overwhelming. I would love to father both genders just for the experience. Raising a boy can be totally different from raising a girl, and vise versa. I'm up to the challenge though!

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • I really love kids. They're the cutest thing ^^

I want to have one when I get a tad older. 19 is still far too young for me. xD

The thing that I'm scared most of is giving birth. I'd rather just have the kid come out in a less painful way ^^ But that's not possible, sadly.

FloatingMew

Keeping 1 post a day ^^
    Years
  • Of course! Although I am only 14 and my mind could change in the coming years. I would like 2 children of any gender, but i've always imagined 1 boy and 1 girl. I haven't really thought of boy names but I can think of some really nice girl names. I also like a ton of the names from video games...

Ex: Serena from Pokemon X/Y

I would want to be financially stable and make sure I am ready and know what I want to do with my life. Also waiting until I am married is a MUST for me. I hope to find a wife that loves video games as much as I do. <3

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Im pretty sure i want children in my life at some point, but not in the near future. Im 21 now and i enjoy life as it is, plus id want to be sure i could take care of my family financially and also have enough time for them, before i plan on having children. I dont really care for the gender too much, although having one girl would be really nice. Ive always pictured myself having 2 children, although i could imagina going for a 3rd, depending on a lot of things.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • Nope! Nope nope nope nope noooope

Not that I haste them, but with my very much younger siblings (the oldest after me is 8), I've had enough of children for a while, a very long while. 8|

Years

Not that I haste them, but with my very much younger siblings (the oldest after me is 8), I've had enough of children for a while, a very long while. 8|

Pretty much this. Being the eldest of four, and having various cousins, nephews all whom I love dearly, I've come to the conclusion that parenthood isn't for me. Though, I'm not one to say "never", I feel like at this point in my life I'm happy enough where I am with my boyfriend, but not content enough to stop my career/education to devote to kids.

Years

I only have an older sibling, but I've always wanted a younger one as well just to see them grow up (: Though I've taken care of my cousins who are 3 and 6 years younger than me when I was in middle school; I think I'd make a great mother ;D It's a scary prospect that if you don't raise your children properly than they could turn into trouble makers in the future \:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I want kids! Two or three of them. A big, loud family that will still fit inside a normal car 8) I think I want a boy first, and then a girl and then another boy. But as long as I get at least one of each, I'll be happy. I can't really choose now what to name them, even though I have some nice suggestions. My mother and the father of the children will of course have a say too. Mother mostly because she's shot down some suggestions of mine already so, haha. Can't really name her grandkids something she won't approve of.

But yeah. It was always my plan to get children. Before 30. We'll see about that now, haha. It's not as far off as it once was, hrrm.

However, getting children and marrying would mean to accept that you'd never really be alone again. And to me, alone time is precious. Not sure how I'd cope with that.

Back