• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Chimchar,Turtwig or Piplup

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Bastion

O a t h k e e p e r
Years
  • I was into the Chimchar hype right when D/P came out, but I'm finding that I like Piplup better. :D

I've also been picking pokemon on their aesthetic appeal. =X

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Turtwig, because e is one of my favourites and because he is strong

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2012
    Nintendo has done quite a bad work(or good?)on the starters.torenterra is a groundtype pokemon,supereffective to infernape,infernape is a fightingtype pokemon,superefffective to empoleon,empoleon learns flyingtype moves,supereffective to torenterra.A way to aviod infernape's fightingtype moves is to not envolve piplup,but who doesn't want to envovle their starter pokemon?I like piplup because they learn flyingtype moves,good for killing elite four.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • Chimchar. Close Combat is a killer in-game, and even tough it sucks at taking hits, I would prefer having a CC Infernape rather than a Rapidash. It is just more useful, in my opinion.

"Torterra is a really good choice to use against Bertha in the elite 4 because generally grass is super effective at least 2x against her Pokemon, and sometimes 4x, all while Torterra isn't being damaged by Sandstorm. The downside is that water becomes neutral, but the upside is that so does fire."

As far as I know, fire is neutral to ground, so in that case, Torterra still have a weakness to fire, right?

261Poochyena

House of Glass
    Years
  • My starter

I stareted with three of them by starting then trding it to my brother game but I think the best starter is piplup because it can use good water moves agaist the rock gym and water pokemon rule

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2009
    I've played it through with all 3 and i personally prefered it with Piplup

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    I went with Chimchar the first time around, but i had decided to restart and went with piplup. I liked Chimchar the best he's more effective.

stephen_swann_123

Stephen, The fire trainer
    Years
  • Piplup RULZ!!! He learns water attacks wich effect roark. Then when He evolves, he learns peck and metal claw. Peck is effective aggainst gardenia and maylene, then he can learn the pastorias tm move brine, then there is the 6th gym and he can help with the elite four, with aaron the bug guy, then bertha and the flint the fire guy. It is luck wich will get you through lucian and cynthia.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2008
    Chimchar is the probably the Best to Start out with,it has access to some great moves and is the Best Fire Pokemon in the Entire Game until you beat the National Dex

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • In response to the amount of people who say Chimchar is the best choice because of the lack of fire pokemon other than Ponyta/Rapidash, before getting Heatran:

I don't really see the necessity. Pretty easy without the fire types. For grass types you can just use Ice or Flying, and there's plenty of that. For bug you can use Flying or Rock, again plenty of those. For Steel, Ground or Fighting works.

So I can have, say, an Empoleon with Ice or a Torterra with Ground, plus a Staraptor, and maybe a Lucario or something, and that covers all those bases.

Sasha

The Devil's Advocate ♥.
    Years
  • I chose piplup as a starter-- in all the previous games I've always chosen the fire type. It's a nice change.

stephen_swann_123

Stephen, The fire trainer
    Years
  • Me to. In all the pokemon games I have played, I have chosen the fire type. Then I played diamond and pearl. I picked chimchar at first but I couldn't handle him. Then I restarted and Picked piplup. I stuck with piplup all the way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back