• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Chimchar,Turtwig or Piplup

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB.

'PB
Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    I chose Chimchar because of the fact that there are so few fire types in the game and Chimchar is better than Ponyta, but Chimchars fighting moves are awful. Piplup has much better attacks.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    well my Pearl Torterra raped my freinds Empoleon and my brothers infernape when they were 5 levels higher but I am now satrting diamond with a chimchar

GS the Bounty Hunter

Chomp Pwnz On Shoddy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2009
    I picked Turtwig. It learns Earthquake when it evolves into Torterra and has some strong Grass Moves along the way.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 14, 2009
    It has a higher speed stat and it knows close combat.

True, I recently had a glimpse at its stats. It's the Speed stat that is the main factor in this comparison. Mainly because who ever attacks first decides the fate of the two Pokémon due to their move sets.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2008
    chimchar looks kind of dumb =/ i know he is powerful, but i like my pokemon to look cool as well.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 14, 2009
    chimchar looks kind of dumb =/ i know he is powerful, but i like my pokemon to look cool as well.

But isn't the opposite of 'dumb', 'smart'? And I like my Pokémon's appearance to be deceiving.

Years
  • Infernape is arguably the best of the starters' evolutions due to its solid attacking ability and diverse movepool. When combined with a Life Orb, it can wreak havoc on opposing teams. Plus, the Chimchar line represents the only fire types in the D/P Dex other than Ponyta and Rapidash. This makes Chimchar even more desirable.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • Infernape is arguably the best of the starters' evolutions due to its solid attacking ability and diverse movepool. When combined with a Life Orb, it can wreak havoc on opposing teams. Plus, the Chimchar line represents the only fire types in the D/P Dex other than Ponyta and Rapidash. This makes Chimchar even more desirable.

Infernape's Base Stats:

HP - 76
    ATK - 104
    DEF - 71
    SP ATK - 104
    SP DEF - 71
    SPEED - 108

Weak to - Water, Ground, Flying, Psychic
    Resistant to - Fire, Grass, Ice, Dark, Steel
    Very Resistant to - Bug
    Neutral to - Normal, Electric, Fighting, Poison, Rock, Ghost, Dragon

Torterra's Base Stats:

HP - 95
    ATK - 109
    DEF - 105
    SP ATK - 75
    SP DEF - 85
    SPEED - 56

Weak to - Fire, Flying, Bug
    Very weak to - Ice
    Resistant to - Ground, Rock
    Immune to - Electric
    Neutral to - Normal, Water, Grass, Fighting, Poison, Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, Dark, Steel

Empoleon's Base Stats:

HP - 84
    ATK - 86
    DEF - 88
    SP ATK - 111
    SP DEF - 101
    SPEED - 60

Weak to - Electric, Fighting, Ground
    Resistant to - Normal, Water, Flying, Psychic, Bug, Rock, Ghost, Dragon, Dark
    Very resistant to - Ice, Steel
    Immune to - Poison
    Neutral to - Fire, Grass

Everyone can use this to refer to and draw their own conclusions. To me, Empoleon is the best out of them. Give him Ice Beam which takes advantage of that special attack, and he kills Torterra in one hit for sure (and he has more speed to go first). If he can survive Close Combat from Infernape he'll Hydro Pump him to death in one hit, or maybe even Surf. Plus, all those resistances (more than any other pokemon I'm pretty sure?) make him so freakin useful.

Just my interpretation though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    Turtwig looks the best, plus I love the health stealing moves, just give him some Carbos and he is a beast!

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I go with Turtwig. I like him the best, as well as his final form, Torterra.
    It is really strong, but Empoleon and Infernape are becoming stronger, battle-wise.

Years
  • I love piplup, when it evolved into Empoleon it was unstoppable. Besides, i've always loved water type pokemon

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I picked turtwig on my platinum because prior to that I've never chosen a grass type starter and I wanted to try something different. Actually turned out pretty well. even though it was slow, it had nice defense/offense and made veilstone gym a walkover :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back