• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Choosing a water-type Pokemon

Arkayide

AKA [Insertnamehere]
Years
  • Pokémon isn't all about battling. A big part of it is navigating the overworld that connects the many cities and landmarks in the Pokémon games. That also includes using HMs like Surf to cross oceans and lakes.

Who did you teach surf? Did you have Mudkip as a starter? Maybe you're like me and spent hours deciding on which water Pokémon to put on your team. Or perhaps you just got a Zigzagooon an HM slave to do the job for you. What was your solution?

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2016
    I usually put HM Surf to Lotad or Zigzagoon, then i will release them after. :D

Years
  • I use it on Gyarados, Tentacruel or any other water Pokémon who goes on my main team. Surf is a good move and I use it in battling. :P

Years
  • I was a Blaziken user, so that eliminates that. My main water types were always Azumarill, Whischash or Lanturn. So it was always one of those few.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Azumarill is terrible, so is Lanturn, and Whiscash is too. Swapert is not good, and Tentacruel is okay. So if I need surf, I will teach it to a water type in my party like Lotad or its evos or Spheal.

Years
  • Mudkip was usually my starter of choice, but when running through the game with Torchic, I'd catch a Goldeen at Petalburg to be a temporary HM slave. After getting the Good Rod, it would be replaced with a Carvanha, who would be useful against Liza and Tate. It becomes much easier to take control of the double battle with Surf, since it hits both opponents.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I did wind up choosing Mudkip in one of my runs, just to see how it would go. Wasn't all too bad, haha. Most of the time, I'd just pick Torchic. As for who I thought Surf, I don't actually remember, honestly… maybe it was Gyarados? d:

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I had two water types on my team for some reason: Azumarill and Pelipper. They weren't HM slaves. I think I taught Surf (and all the other water HM's + Rock Smash) to Azumarill, so he was my semi-HM slave, since I used him and he even had the highest level in my team.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • I usually choose Treeko as my starter and for HM Surf, i get a gyarados or a Lotad!

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • If I didn't have a water user that is capable of learning Surf (Because Surf is like the best HM ever), then I'd teach it to Zigzagoon. Easy to catch, encountered on the first few routes and no need to level it up or anything. Plus it comes equipped with Pickup which is simply fabulous for the rest of your game :P

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I always pick water starters and teach it HMs. I don't bother having a slave, I just spread out HMs evenly.

Years
  • Once I finally manage to get one, I always find myself teaching Wailmer/Wailord Surf, along with the other two Water-type HMs. If I don't have one though, I'll usually just end up using a stopgap like Lotad or Zigzagoon until I get one.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    My approach to this is actually pretty unique. I catch a Whiscash, a Walrein, and a Lanturn - all to be used as team members AND use HMs. It's a clever idea because each one has a different secondary type that makes it useful in battle situations. I did use a Swampert in my let's play, however.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    Surf's never been a problem, since I always have a water type (or dual water at least) somewhere on my team, and since water attacks are always special in Gen III and before, that water type always gets Surf anyway. Among others, I've used the Mudkip line, the Lotad line, Staryu/Starmie, Carvanha/Sharpedo, Tentacool/Tentacruel, and my absolute favorite, Milotic.

The problem is Waterfall and Dive, since they're just inferior to Surf. I usually ended up putting them (along with Surf) on a Wailord, since you need one to unlock the Regis anyway.

Back