• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cinenma/ Film Chit Chat

Intuition

Overwhelming boredom
    Years
    Last movie I saw in theaters was The Terminal.. I had to watch it for school and I liked it ^^ It's unlike other movies :D

Lil' Schu

never an honest word... ♫
    Years
    What do you guys think about Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events? I think the books are more interesting, but all-in-all I'd give a 8/10 for not following the books ><

Years
    The last movies I saw in the cinema was only Villa Paranoia (Danish drama by multi artist/actor/musician Erik Clausen) in february, and Bridget Jones 2 last month, had anyone else seen it.

I saw a load of movies this holiday, and the last one was Barbie & The Swan Lake.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I just saw the Phantom of the Opera. In my opinion, it was every bit as good as the Broadway production. Everybody needs to see it. It is freaking awesome!

Quast2

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 23, 2005
    Hmmm...some musical-fanatic friends of mine really hated it. I didn't see POTO though.

I did see Hotel Rwanda. It was easily the best movie I ever saw.

Cuboner

White and Nerdy
    Years
    SBaby said:
    I just saw the Phantom of the Opera. In my opinion, it was every bit as good as the Broadway production. Everybody needs to see it. It is freaking awesome!

Whatever...

Let me break this down like a fraction for you.

1.) Biggest problem with the movie is this. The musical sucks. Andrew Lloyd Webber is a hack who hasn't written anything of quality since Evita.

1/2.) Joel Schumacher - Why would you pick the guy who single handedly set comic book movies back 15 years to make a movie musical? The guy is a terrible director who has only ever done one thing good: A Time to Kill. And that was good in spite of him, not because of him.

1/3.) Gerard Butler can't sing. It amazes me that guys like this are appearing in Hollywood blockbuster musicals when a Broadway star like Norbert Leo Butz toils in relative obscurity.

1/4.) Minnie Driver was terrible. She overacted the part of Carlotta. She made her look like a cartoon character. It was like the French version of Paris Hilton, with her stupid dog. And, she can't sing either. Most of her stuff was dubbed...why not bring in the actress who dubbed it to play the part?

1/5.) Patrick Wilson is good, but completely underutilized.

Grimsg

Manga Merchant
    Years
    Yeah, sadly Phantom the movie seemed like a giant music video. I can't help but keep comparing how come Chicago worked as a musical movie but Phantom couldn't and I realized something: all of Chicago's songs are *image songs*.

They're sang by their respective singers: 'All that Jazz' is by Velma, 'Funny Honey' is by Roxie, 'All I care About' is by Billy Flynn etc. Compared to Phantom which actually made use of music as the narrative made things *very hard* to adapt to screen because that means: more singing and less dialogue. It came to a point where there was 3/4s singing and speak singing which just sounded corny.

Yes and another thing: the singers weren't professionals. They just looked good on screen but they were adequet in their singing parts. If I hear a Christine on stage, I expect her to be a Christine on screen. She must hit the high notes, she must sound great, not just adequet.

And the wham bang uber mascarade scene? Ok, that was fine in a sense it was in full force, but the rest of the show just had too much singing and became so boring half way.

Very regretful of a film for something so anticipated.

Grimsg

Back