• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

College/university degrees

Years
  • Are you currently studying towards a college/university degree? What are you majoring in and what job(s) do you hope to find once you complete your program? For graduates who are done with school, what degree did you earn and are you happy with the decision? If you could, would you go back and obtain a different degree? If you don't currently have a degree but want to get one in the future, what field would you be interested in?

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • My first degree was at university and I took a Bachelor of Fine Arts. I was hoping to find a full-time job related to art but to no avail. After 5 years of not taking school, I've decided to apply for a trade in Interactive Design and Technology and currently in my second year (last year). It's rough and challenging with all the assignments but in the end it will be worth it to find something in the art field, plus it's a cool program.

Tbh, I sometimes wished I took a trade earlier but having a BFA degree gave me an advantage here and I feel it only evolves my skills. Plus, I did enjoy living in the city for 5 years and the peeps were cool.

I probably would have taken and art degree regardless but I did have an interest in Psychology.

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I have a BA in Journalism and am about to start an MA in Film/TV production

With the benefit of hindsight I probably wouldn't have done journalism, but it's a good solid degree so I'm not too fussed about it

The Foogle

Gone For Good
    Years
  • The way i see it, college is one of the biggest scams in the world. Why waste 4 years of your life going to a school where you might not even like the thing you're studying for, only to accrue a monstrously high amount of debt that you'll have a extremely hard time paying off?

So, instead of going to a normal college to start off with, i'm going to retake the ACT (i took it the first time, and i would have done well had it not been for my math score. 29 in English and Reading, 24 in Science and a 16 in Math. I don't think i need to explain further.) this October 22 to raise my score so i can go to a trade school. It's far cheaper and i can learn a skill that can help me save up money so if i eventually figure out what to do later on, i can go to college without so much debt!

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I started out in Early Childhood Education, did that for 3 semesters, then switched to Psychology last year when I realised teachers are treated abysmally in Australia. :( There's also zero autonomy. As evidenced by the teacher strikes lately.

During that course, I found I got consistently highest marks in child psychology units, which I was most interested in! So I think ultimately I would like a private practice after I pursue a Master's in clinical psychology and work with children. Although a psychologist is not my first choice, at least I feel comfortable knowing that Psychology won't end up a waste of time, since there's no replacement for it -- I can't just avoid the debt with a TAFE course and be done with it haha. It'll be really, really hard work, and I need to get an Honour's degree first, but I'm progressing in baby steps for now. At least it's fascinating! I do really miss the fun craft assignments from teaching, though. Running my own school would be pretty awesome (in an ideal world). Or just designing early childhood classrooms, even. I'd probably be great at that and love it, too!

My dream course was in animal behaviour. When I was a little girl, I wanted to be the next Steve Irwin. ^^; Sadly I can't access those courses online, nor do any nearby universities offer it, but that's okay, I think I may pursue it later in life. Say, in my fifties or sixties when my future kids are on their feet!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • The way i see it, college is one of the biggest scams in the world. Why waste 4 years of your life going to a school where you might not even like the thing you're studying for, only to accrue a monstrously high amount of debt that you'll have a extremely hard time paying off?

So, instead of going to a normal college to start off with, i'm going to retake the ACT (i took it the first time, and i would have done well had it not been for my math score. 29 in English and Reading, 24 in Science and a 16 in Math. I don't think i need to explain further.) this October 22 to raise my score so i can go to a trade school. It's far cheaper and i can learn a skill that can help me save up money so if i eventually figure out what to do later on, i can go to college without so much debt!

College is definitely not a scam if you want a career in something that pays a lot and requires a lot of skill and knowledge such as a doctor or lawyer. If student debt is the issue, then that's irrelevant to obtaining an actual college education in itself because the possibility exists that student debt could be eliminated. To answer the question, yes I am interested in earning a college degree and currently studying for one.

Years
  • I study psychology. After the three years degree, I'd like to get the specialization in clinical psychology. That's my first goal. I am considering being a psychologist and practice on my own. To do that, I need to study for another 4 years, while working though. Anyway, many are my uncertainties because it's a very long path and I don't like planning for the far future because everything can happen. While I enjoy the practical part of the job like knowing more people and helping them, I am definitely worried about all the rest, like having few clients, being active and enterprising enough to let people know about me (I am extremely bad at this), discrimination. I am also not excluding going to work abroad, so I just have to many uncertainties for now.

Would I change my career if I went back? Maybe. Not because I don't like psychology and I actually very looking forward to get into the field and into clinical psychology, but my interests are a lot and I very very often change my mind. I am unstable on that, it's a fact. I wanna do many things and learn a lot, so idk I have never really had a clear idea on my future or my job or never really had a super dream job. That really didn't help when I had to make my choices. I am not excluding to have a twist in life later.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    If student debt is the issue, then that's irrelevant to obtaining an actual college education in itself because the possibility exists that student debt could be eliminated.
    Yeah I....really wouldn't bank on or hold my breath on that one

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    In hindsight...I would change the decisions I made to winnow down my list of subjects starting in Year 9 (age 14!!) and not be as influenced by the racist newspapers. So I would have maintained my studies of French and German through GCSE, A-level, and University. In reality I did Geography. I got a 2:2 which technically qualifies me to be King!...except for the I have the wrong parents haha

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Everytime I see an American talk about college / university I just become a little bit happier with my country. There's a lot wrong with it but pricy higher education (including masters / PhDs) isn't one of its problems.

We also have high school / trade school combos (which are also free) if you'd rather work in trades, although it's not uncommon here to have a trade school / college pipeline with similar tracks (like chemical operator -> chemistry, or electronics -> engineering). I myself am a certified tradesman I suppose, even if I've never woked within the industry.

The main problem over here is the opportunity cost of going to college since the money given to graduate students so they can focus on their studies - or money given to poor students - is a very low amount (an intern can make more than the wages given to a masters' student, and a person fresh out of college in certain courses can be expected to make more than a PhD student). Certainly not enough for someone to live off without help from their family or a partner.

And it's in that context that I've finished an Engineering degree recently (currently looking for jobs should my contract not get renewed at my current dev job) and I'm considering possibly going for a masters degree in my area. (I'm also looking for grad opportunities overseas but that's inherently chancier).

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I have two degrees, Journalism and Audiovisual Arts; a masters' in Economic Journalism and I'm currently finishing a PhD in Economics. You can see the pattern very easily. And considering I'm currently working in that field, I guess they were indeed useful to me.

I'll add that, as an European, the whole concept of debt is alien to me. Tuition fees are heavily subsidised and you don't really need to pay for real unless you fail a subject twice. And, in turn, if you get an honourable mention in a subject, you get another one for free, which helped me save some decent money too.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I'm working towards a TEFL (Teaching of English as a Foreign Language) degree at a public university here! As Went said above, I'm unfamiliar with the concept of debt here because most of our public universities and tertiary education institutes are tuition-free; at most, you have to pay a small contribution towards upkeep. This degree's taken me a lot longer than I expected it to, though, due to some health issues (including dropping out a whole year to recover from an accident) plus ridiculously convoluted timetables that made it impossible for me to take some subjects at the point I should have taken them. That's public uni for you.

Thankfully, if everything goes right, I'll be graduating next year. I'm already qualified to take positions at English language learning institutes, but since most of those are... questionably managed, I would like to have my degree so I can take a more stable job.

Years
  • Colleges and universities are different here. I have a college diploma in Office Admin.
    So not that impressive.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I'm doing a double degree at the moment so at the end of it I'll have a Bachelor of Commerce and a Bachelor of Laws. I started out university as a Commerce student and hadn't thought about doing law. I didn't have a concrete idea of what I wanted to do after high school so I looked at what I had done best in at high school and landed on Commerce.

When I was much younger, my dream was to be a clinical psychologist but I realised that the skillset it needed and the type of job it was would not be something I'd be able to do long-term.

I've always been quite interested in how I can help other people through my career which I think is what made me interested in psychology in the first place. So I liked the potential of law to help make a difference to an individual's life, in particular in fields of law where your clients are individuals rather than businesses.

I had loved studying law in high school but was put off by the idea of law school or working as a lawyer being too hard. But realised outside of private practice, there can still be a balance with law in particular in the non-profit sectors/government/in-house jobs and that overall it seemed interesting, so I took the chance and gave it a shot. It has been hard I won't lie, but I am much more interested in the subject. I hope to work in law after I graduate as a solicitor. Hoping to one day be able to work overseas as well which would be more qualifications but will cross that road when we get there :D

For me I guess university has been a lot of not very much knowing what I want to do so maybe I will regret it down the line? But I'm just happy to see where things go...

Years
  • I had wanted to teach since I was twelve, got accepted into university early at sixteen and studied education (focused on primary school)... I got about halfway through my degree - taking me a bit longer than I'd have liked because there were issues and then I developed a crippling chronic illness out of nowhere and had to stop.

Theoretically, now that my health situation has stabilised a bit I could possibly return to long distance study eventually, but I'd hit snags with practical placements not really being possible and my situation is still too unreliable for teaching to really be an option anyway. Even if I could go back, I don't think I'd go back to teaching though. I love teaching still but I'd have to start my degree all over again because all my accrued units are now out-dated and I don't think I have it in me to start from the beginning or to deal with all the bullshit that teaching carries on the administrative side of things.

I've thought about potentially doing psychology instead one day, since that was the other thing I had actually considered looking into. It's something I'm interested in and the sort of work I'd enjoy. For now though, I'm focusing on building a writing career since I love storytelling and can do that without worrying about my health situation getting in the way. No degree needed for that.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    I am working on getting a degree in the Japanese language, a niche major that has less than 20 graduates a year at my college. It's brutal. I am not skillful at learning languages and my progress is far slower than the pace of the classes. Sometimes I'm tempted to switch to Asian Studies, but my determination to become fluent outweighs it. At the pace I'm going it'll probably be another 4-6 years before I graduate. To be honest I would only recommend this path to people who are either gifted at language learning or are crazy determined (I'm in the latter category). Most people who try Japanese quit after one or two semesters because of the sheer difficulty. The grammar is nothing like English, there are three writing systems, and there are drastically different ways of speaking depending on the level of formality. In fact, my Japanese 101 class went from a full 30 students to just 12 in the span of 8 weeks.

I'm actually switching to a different public college next year simply because my current college's Japanese program is so lacking. It relies on regurgitating scripts rather than making your own sentences. I barely learned anything in my time there. At my desired school they have Japanese professors with apprenticeship programs and an entire building dedicated to language practice. I feel far more optimistic about going there compared to my current college. In the meantime I've decided to focus on self study and getting credits in other subjects. That way I can put more time on my major once I have the chance to switch.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I have a Bachelor and a Master in sort-of-chemistry and am currently trying to finish up a thesis for a PhD in sort-of-electronics-and-chemistry. Don't wanna spell out the unique topics openly on the web.

If I could choose anew, I'm not sure I'd choose differently tbh. Perhaps I'd try a bit harder for engineering rather than pure science, but I've had a lot of fun being a researcher and I think having a career where I don't get bored at work is the best situation I could hope for tbh.

As Stardrop mentioned, it's the same here: education doesn't cost anything really. I took out a loan to cover living expenses during my bachelors and masters, but also got paid from the state to boot. Now I do have to spend the next 20 years repaying the loan but the interest is super low so it's definitely worth it for being where I am professionally today. For my PhD I have a proper employment and get a respectable salary.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
    Years
  • Our educational system works a bit differently in our country than it does in most other places but I have the equivalent of a bachelor degree in Information Technology. I briefly studied to become a dermatologist at a university but stopped my study because of personal life reasons and started working full-time instead. I then made a full career switch 2/3 years later to IT.

If I could do things differently then I would have never stopped my study. I finished a new study so I thankfully don't have to pay the student loan that I originally had from my study at the university due to being in an older program but I also think it's something I would have loved to do. I was just already 21/22 by the time I started studying again and felt like I was too late for university/too late to become anything related in that field due to my road of chosen occupation taking at least 6-8 years of my life. My living situation wasn't stable and I needed to be able to finish a study fast and get working so that I could get my own place. I don't regret the choices and sacrifices I made for that.

If my situation had been different, I would have never stopped my study to begin with. I'm also very interested in psychology so I would have liked to do anything in that field as well though that's not something I knew back then. That started only a few years ago. Maybe in an alternate universe~

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • Considering the Dutch educational system is different than others and I have no idea how to compare. I finished what we called a MBO education in IT 4 years ago. Could have gone HBO but didn't bother since I wanted to work and failed 2 HBO courses before.

Worst part is I was fucked ever since leaving elementary. They misplaced me for being socially inept and I've been having a shit mentality for studying ever since.

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
  • For reference, I live in Florida, United State.

Nothing of importance occurred until middle school, where middle schoolers were given the opportunity of writing an essay about their struggles living a life with low-income. Unfortunately I wasn't one of the chosen three that were granted quite a nice scholarship. I forgot about it and continued on. During the last two years of high school I finally decided to return to focusing on college. I prepared myself for the last year of high school, when I decided to enter a program called Dual-Enrollment. One college class counted as two high school classes, and at the time we had six classes in high school during the day. So, for the last year, I was taking two high school classes (equivalent to like…. Er, I admit I forgot, but I want to say two hours worth?) whereas I would take two college classes. This gave me a head start in college, albeit I did envy those that began the program a year prior, since they were able to graduate high school with an Associates. However, I did volunteer and take exams to acquire the state's scholarship called Bright Futures, and managed to acquire the highest tier, which pays for 100% of your tuition. Furthermore I was insanely lucky due to the fact that one of the middle school chosen ones (those that wrote the essay about their struggles in a low-income familiy) had apparently lost sight of their future and was sorta failing high school. I was the fourth one, the "back up" in case one of these three would fail, and thus this large scholarship that paid for four years of college (equivalent to 50% of the year's tuition) was handed over to me. Imagine my shock yet happiness in seeing everything fall into place. Not only that, but I won a dozen or so smaller scholarships, all of which allowed me to get a sizable check in the thousands every semester after the tuition was all paid since they were like "ah, guess you can keep the rest of the cash."

Regardless, I graduated high school and immediately threw about into the local college. With a year under my belt, it only took one year to acquire the A.A. Degree. I transferred over to University of South Florida (mainly due to their medicine department) and began my Bachelors in Biomedical Sciences there.

But you see. I guess my mistake was being pushed into believing medicine would be my dream career since it was what I was good at, but not necessarily what I wanted. My original dreams were crushed by my family from a young age and careers as physicians, lawyers, engineers were constantly praised and pushed on to us. So I guess I figured that eventually medicine would grow on me. And it did! Sorta. I really loved learning it, don't get me wrong, but practicing it was a whole different thing. I tried small jobs during all this to dip my toes in this and it only further fueled my fears.

So, once I was a little over halfway with my bachelors degree, I had begun to wobble and doubt my future, something that once upon a time was so solidified. I ended up falling in love, got married, had children, all in the span of this first year of my bachelor's degree. My sudden shift in life, along with my doubt and hesitation to continue my pursuit to be a physician, then led to me dropping out of the university.

I don't plan on returning. For a while I was quite distraught over having wasted my scholarships and years of my life in a degree that would later be a detriment in entering the workforce again. But now it's like… hey, at least I don't have student debt. The scholarships paid for everything, and I'm thankful for that.

Back