• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Combination Attacks [ #22 ]

Do you like combination attacks?

• Total voters

Multigen

The Splicer
Years
  • I think this is kind of stupid. There's no way I'm going to teach two of my pokes moves that dont do anything except take up space if you are ever in a single battle, one of the pokes faints, you dont have both of them on your team, or one of them can't use the move for whatever reason.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    I like them, but will probably never use them seeing as theres only 3 combinations, all having to be done by starters -_-

soϲks

da grovyle
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2011
    I like them, but will probably never use them seeing as theres only 3 combinations, all having to be done by starters -_-

Can't the monkeys learn the moves too? I'm probably mistaken, but...

Anyway, I actually was really excited for the "combination" moves when they were first announced. I kind of would have preferred to see a lot more variety and um other combination moves. I mean, these are kinda cool, but when it's so exclusive and limited, it really puts a damper on combination moves in general. :/

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • They should add Fly+Thunder. Yay for Thunder Armor. Anyway, the concept sounds interesting, and if not useful, at least it will be a nice effect.

SilverCrown

Fired Up!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 6, 2022
    I really love the idea of them adding new things to the games to improve them even more, but I probably won't end up using them. But it's cool that they're trying different things now. :)

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I don't really care about that kind of moves. However... I do see potential in the future.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Good idea, bad execution currently. Last time I checked, you couldn't get two of the starters when you begin your journey, rendering all of these combo moves useless unless you trade in another starter (which is not something I intend to do).

If they were to extend this idea to other moves and Pokemon, I could see this being an interesting gameplay element. But as it stands, it's not something I would (or even could) use in battle.

Years
  • The idea their putting out seems decent, however I know I'll never be using them cause I don't like the starters that much. So it's pretty much useless in my opinion.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • These moves are definitely... interesting. It's a great idea, but I won't find myself using combo moves so much. At least the Oaths, because I don't find their affects that useful. However, I may start choosing combo moves in the future, depending on the new effects they get.

gregory_turner420

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
  • i personally dont like them, i feel they are trying to make the battle system over the top but in the end it will just ruin a there near flawless battle system

Soviet Russia

The Chosen Nub
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    Yes, Because I'm going to overkill them when I get the American Versions on Sunday. :P

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Do you like the addition of combination attacks?

If yes, do you think they should've been added earlier?
    If not, why? Are they overkill to an already great battle system?
    What other moves do you think could be used as a combination attack?​

1. I like them, and additions in Generation 3 would have been nice since double battles were a key selling point (and the whole point behind Plusle and Minun). They even had awesome, useful, and logical contest combinations, which DPPt horribly watered down and completely butchered. :cer_pissed: But BW needs to innovate the battle system somehow.

2. There could have been Pledges Oaths of the other different types, such as Dragon Oath or Electric Oath.

I for one am not going to take the effort to use two starters in a double battle only to use that combo attack.

I honestly don't want any other moves to become a combination attack, it just isn't necessary :/ Other wise the three elemental monkeys could learn a combo attack I guess.

But yeah just not necessary, but I don't care for it.

The "same-turn" thing needed for activation of the Oath effects is somewhat annoying. Having the three wise monkeys learn the Oaths would have strengthened their "triple battle" thematic motif. And the starter limitation is horrible; coupled with the fact that the moves are only good for double and/or triple battles. They're horrendous in single battles, where many better alternatives are available (Flamethrower, Surf, Leaf Blade/Energy Ball). Even in double/triple battles, the field effects hardly compensate for the paltry 50 base power of the Oaths.

Combination Attacks [ #22 ]

OMG so cute for usage of Water Oath!

They'd be useful for long battles, especially Water Oath + Grass Oath.

The field effects would fit better for longer battles, but the weak base power is hardly enough to maintain a Pokemon's standing in such a situation. By the time both Pokemon are able to set up the field effect, one or both of them will be on the way to a knockout...

There's no way I'm going to teach two of my pokes moves that dont do anything except take up space if you are ever in a single battle, one of the pokes faints, you dont have both of them on your team, or one of them can't use the move for whatever reason.

There's also that drawback. Both Pokemon have to survive the turn, or else you just wasted two move slots (and potentially a party Pokemon slot if the only reason you brought the starter was for the Oath move).

They should add Fly+Thunder. Yay for Thunder Armor. Anyway, the concept sounds interesting, and if not useful, at least it will be a nice effect.

Yeah! Why can't we have nice things? (in the games) I was thinking moves like Thunderbolt and Surf could have combination abilities instead - as in:

1. You drench your opponent in water with the move Surf
    2. The Pokemon stricken by Surf gains a volatile/temporary "Soaked" status. This "status" would fade after ~5 turns, representing the Pokemon "drying off"/water evaporation. Water moves could be repeatedly used to maintain the "Soaked" status of the hit Pokemon, thus resetting how long it takes for the status to disappear.
    3. As long as the Pokemon has the "Soaked" status, Electric-type moves like Thunderbolt could deal 1.5x more damage or something.

Thunder Armor FTW.

Good idea, bad execution currently. Last time I checked, you couldn't get two of the starters when you begin your journey, rendering all of these combo moves useless unless you trade in another starter (which is not something I intend to do).

If they were to extend this idea to other moves and Pokemon, I could see this being an interesting gameplay element. But as it stands, it's not something I would (or even could) use in battle.

This. Heck, even the starter-exclusive Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon, and Frenzy Plant are better alternatives because they're more likely to KO the opponent in one go, minimizing the need for expending time to create field effects.

The idea of "combination attacks" in battles has potential just like they did in RSE Pokemon Contests, but the meager offering of limited Oath moves just ruins the whole concept and makes such a strategy unwieldy.

Nameless.

Combination attacks are something else. I've been wanting this type of thing to happen ever since Generation 1. After all, they had Pokemon creating combos in the anime and in the movies. I understand not having the means to create the combo moves because battles were strictly 1 vs 1, but to me there was no excuse in Gen 3. >.< We had double battles, it wasn't impossible. They definitely thought of the combinations in the anime, so I don't understand why it took them 14 years or more to create them in-game.

I don't want to come off a whiner, but now that we have them, only the Pledges/Oaths can do them. It's definitely a start, but only 3 moves can combo? I hope they build on this either in the third game, or in the next generation. It's pretty hard to get a hold of a good amount of starters, at least to me, so it isn't like you can combo these moves often. You'd need a trade partner to get more than 1 starter in B&W and you'd have to wait a good while to use the Poke Shifter to get starters from other games. Kinda takes away the awesome factor huh?

The moves that can combo aren't all that powerful either. Base 50 is a pretty lame start if you ask me. 60 at least would have been nice. With names like Grass Pledge, you'd expect them to be something truly exceptional, but they aren't as great as anticipated for combo moves. Now, I've never used these combos, so I'm not sure how great they really are ; or if they make up for the low base power. But I just can't see them being all that great. I pretty much forgot they existed until I saw this thread, so they must not be all they are cracked up to be.

I agree with fenyx, it would have been way more meaningful if Pokemon other than the starters were able to learn the Pledges/Oaths. The monkeys are a great gizmo for the triple battle feature, so why not let them learn the Pledges/Oaths too? This makes no sense to me. It makes it annoying to try to get a hold of these moves just to combo after 15 years without it in-game.

How disappointing. ;_;

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I don't feel that combination attacks really fit into Pokemon, and I've never been a huge fan of the idea in RPG's in general to begin with.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    It's a new feature introduced in the fifth generation, so I'm probably going to try them out at least once. It wouldn't really hurt.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • I still say they should have used attack types to generate combinations, instead of specific attacks. Like, if you use an attack that would get the opponant wet, like Water Gun or even just Water Sport, an electric attack should hit a lot harder, because logically, water conducts electricity.

They use attacks like this in the anime, so why can't we use them in the game?

Back