• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Come on! Let's take a dive!

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    HM08

Known as Dive in RSE, it was the only game that used Dive as a big feature and a requirement to progress to the story! Althought it regained its HM status in BW, it wasnt used extensively as RSE did.

Since we have ORAS, what do you think diving would be now? Would we even have Dive this time around? What do you think would the underwater look like in 3D?

Discuss!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I'm sure we're bound to have Dive again. I mean, it was literally one of the most important aspects of the originals. Plus, it was so dang fun and amazing to swim at the ocean floor, finding cute lil' Chinchou and Clamperl, and getting myself a cute lil' Relicanth. I can only imagine how amazing the underwater areas would look in full 3DS mode. I really hope they incorporate more sea-life and such around in the area, too. Maybe like some wild Pokemon that can't be caught just floating around on the rocks, maybe some coral reefs and such, sponges, seaweed, anemones, etc. I'm sure if they're to bring that back, they'll go nutso crazy with how pretty it will look.

I really hope they have even more Pokemon for the underwater routes, too. 3 Pokemon just didn't seem like enough Pokemon that would live on the ocean floor, ya know?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Oh, go HM02 a kite. Everyone knows Dive is going to make a comeback, because it was a HM involved in the plotline (to get to the underwater base and Sotopolis) and think about the possibilities of Dive in the new areas they're going to (possibly) release. They also were a source to three of the Pokémon that could give you shards.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Dive could be like Glittering Cave - over the shoulder POV. That could be fun.
    This, with the light dimming as you go further down and the more you press forward, the underwater world unravels. I'm really excited to see how Dive is handled because if it's nerfed I'll be really disappointed considering its importance in the original games. I mean, how could it be removed in the first place given the original endgame of the evil teams was in an underwater cavern?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    This, with the light dimming as you go further down and the more you press forward, the underwater world unravels. I'm really excited to see how Dive is handled because if it's nerfed I'll be really disappointed considering its importance in the original games. I mean, how could it be removed in the first place given the original endgame of the evil teams was in an underwater cavern?

Imagine... underwater trainer battles! Pokémon Trainers scuba diving underground (much like us) challenge us to battles, and all that in the middle of a trench below sea level. Imagine.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Imagine... underwater trainer battles! Pokémon Trainers scuba diving underground (much like us) challenge us to battles, and all that in the middle of a trench below sea level. Imagine.
    I always thought it was weird there were no trainers in the first place, and that you could only encounter Pokemon in the seaweed. What's up with that? Hopefully there's a little more atmosphere with Pokemon swimming around and maybe that's how you encounter them, and there's also trainers floating around, but optional so you aren't dragged into an underwater battle.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I always thought it was weird there were no trainers in the first place, and that you could only encounter Pokemon in the seaweed. What's up with that? Hopefully there's a little more atmosphere with Pokemon swimming around and maybe that's how you encounter them, and there's also trainers floating around, but optional so you aren't dragged into an underwater battle.

Something like Sky Battles, huh? They would be having Water types that we find underwater (about time someone had a Chinchou or a Relicanth) and they would battle us after many glub glubs. Pokémon swimming around... well, I'm not sure how they'd implement that, but it's a cool idea, nonetheless!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Something like Sky Battles, huh? They would be having Water types that we find underwater (about time someone had a Chinchou or a Relicanth) and they would battle us after many glub glubs. Pokémon swimming around... well, I'm not sure how they'd implement that, but it's a cool idea, nonetheless!
    By that I just mean when you cross a certain tile, a Pokemon swims across the water above or below you and off-screen, or there's just Pokemon stationed to a certain few tiles that move around just like people but you can't actually battle them... or maybe you can. ;)

Yeah that was my thought with trainers. I think it'd be rad.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    By that I just mean when you cross a certain tile, a Pokemon swims across the water above or below you and off-screen, or there's just Pokemon stationed to a certain few tiles that move around just like people but you can't actually battle them... or maybe you can. ;)

Oh, that would be exciting. Perhaps most of them would run off when we come close, and we would think all of them do that, and then one of them emerges out and battles! It could be a good way to implement hordes underwater, imo.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    I hope that they don't pull the same thing in Hoenn 3D like they did in Black and White. That limited amount of movement was pure bologna and not being able to catch any Pokemon sucked. :c

I hope that they keep the same things that they did in Ruby and Sapphire. In Black and White for the reasons stated above, was limited and that was sad. I hope they don't do the same thing...

I really can't wait to see how beautiful the water is though. It'll look so nice with the flowing plants in your way while you're diving and the 3D bubbles!! AHHHH <3

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    All in all, Diving is probably the one thing I'm most looking forward to in ORAS. In fact, diving is exactly why I expected RSE remakes on the 3DS - because being able to move around freely in a 3D environment underwater is going to be incredible.

And mark my words - it IS going to be incredible. I'm willing to predict now that it'll be one of the highlights of the games, just because it's such a perfect opportunity for GF to show off what they can do with the new technology.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I'm sure we're bound to have Dive again. I mean, it was literally one of the most important aspects of the originals. Plus, it was so dang fun and amazing to swim at the ocean floor, finding cute lil' Chinchou and Clamperl, and getting myself a cute lil' Relicanth. I can only imagine how amazing the underwater areas would look in full 3DS mode. I really hope they incorporate more sea-life and such around in the area, too. Maybe like some wild Pokemon that can't be caught just floating around on the rocks, maybe some coral reefs and such, sponges, seaweed, anemones, etc. I'm sure if they're to bring that back, they'll go nutso crazy with how pretty it will look.

I really hope they have even more Pokemon for the underwater routes, too. 3 Pokemon just didn't seem like enough Pokemon that would live on the ocean floor, ya know?

Yeah...the Hidden Move (HM) Dive should be making a full-fledged comeback, considering that you can't visit Seafloor Cavern, enter Sootopolis City, or unlock the Regis/Legendary Golems without it! The implementation could conceivably be changed to something else (like a portable submarine from Hammerspace XD), but I doubt it.

The envisioning of light dimming as the player descends in the water just sounds amazing/gorgeous... :3

Wow; I can't believe that we didn't actually have underwater Trainer battles... Maybe the "Diver" and/or "Deepsea/Undersea Treasure Hunter" Trainer classes will become a thing?

LOL; watch Underwater Pokemon battles become the next touted "feature" of OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire, where the only eligible Pokemon are those Pokemon that can Dive and/or Water-type Pokemon. {XD}

Yeah that was my thought with trainers. I think it'd be rad.

Background Pokemon swimming around in the scenery would just be pur-ty. :3

Oh, that would be exciting. Perhaps most of them would run off when we come close, and we would think all of them do that, and then one of them emerges out and battles! It could be a good way to implement hordes underwater, imo.

Underwater hordes would be interesting (and kind of scary if you think about it)!

All in all, Diving is probably the one thing I'm most looking forward to in ORAS. In fact, diving is exactly why I expected RSE remakes on the 3DS - because being able to move around freely in a 3D environment underwater is going to be incredible.

And mark my words - it IS going to be incredible. I'm willing to predict now that it'll be one of the highlights of the games, just because it's such a perfect opportunity for GF to show off what they can do with the new technology.

Wow; I forgot about XY's non-(less?)grid-based directional system...that will be astounding to see implemented in the underwater areas of Hoenn!

I'm kind of hoping for underwater "ledges", oddly enough, so that there can be a heightened sense of elevation/depth..

*starts remembering the many troubles that Twitch Plays Pokemon had with the Dive feature of Pokemon Emerald* {XD}

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'm actually hope that they add more diving spots to the region. I remember there was a dark spot in Sapphire and Emerald (never got to play Ruby) that looked like it could be dived into. It was near the currents. I always tried to find a way in...there was no way to get there...hopefully in these remakes they make it accessible and add more than just that.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
    It would be great if they had Pokemon actually swimming around whenever you went underwater, that would be awesome and make the world feel so much more alive. I'm really excited to see what GF will do about this.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Imagine dive being in a fully 3D environment- as in, you can move up and down as well as around the grid! And maybe if customization, you have to have scuba gear equipped to do it or something (because let's be sensible someday). But wow full range of movement and different things and lighting at different levels and what if you could use Flash in tandem with Dive to brighten up the deeper areas and aaaaah would be so cool. <3

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    MARINE TUBE! Take the idea of all these pokemon floating around, but be swimming next to them!

Medals for Wailord Watching.

Some of the Mega Stone should be found with HM DIVE!

Last edited:

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
    Years
    Dive will definitely be back, I would hate to see the backlash if it wasn't! I can't quite see an explanation for it being taken out (assuming they'd offer one), so I'm sure it'll be here. I'm not gonna get my hopes up for it though, I don't want to expect something amazing and then get something as bland as the BW diving.

Back