• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Battling Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Question to everyone who battles competitively: Who all takes the time and patience to breed for perfect IV's? I am considering getting into battling in OU competitively, and I don't really want to take the time and breed for perfect IV's. I know it can really change the potential of your team if they are absolutely maxed out. But still....it takes way too long, even with the flawless Ditto + power item method is used.

I used to. I might get back into it once the third game is released, though I don't have the luxury of time I used to have, so much any more. Just stick with Pokemon Online.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years

Actually, most of us use Pokemon Online, which is a battle simulator meaning you wouldn't have to breed/Ev train etc. You just go on to it make a team and get battling. We even have our own server on it. Although, some people do battle competitively using their cartridges. Which people usually just RNG their Pokemon.

I pretty much do that, PO is so much easier and quicker, it's also great to test Pokémon before going to the trouble of getting them in-game. I mainly RNG and EV train Pokémon for like the Battle Subway.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Question to everyone who battles competitively: Who all takes the time and patience to breed for perfect IV's? I am considering getting into battling in OU competitively, and I don't really want to take the time and breed for perfect IV's. I know it can really change the potential of your team if they are absolutely maxed out. But still....it takes way too long, even with the flawless Ditto + power item method is used.

Even though I battle competitively, I don't breed/try to catch Pokemon with perfect IVs, since it's very time consuming. I go for IVs of 20-31 in the stats I'm taking advantage of.

You can always RNG for Pokemon with perfect IVs. I tried that a few times, but I failed miserably.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The server is down? CAN YOU NOT LAST LIKE 2 WEEKS?! :(

Also @ discussion, I'd never breed for any good stats, waaay too lazy for that. I was motivated to do that once and then I gave up after like the 10th egg, so...

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022

I did get a flawless Dragonite (31/31/31/x/31/31). Once. After about a month of breeding and three boxes of Dratini. Dragonite's my favorite pokemon so I just had to get the best. Other than that I've settled for IVs in the 20's.

But yeah, most competitive players here and around the internet just use Pokemon Online. Quicker, easier to organize, the list goes on and on.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I don't take the time to breed perfect IVs. It seems completely pointless to me. Sure, it's not if you do battle competitively, but I take more time in EV training as well as sets that people won't really expect (over WiFi) but as for IV training? Nah.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I don't take the time to breed perfect IVs. It seems completely pointless to me. Sure, it's not if you do battle competitively, but I take more time in EV training as well as sets that people won't really expect (over WiFi) but as for IV training? Nah.

I use to think EV training was tough. Then I took on breeding. Psh. EV training is the part I look forward to now lol

vaporeon7

Years
The server is down? CAN YOU NOT LAST LIKE 2 WEEKS?! :(

Also @ discussion, I'd never breed for any good stats, waaay too lazy for that. I was motivated to do that once and then I gave up after like the 10th egg, so...

No, I cannot last two weeks. My friend agreed to battle me today, after like 4 months, and I couldn't go on it. ;w;

I did offer to teach you how to RNG somewhat/give you some flawless Pokémon.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Bubuuuu why does server have to be downn ;o; Also breeding perfect IV's is really near impossible unless you have million hours free time and the will at that. I already thought EV training was a pain.

vaporeon7

Years
Bubuuuu why does server have to be downn ;o; Also breeding perfect IV's is really near impossible unless you have million hours free time and the will at that. I already thought EV training was a pain.

The most perfect IVs I have got by luck is 4/5 (the attack didn't matter) and the right nature/ability, and that took me forever. So that is why I rng.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
Years
I don't know if there is a thread on this, so I'll post here.

For when Keledo comes out, and becomes legal to use. I've come up with a set for it to use.

It doesn't have much options in the special field, so this is the best set I could come up with

Timid/Modest
EV 252 SPAtk, 252 Spd, 4 Df
Item - Life Orb
Moves
-Calm Mind
-Focus Blast/Secret Sword
-Surf/Scald
-Hidden Power (Ice, Fire, Ground)

You could also replace calm mind with Secret Sword and have a choice item on this Pokemon.

I would assume this Pokemon would be in UU or BL teir due to the crap sp-offensive movepool it has.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
It wants HP Electric, Dark or Ice.

HP Electric hits Gyarados, HP Dark hits Jelli, Latios, Celebi, Slowbro, Starmie etc whilst HP Ice hits Dragons. HP Fire doesnt do anything and neither does Ground and have largely redundant coverage with its other moves.

Plus its OU in Dream World, so when its released that'll probably be reflected in actual Ou.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
HEY GUYS. Collectively, three of us on the server agreed volturning sucked/sucks, which is dominating the metagame @ Smogon and everywhere else. What we were thinking to make this "fairer" to all of us, so like we're more inspired to battle and not quite so negative after being easily swept by volturning is to somehow ban volturning on our server.

BUT, catch is, it'd only apply when laddering. So in other words, people should ladder rather than normally battle (so for clans & stuff normal battles) but to actually use teams, ladder on this server, and without volturning, and with primarily weather, it'd sorta even everything up. Plus people would be inspired to battle/continue to battle to stay there, since again, many of us get annoyed @ Smogon, so it'd be a great way to kinda keep a CBC community going if this was advertised as something people should do.

okay it's the best idea ever y/y i'm so great at ideas i know. posting 4 discussion. idk.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
HEY GUYS. Collectively, three of us on the server agreed volturning sucked/sucks, which is dominating the metagame @ Smogon and everywhere else. What we were thinking to make this "fairer" to all of us, so like we're more inspired to battle and not quite so negative after being easily swept by volturning is to somehow ban volturning on our server.

BUT, catch is, it'd only apply when laddering. So in other words, people should ladder rather than normally battle (so for clans & stuff normal battles) but to actually use teams, ladder on this server, and without volturning, and with primarily weather, it'd sorta even everything up. Plus people would be inspired to battle/continue to battle to stay there, since again, many of us get annoyed @ Smogon, so it'd be a great way to kinda keep a CBC community going if this was advertised as something people should do.

okay it's the best idea ever y/y i'm so great at ideas i know. posting 4 discussion. idk.

I. just. made. a. team. revolving. around. volturning..

Back the the drawing board :/

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
...you realise this was just an idea right? XD

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
...you realise this was just an idea right? XD

lol still :P

Anyways, for clarification: If I don't ladder, I can continue using a volturn core? Like, if I only do clan and casual battles?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
With my idea, yes! Of course... it would need a lot of work, but yeah. :x

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Volt Turning is the sole reason i cannot wait for Lightning Rod Zap to be released more than anything. This is the part where i actually miss gen 4 because of how bad gen 5 is :/ lol

Also;

201201261712575073.jpg

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
just saying OU sucks bad and y'all should play NU with me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back