• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
  • This patch is now out of date, see this post for the newest one.

I have uploaded a new patch that fixes several bugs and typos, introduces more quality of life features, and makes the Sp. Attack EV trainer's Gengar less cheap. The link in the first post has been updated, but you can also grab it from here: https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/releases/tag/v1.4.0

PLEASE NOTE: This release may change some players' options settings. Players are advised to check their options menu and reset to their preferred options when booting up this release for the first time.

Quality of Life Changes:

• Left and right can now jump forward or backward in the TM Case and Berry Pouch.
    • Autorun now affects surfing speed the same way it affects running speed. If autorun is on, the default surfing speed will be the fastest speed and holding B will surf at normal speed.
    • Bag sorting has been implemented. Press start in the bag to open the sorting options.
    • Bag pockets now wrap around when switching between them.
    • Cooltrainer Caspara, the Special Attack EV trainer in Cape Brink, no longer has Destiny Bond on her Gengar.
    • The Battle Anim Speed option has been separated into its constituent parts and put in a submenu of the options menu. Check the help menu for detailed descriptions of each. The new options are:
    • Battle Transitions [ON/OFF]
    • Battle Intro Anim [ON/OFF]
    • Move Animations [ON/OFF] (renamed from Battle Scene)
    • HP Bar Anim Speed [STANDARD/FAST/FASTER/INSTANT]
    • EXP Bar Anim Speed [STANDARD/INSTANT]​

Bug Fixes:
    • Fixed an unintended interaction between some textboxes and the map name popup.
    • B now moves the cursor to run in Safari battles as well, as originally intended.
    • Fixed typo in Master Bug Catcher and Youngster text.
    • The version exclusive list for FireRed no longer mentions Bellsprout twice.
    • A warp in the Blue layout of Cerulean Cave erroneously led to the RG layout and has been fixed.
    • A warp in the Yellow layout of Cerulean Cave wasn't working at all (which could trap players) and has been fixed.
    • Fixed several collision errors in the Yellow layout of Cerulean Cave.
    • The player can no longer resurface in unintended areas from Underwater Bond Bridge.
    • Link battles no longer corrupt the Medicine and Held Items pockets.
    • Deoxys formes now appear correctly when Deoxys uses a field move or an item is used on it.
    • Fixed the snowflake weather that occasionally happens on Four Island to not sometimes fall in columns. Additionally, the weather should no longer spawn so many snowflakes that it hits the sprite limit, which should solve an issue where the player's reflection would sometimes not appear while it is snowing.

Miscellaneous:
    • The Gambler's text is now fully decensored.
    • Sun and Moon Stones are now purchasable from the Two Island merchant after fixing the Network Machine. As a result, Moon Stones can now be sold.
    • The classic RBY textbox is now available as frame type 11 in the options menu.
    • The Key System Menu has had some of its options put in a submenu to make room for possible future key settings.

---

This release ended up being much bigger than I anticipated, but I hope everyone enjoys it. Here are some gifs of the new options menu and Key System Menu.
    New%20Option.gif
    Key%20System.gif

There are still some things and feature requests that I'd like to include in a future release, but since this release includes some pretty important bug fixes I didn't want to wait until I felt like implementing them to push this out.

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    From the default first pocket, switching your bag pockets one to the right, then very quickly two to the left will cause a crash.

I'm using the LR button mode to do this.

EDIT: Actually, it appears that just going through your bag pockets too fast in LR button mode causes this. Always happens when I hit the Ball pocket.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Just tested, crashes for me as well, LR mode and simple left-right on the d-pad. I'll be extra careful bag scrolling for the time being 😁

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    Hi there.

1. FRLG+ is fully compatible with vanilla FR. I'm not sure what the issue is here, but I'm assuming it's something to do with your system or emulator settings.

2. The new release does just that, based on your feedback! Check my next post!

Yea, that could be it. Anyway I did get it to work by making a copy FRLG+ .gba file and trading between those two.

Thank you for adding an option for health bar depletion speed, as I figured if I wanna save time, I'll just hold tab to fast forward instead.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • From the default first pocket, switching your bag pockets one to the right, then very quickly two to the left will cause a crash.

I'm using the LR button mode to do this.

EDIT: Actually, it appears that just going through your bag pockets too fast in LR button mode causes this. Always happens when I hit the Ball pocket.

Just tested, crashes for me as well, LR mode and simple left-right on the d-pad. I'll be extra careful bag scrolling for the time being 😁

I can't believe I didn't catch this while testing. It's not just LR Mode, it's all button modes. I'll get to work and have a fix out shortly. A crash as easy to perform as this one can't sit unfixed.

Yea, that could be it. Anyway I did get it to work by making a copy FRLG+ .gba file and trading between those two.

Thank you for adding an option for health bar depletion speed, as I figured if I wanna save time, I'll just hold tab to fast forward instead.

No problem. FRLG+ is made with playing on hardware in mind, so I just assumed that everyone will want faster health bar depletion. It wasn't a hassle to make the standard speed an option once I separated out the Battle Anim Speed options into separate ones, so taking your feedback into account was a no-brainer.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • This patch is now out of date, see this post for the newest one.

I have uploaded a new patch that fixes a critical bug that would cause the game to crash when switching bag pockets too quickly. The link in the first post has been updated, but you can also grab it from here: https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/releases/tag/v1.4.1

• The bag should no longer crash when switching pockets quickly and wrapping around.

This was the only change. I advise everyone to update from v1.4.0 to this version as soon as possible, since the crash is very frequent during normal use of the bag.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Where is the v1.4.1 "bps" file?

https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/tree/master/patch - you can grab it from here until it's updated in the releases properly

I have uploaded a new patch that fixes a critical bug that would cause the game to crash when switching bag pockets too quickly. The link in the first post has been updated, but you can also grab it from here: https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/releases/tag/v1.4.1

• The bag should no longer crash when switching pockets quickly and wrapping around.

This was the only change. I advise everyone to update from v1.4.0 to this version as soon as possible, since the crash is very frequent during normal use of the bag.

Did the older Pokemon games never have a metric option for PAL users? I could have sworn I saw something metric-related in the decomp but only just noticed the Pokedex is imperial. Feel like my childhood was a lie...

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Where is the v1.4.1 "bps" file?

Sorry. In my haste to get out the bugfix, I didn't upload the patch directly to the release like I normally do. Fixed now.

Did the older Pokemon games never have a metric option for PAL users? I could have sworn I saw something metric-related in the decomp but only just noticed the Pokedex is imperial. Feel like my childhood was a lie...

English releases never had a metric option, even outside of the US. The unit switch is on the todo list for the eventual next release and is partially why I put the advanced difficulty options in a submenu of the Key System. I figure units should be a key because it's unlikely that players will be switching back and forth and it feels to me to fit the design philosophy of a key more than an option because it changes the world instead of changing how you interface with the world like regular options do.

I want to "localize" more than just the Pokedex heights and weights when I implement the metric units because imperial units are used in some text and for things like measuring Heracross in the Sevii Islands, which is why I didn't just blindly pull in from the available Emerald implementations of this feature that I have seen around. I want imperial to be totally eradicated for players that opt to use metric units.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    I dont know if you will kind enough or if it already exist a document or a message with the location or how to obtain the kanto starters or the other fossil the one you didnt choose and how do you evolve the trade evolutions. Also i would like to know the location of the New move tutor and if you still need mushroom to use the move relearner. Thank you great game.

Years
  • Also are you going to add an option that disables EVs and gets Stat Calculation to treat all IVs as perfect 31s all around, and rematchable EXP Grinding trainers to the Pokemon Centers?

If you code a dialogue choice to repeat battles, you don't have to reuse the VS Seeker each time you want to fight them.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I dont know if you will kind enough or if it already exist a document or a message with the location or how to obtain the kanto starters or the other fossil the one you didnt choose and how do you evolve the trade evolutions. Also i would like to know the location of the New move tutor and if you still need mushroom to use the move relearner. Thank you great game.

Read the first post and the features document that it links to. The unchosen Kanto starters are postgame as is the unchosen fossil. Yes, you still need mushrooms for the Move Relearner.

Can you give the Pokeballs, Great Balls, Ultra Balls, and Safari Balls a 100% catch rate? Like the Master Ball.

I could, but that's not what this hack is about so I'm not going to.

Also are you going to add an option that disables EVs and gets Stat Calculation to treat all IVs as perfect 31s all around, and rematchable EXP Grinding trainers to the Pokemon Centers?

If you code a dialogue choice to repeat battles, you don't have to reuse the VS Seeker each time you want to fight them.

Disabling EVs and treating IVs as perfect are already options in the Key System Menu. I won't be adding trainers to the Pokemon Centers, just use the VS Seeker like in FRLG.

Years
  • I understand. What if you increased the effectiveness reduced health percentage has on the Pokeball catching calculation, so damaging Pokemon before capture is still necessary?

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    Really like all the small additions that aren't just tacked on randomly, but keep the immersion intact and stay faithful to the original game. For instance Silph Co. workers each having custom dialogue, Sevii Island graphic changes to make them more distinct, and the new dive areas are really nice. I've got some more questions/requests if you don't mind.

- Could there a repeatable way to obtain medicine items like ether, elixir and max revive through gameplay (e.g. battle/trainer tower, Elite 4, or Gym leader rematches)? This doesn't have to include the more powerful items like max ether/elixir, rare candies and such.

- There seems to be a bug with Deoxys not having perfect IVs despite the option being toggled on.

- Is there a list of all Master trainer locations? I've found most of them, but searching through every corner and every building in the game for the last ones is kinda tedious.

- Feature list says Gym Leader rematches are unlocked on Seven Island, however I haven't found out how to do it yet. Any ideas?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I understand. What if you increased the effectiveness reduced health percentage has on the Pokeball catching calculation, so damaging Pokemon before capture is still necessary?

I won't be changing anything about the catching formula. Thanks for the feedback.

Really like all the small additions that aren't just tacked on randomly, but keep the immersion intact and stay faithful to the original game. For instance Silph Co. workers each having custom dialogue, Sevii Island graphic changes to make them more distinct, and the new dive areas are really nice. I've got some more questions/requests if you don't mind.

- Could there a repeatable way to obtain medicine items like ether, elixir and max revive through gameplay (e.g. battle/trainer tower, Elite 4, or Gym leader rematches)? This doesn't have to include the more powerful items like max ether/elixir, rare candies and such.

- There seems to be a bug with Deoxys not having perfect IVs despite the option being toggled on.

- Is there a list of all Master trainer locations? I've found most of them, but searching through every corner and every building in the game for the last ones is kinda tedious.

- Feature list says Gym Leader rematches are unlocked on Seven Island, however I haven't found out how to do it yet. Any ideas?

Thanks for your comments.

1. I wasn't aware that those items are limited in FRLG. To be honest, I don't think that that's such a big deal when Leppa Berries are infinite and Revives are good enough. I'll have to think about this, as these items were also pretty limited in RSE (outside of super-rare Pickup drops in Emerald).

2. Thanks! I'll take a look.

3. They're all in the same locations as in LGPE (with the exception of ones that would have been on Cycling Road which have been moved to the connecting Routes). Bulbapedia has a list of where they are.

4. Talk to the old lady with a Spearow in the house on Seven Island.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Is there a way to obtain a wailmer pail or similar to that?
    Cause I saw sudowoodo at Battle Tower Area outside, and I don't know how to engage it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    Think I found another bug when trying out Master trainers. I filled the fame checker as needed, invited Brock to Seven Island and then won the battle against him. After that he left the building (as intended I presume) and I could invite another gym leader. I invited Misty, but after she arrived there and without any battle, I invited Lt. Surge too as a test. This caused Misty to leave, and Surge to never appear despite the old lady telling he's already been invited to train. Same thing for other gym leaders, they get an invite but never show up, and now I can't invite them again cause they've apparently finished training there. Can't rematch any of them (including Brock) at their respective gyms either.

Is it intended that you must reinvite a gym leader to Seven Island every time you wanna battle them, and then do so after every single match (as each invite takes time to complete)? Or should it be possbile to repeatedly fight them in their gyms once their one-off training is done? Because as I said above, I can't rematch Brock in Pewter Gym at all.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2022
    First of all thank you so much for sharing FRLG-Plus with us and maintaining it. I have really been enjoying the game so far! I finished all the "vanilla" main story and post-game contents (finished the islands story, cerulean cave, and beat the E4 for the 2nd time).
    I am trying to complete the extended dex, but I wasn't able to find some of the post-game contents that are described in your github. I'm hoping you'll be able to answer some questions. Specifically:

1) Event Islands tickets: Where do I get the ticket to Southern Island/Birth Island/Navel Rock? I was able to find the Old Sea Map which got me to Faraway Island (Mew) but not the other three. Am I missing any gameplay milestones? Where should I look?

2) Third starter: I was only able to get the second starter from island 4, but not the third one. You mention that "All Kanto Pokémon will be available in one playthrough.", so is there a way to also get the third starter as an egg in the same playthrough?

Back