• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+

Years
  • Seen yesterday
I love this romhack. I'll never play the original after it.
Usually romhacks try to cram in all new mons and mechanics at the expense of what I believe is the most important thing; mon legality.
Pokémon games are not made to be self-contained, you are supposed to be able to carry your mons from game to game; this makes them more meaningful.
I wish more romhacks were like this one and Heliodor.
Could you please document the way you make new mons legal so that more romhacks can embrace this philosophy? (dive Pokémon and expanded Safari Zone mons, for example)
Also, since there already is a Challenge Mode and a Nuzlocke Mode, I think the next step is a Double Battles Mode.

Spoiler: Bug found:

Last edited:

tepig2346

Burger Farmer
Years
Love this rom, I might be the only one who actually wants this but I would LOVE to have the pokemon contests added! It's my favourite gen 3 mechanic and would love to try it in Kanto though I don't think it'll happen anytime soon, just know at least one person will interact with it.

Days
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 3, 2024
Hey Deokisishu, love the rom hack, i have one question, i want to shiny hunt deoxys and mew, the odds are the same as in vanilla right, or is the rng of the mythicals bugged like in emerald? Cause i just found a shiny psyduck in seafom islands cave and that made me doubt (i did read the faq). Sorry for the inconvenience

Last edited:
Years
Love this hack, first of all! Moreorless exactly what I wanted, which is great.

Found a softlock bug in the Sevii Islands, unfortunately. Talking to the Flute crafting man and then backing out of his dialogue option (by selecting Exit, pressing B works normally) doesn't close the text box. You can talk to him again without issue (which doesn't do anything besides bring the box back up), but talking to another NPC crashes the game. It seems to just be his son that causes the crash (related to his walking maybe?).

But yeah, that dialogue option seems a bit glitchy. Couldn't find any info on if that was a vanilla bug or not. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Years
  • Age 67
  • Seen Jan 25, 2024

Found a softlock bug in the Sevii Islands, unfortunately. Talking to the Flute crafting man and then backing out of his dialogue option (by selecting Exit, pressing B works normally) doesn't close the text box. You can talk to him again without issue (which doesn't do anything besides bring the box back up), but talking to another NPC crashes the game. It seems to just be his son that causes the crash (related to his walking maybe?).

But yeah, that dialogue option seems a bit glitchy. Couldn't find any info on if that was a vanilla bug or not. Doesn't seem to be the case.
It's a simple problem with a simple fix. They accidentally set the code to "case 7, OneIsland_KindleRoad_GlassWorkshop_EventScript_CancelGlassItemSelect" instead of "case 5, OneIsland_KindleRoad_GlassWorkshop_EventScript_CancelGlassItemSelect". Because there are five total flutes you can craft, and each one is its own case, starting from case 0 up to case 4 are the flutes. Exit is case 5, but was set to case 7. The code doesn't know what to do about case 7 because it's looking for case 5, the next case that it expects, thus the next part of the text box code breaks and doesn't fire properly. The reason it works when you press B is that pressing B is *always* case 127 in the code, and thus always fires correctly. Anyway, they'll fix it eventually, or you can fix it yourself now.

Years
It's a simple problem with a simple fix. They accidentally set the code to "case 7, OneIsland_KindleRoad_GlassWorkshop_EventScript_CancelGlassItemSelect" instead of "case 5, OneIsland_KindleRoad_GlassWorkshop_EventScript_CancelGlassItemSelect". Because there are five total flutes you can craft, and each one is its own case, starting from case 0 up to case 4 are the flutes. Exit is case 5, but was set to case 7. The code doesn't know what to do about case 7 because it's looking for case 5, the next case that it expects, thus the next part of the text box code breaks and doesn't fire properly. The reason it works when you press B is that pressing B is *always* case 127 in the code, and thus always fires correctly. Anyway, they'll fix it eventually, or you can fix it yourself now.
Yeah, figured it was just a bad dialog pointer, but wasn't sure what to look at since I'm new to the FireRed decomp. That makes sense, I've changed it in my own build. Thank you!

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Loving the hack btw! I just got done with defeating all the master trainers but I can't seem to find the Super secret boss? I tried to talking to the one guy in Pallet Town but that didn't help

I don't want to publicly reveal the identity of the secret super boss, but it's a character that you have met before. Good luck!

I love this romhack. I'll never play the original after it.
Usually romhacks try to cram in all new mons and mechanics at the expense of what I believe is the most important thing; mon legality.
Pokémon games are not made to be self-contained, you are supposed to be able to carry your mons from game to game; this makes them more meaningful.
I wish more romhacks were like this one and Heliodor.
Could you please document the way you make new mons legal so that more romhacks can embrace this philosophy? (dive Pokémon and expanded Safari Zone mons, for example)
Also, since there already is a Challenge Mode and a Nuzlocke Mode, I think the next step is a Double Battles Mode.

Spoiler: Bug found:

Thanks for the nice comment. Regarding the legality, this post has some details. I'm not sure how I feel about a mode for Double Battles. There are several Gen 3 bugs regarding doubles that would have to be fixed first.

Thanks for your bug report. It's been fixed in the next release (which is in the post just below this one).

Love this rom, I might be the only one who actually wants this but I would LOVE to have the pokemon contests added! It's my favourite gen 3 mechanic and would love to try it in Kanto though I don't think it'll happen anytime soon, just know at least one person will interact with it.

I love Contests too. Maybe one day!

Hey Deokisishu, love the rom hack, i have one question, i want to shiny hunt deoxys and mew, the odds are the same as in vanilla right, or is the rng of the mythicals bugged like in emerald? Cause i just found a shiny psyduck in seafom islands cave and that made me doubt (i did read the faq). Sorry for the inconvenience

Read the FAQ one more time.

Thanks for the bug report and your nice comment. It's been fixed in the next release (which is in the post just below this one).

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
This patch is now out of date, see this post for the newest one.

I have uploaded a new patch that fixes two potential crashes and many bugs and tile errors, adjusts some Master Trainers, and adds some additional quality of life features and general performance improvements. The link in the first post has been updated, but you can also grab it from here: https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/releases/tag/v1.5.0.

Please remember to check the FAQ before asking questions.

This is very likely to the be the last release with new features in it before v2.0.0, which will be incompatible with current FRLG+ saves. I will continue to fix game-breaking bugs and crashes in minor (v1.5.x) bugfix releases going forward. It would be an absolute miracle if I had the time to get v2.0.0 out in 2024, so don't let it stop you from enjoying FRLG+ now as it's still quite a ways off.

New Features:
• Most map loads from warps will be significantly faster. In the best case they should be around 4x faster and at the minimum around 2x faster.
• Sprite loading/sorting optimizations were ported from RHH. This increases performance in the field.
• Return and Frustration's true power is shown on the summary screen.
• Weather Ball's type and power are updated with the weather in both the summary screen and in battle.
• Nature Power now displays the type, power, and accuracy of the move it will call in both the summary screen and in battle.
• The summary screen now prints a modified "nice place" string for eggs obtained from Pokémon Box: Ruby & Sapphire signifying that the egg was obtained from Brigette.
• TM44 (Rest) has been added to the Celadon Dept. Store TM shop inventory and is no longer missable.
• Restored the vanilla functionality where the Pokémon Center nurse can tell if someone the player has played with before is currently in the Union Room when the Wireless Adapter is connected.

Bug Fixes:
• Fixed Wireless Adapter linking desyncing and disconnecting frequently due to an earlier WaitForVBlank() change.
• Fixed issues with the Cinnabar softlock check.
• Fixed a path tile error in Sevault Canyon.
• Fixed tile layering error in Cerulean Cave's Yellow 1F layout.
• Fix accidental restrictions on trading Chimecho before the National Dex is obtained.
• Sun and Moon Stones are now no longer removed from the Two Island shop inventory when it expands for the final time.
• Fixed Gym Leaders in the Seven Island Rematch House resetting when loading a save in the room.
• The Day Care Man now raises his hand instead of walking forward, fixing a bug where he can rarely trap the player in the Day Care fence. He still indicates that an Egg is present immediately.
• In Nuzlocke and No Free Heals Modes, swapping Pokemon with the PC Box hand should no longer sometimes faint them.
• The player can no longer challenge the Trainer Tower with the Nuzlocke or No Free Heals Modes enabled.
• Fixed the "Exit" option in Glass Workshop menu, avoiding a possible game crash.
• Improve snow weather for Four Island.
• Pokemon now gain effort values when the Exp. Modifier key is set to 0×.
• Fixed Ghost unveiling with the Silph Scope sometimes corrupting the battle background when the Move Animation option is set to off.
• In vanilla, Super Nerds in Mt. Moon use a Scientist OW sprite. They have been changed to the Super Nerd OW sprite.
• Fixed the vanilla evolution move-learning glitch.
• Fixed trying to sort a bag pocket with no or one item erroneously respawing the horizontal scroll arrows infinitely, avoiding a possible game crash.
• Fixed a typo in Blaine's after-battle rematch text.

Master Trainer adjustments:
• The Golbat Master's Golbat now knows Aerial Ace in place of the incorrect Wish.
• The Dragonite Master now has a Dragonite instead of the incorrect Dragonair.
• The Dragonite Master's Dragonite now knows Ice Punch instead of Ice Beam.
• The Scyther Master's Scyther now has Hidden Power Flying instead of Hidden Power Rock.
• Forcing a draw with Master Trainers no longer confers the title and counts as a loss.

Additionally, the Challenge Mode levels for all the Giovanni battles as well as the Elite Four and Champion rematches have been added to the FAQ.

As an aside, please do not upload the patch or especially a patched ROM to third-party sites. I am explicitly not giving my permission for FRLG+ to be on sites that host patched ROMs. They are making ad revenue money off of my work, mess up my download metrics, and are generally unsafe and frequently outdated.

EDIT: I created a comparison video for warp speed between FRLG+ (on the left) and vanilla FireRed (on the right). Up was pressed on the same frame for both to enter, and then down was immediately held so both games exit as soon as possible. The speed increase is pretty significant in many cases. I think this is a pretty typical scenario, definitely not the best or worst-case improvement.

Last edited:
Days
  • Seen Feb 3, 2024
I'm having a problem with the patch. If I go into the "Key System" settings on the main page, I only see options to change Version, Difficulty, and Advanced Keys. I can't see other options like the Perfect IV's and EXP multiplier. I've been playing for a couple weeks and just noticed since I wanted to change EXP output since I'm in the post game now.

Edit: Never mind. I'm just dumb.

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
I have uploaded a new patch that fixes a softlock and several bugs and oversights. The link in the first post has been updated, but you can also grab it from here: https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/releases/tag/v1.5.1.

Please remember to check the FAQ before asking questions.

Bug Fixes:
• Fixed Silph Co. 4F failing to load with a black screen.
• Fixed an unintentional reversion in printing the "FERRY" met location for Pokémon hatched on the S.S. Tidal. The met location should no longer be blank in the summary screen.
• Fixed an unintentional reversion with Deoxys' icon handling. Its icon should now show correctly based on its current forme in the PC's party popout.
• Route 12's Rocker Luca's rematch now uses the correct trainer sprite.
• Newly-added OW sprites should now animate like their vanilla counterparts when the VS Seeker triggers a rematch instead of all defaulting to raising their hand and staying still.
• Swimming Master Trainers now use the swimming-and-raise-hand animation when undefeated instead of the aforementioned raise-hand-and-stay-still animation.
• Fixed the Pickup message for one picked-up item. It should no longer print nonsense for the item name at the end of a battle.
• Fixed the Pokémon Center healing jingle playing the incorrect song and not restarting the music.

Additionally, an entry has been added to the FAQ about obtaining the legendary beasts.

As an aside, please do not upload the patch or especially a patched ROM to third-party sites. I am explicitly not giving my permission for FRLG+ to be on sites that host patched ROMs. They are making ad revenue money off of my work, mess up my download metrics, and are generally unsafe and frequently outdated.

Last edited:
Days
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
So I downloaded the new update, I played around in it for a bit and I ran into a small issue. When I leave the cable car building to get to Four Island, my character runs in place in front of the door. They're locked in and no inputs are accepted except for the start button.

It seems to only happen the first time that I exit the building. I don't have a clue how this happens. (Youtube link for visual.)

Days
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Would it be possible to increase the limit on the coin case to match Gen 4? The limit of 50,000 coins would make shiny hunting pokemon such as Porygon and Dratini easier.

Days
  • Seen Feb 8, 2024
Hi! I wanted to say that this rom rocks! FRLG were my first Pokémon game.
I love all the QoL and extras added.
If I could be selfish there would be one thing that would make this the definitive version, the Sevii island OST should be the OG, or at least if there could be a toggle for it! Those themes are integral to the feel and atmosphere of the Sevii island imo.

Other than that thank you! This has been a blast to play

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen yesterday
I'm encountering a crash that happens sometimes. I forgot exactly what the text said now but I sometimes get a black backround with white text that says "normand" or something like that (if I get the crash again I'll edit my post) along with distorted sound. Why does this happen? I'm playing on a PSvita using retroarch along with gpSP core.

Years
Hey Deokishisu, thank you for sharing your ROM hack! During my first playthrough of it, I've noticed a minor issue with the LINKBRACELET item text.
LinkBraceletFRLG+.png
It seems like the Rival name doesn't get printed on the item selection screen.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 6, 2024
great job on this hack! Any plans to add the johto starters somewhere? Or are they already somewhere?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen yesterday
I'm encountering a crash that happens sometimes. I forgot exactly what the text said now but I sometimes get a black backround with white text that says "normand" or something like that (if I get the crash again I'll edit my post) along with distorted sound. Why does this happen? I'm playing on a PSvita using retroarch along with gpSP core.

I'm noticing a pattern where it seems to happen usually when I restart the game.

Back