• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Concerned About Touchscreens.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
  • For anyone who claims he/she doesn't like the touch screen, I have to question whether he or she has actually played a DS.

At E3 2004, no one really knew what the DS would be like before going on the show floor. Everyone thought it would be a gimick. But when they actually tried the thing, the genius suddenly became clearer. It's something that must be experienced.

A friend and I were talking. He said the DS was "limited." I countered by saying it was "unlimited" because of all the creative flexibility it offers developers. He said they should've just put a normal anologue control stick on. I said that the touch screen can act as a virtual analogue controller (ie metroid prime hunteres) and be like a mouse, which is even better. Besides, if they put an anologue controller there they wouldn't be able to use the clamshell design, which I explained to be one of the design flaws of the PSP - it's large, highly scratchable screen is always exposed. So the touch screen is just like using a mouse. Do you have something against computers too? In fact, computers were the first technologies to impliment touch screen technology. So there.

And of course, the best thing about the touch screen is the fact that it makes FPS's possible on handhealds.

I rest my case.

Scyther5

One DEAD GUTTED Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    DarkMage31 said:
    For anyone who claims he/she doesn't like the touch screen, I have to question whether he or she has actually played a DS.
    Yes I own one, Its not the most comfortable thhing to use, thats why I prefer the PSP. Also First Person shooters are possible on other hand helds I can name two right of the bat that are coming out for the PSP. Coded Arms and Infected. :P

Digital_Remix

Master In Training
    Years
  • Scyther5 said:
    Yeah, I agree the touch screen wasnt to great of an idea and isnt utalized very well right now, but for some reason I was still lured into buying it. I don't regret it ether cuz great games like Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, and D/P are coming out.

PSP still ownz DS though :P

It all depends. When the DS gets some GOOD games out, like the new Castlevania, I think more people will like it over the PSP. The only thing good about the PSP is that it stores pictures and media and plays music also. Yet, a one gig memory stick costs HALF the price of a PSP. $150 right now. Hard to store all my **** on it when I have several gigs of music. Let alone movies. They need bigger for cheaper if they're going to do that. a 40 gig I-pod it what.. a few hundred dollars more. For 39 more gigs. Sony thinks they can compete with the Ipod.. I think not.

I own a PSP. I've had it for a few weeks now, and I think it's a piece of trash. The games aren't good except for the Dynasty Warriors. My joystick is already bending inward and my square button is jamming. I take the utmost care of my product and it's just normal wear that's killing it. Sony just doesn't make quality product like Nintendo, which is why I'll be trading in my PSP for a DS in a few days.

We have a DS for public use at my work and the touchpad has taken a beating and still works properly.

Guess it all comes down to personal likings.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Ok this is why I think the DS's touch screen and controls are better then the PSP's (remember, I'm just talking about the controls not the whole touch screen or the system itself).

The PSP's analog stick is nice and it fits the PSP really well. But you can only use the left hand for that. The DS you can use the touch screen, and since it's in the middle and way larger then the analog stick you can use your right or left hand.
    And the D-Pad and the A, B, X, Y buttons are at the same 4 points (I know the PSP's the same way but keep reading). So on some games you might be able to change the controls around depending on the way you like it. You can do it in the Metriod demo that came with the DS. You can switch the controls around for left and right handed controls. So if moving around with the A, B, X, Y buttons feels better then the D-Pad then you might be able to switch it around.

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
  • Yeah, and it also offers the two stick control, for shooters, which you can't do on the PSP. And since it would be hard to reach over and press the buttons when you have one hand on the D-Pad and one hand on the touch screen, the touch screen also features all the controls the buttons would have (sounds confusing, but play GoldenEye Rougue Agent DS and you'll see exactly what i mean). I'm not saying that the PSP couldn't handle shooters, but you wouldn't have as much control as you do with the DS.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Oh I also forgot to add something (That's what I get for making the post at 2 am XD).

Both the DS and PSP has 10 playing buttons (counting the D-Pad but not counting the vol buttons and all them on the PSP) on the system. The PSP has an analog stick and teh DS has a touch screen.
    Now with the PSP you can only have 10 buttons.
    But since the touch screen comes into play again you can have more on the DS. Like the Metriod demo you can tap the screen twice to jump (you could count that as a button). Or you can click the button on the screen to roll up into a ball. And click another for changing your gun. The DS can have more then 10 buttons since the bottom screen is a touch screen. The touch screen on the DS has lots of uses to it.

Homsar_225

A Song From the Sixties
    Years
  • Happy Dude said:
    eh,If you and your little buddies don't want the DS don't come to a pokemon forum and start bashing nintendo.

Anyway the touch screen owns everything.So mEH.

Look, I'm not trying to bash Nintendo, okay? I'm just trying to say how I didn't like the DS' touchscreen, and when I heard the Revolution was gonna have a touchscreen, (from some apparently unrelaible sources) I was trying to see how everyone else felt about it.

Oh, and if you all could do me all a favor, and stop giving me bad reps for this thread, leaving comments like "idiot", "you suck", "get a life", etc. etc., I'd appreciate it.

Oops. I just double posted.

Back