• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Considering a custom starter?

Bird Keeper

Master of the Skies
Years
  • A lot of people have long expressed the desire to pick a starter Pokemon that's not a Fire, Grass, or Water type.

So for GH/SS, I'm considering a custom starter: I'll pick one of the regular three (doesn't matter which one) and then immediately save and use either an Action Replay or a save editor program like Pokesav to change that starter into the Pokemon of my choice!

Obviously, maintaining challenge is important, so I'd keep it at first level and make sure to pick an unevolved type, like Pidgey for Flying, Pichu for Electric, Machop for Fighting, etc.

Would you consider doing this?

xRaVeNx

Pokemon Wastelander
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2010
    Hmm it's not a bad idea. But I would start the game with what ever pokemon I have more fun that way. But it's up to you what you do realy.

Cheyanne

I have Yusei Fudo's Zorua.
    Years
  • I did pretty much, well not entirely from the start but I had to get my GuildMaster Wigglytuff so I Ared a Jigglypuff and a Shiny Charmander at the Museum. I been training them throughout the whole game.

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
  • We've been wanting this since 2002 lol =[
    to make it awesome they should allow you to choose any nfe pokemon

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • That would be cool. I wouldn't use AR but I'd take advantage of it if it was in the game.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yeah. I'd love to start with Pichu. Or imagine starting with Riolu!!

I might actually breed one with Volt Tackle, trade it over and use it. It'd be cool. I actually like all of their evolution line.

I wouldn't AR/PokeSav though.To much of a risk, just to get a different starter.

Cheyanne

Years
  • AR codes arn't a risk...if you make them yourself and don't save bad eggs. Also, using it to pump all your Pokemon to 100 if really lame.

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    Honestly, I would do that.
    I'd start with a Mareep named AGU.
    Then I catch Cyndaquil in the wild later. lol

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    Well,After like the second or third time doing new game yeah.
    Perhaps Caterpie.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Lol.Start with the choice of fire,water,electric.

Either use Entei,Suicune or Raikou.Now that'd be epic

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'm going to trade over an entire competitive baby team with ideal moves. I know, I'm cheap :P

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I've been wanting to try that with a Riolu, but I lost my AR and Platinum right after thinking about it. D=

In my experience, AR codes are surprisingly safe so long as you don't go stupid with them.

Cheyanne

Years
  • Yeah sure they are safe...I've even had codes give me bad eggs. What do you do? Don't save. Gets rid of it perfectly.

Find that AR =o

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    I'd love to start out the journey with a 3-stage pokemon(ghastly, poliwag, or a regular starter), and an egg of something semi-rare, such as larvitar or dratini.

Grifstar

Certified Shark Bait
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Actually this is sort of what I did in Platinum. Well, first I just played through the game naturally. Besides just using Pokesav for EVs so that I didn't need to grind for them and sending over a couple eggs from Pearl. But once I had defeating the E4 down to pretty much an art (was already around level 80s, turned them all to 100, called it even).

Copied all the boxes, made a new file, shipped all the boxes to the new game, replayed the game all over again with the pokemon I hardly or never used the first time around(starting with the weakest ones first). Because I always find it funner leveling as you play through the game than how it is after with only power and level grinding. And it's once again a challenge. Plus it's something different.

... Too bad I'm getting really sick of Sinnoh though, doing it 3 times in a row is kinda much >>.

There's actually a lot of inventive things you can do with PokeSav, it's too bad most people instead threat it as "raaaaarrr 100 of all legendaries!1!!11one D<". Seriously, if you're just gonna do things like that why are you even still playing?

Back