• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Coolest new feature?

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    LV50 flat battles really were overdue, especially seeing how LV50 battle is the main format over here.

Still, a huge, huge improvement, something that makes getting HGSS worth it.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Flat battles, the Pokéthelon, and the Following Feature happen to be the top three features I like the best. Flat battles like kohei stated were long overdue since Diamond and Pearl. It'll now allow so many to stick with their original team they designed and easily downgrade the levels to 50 for Nintendo Hosted Tournaments and/or for the Wii, without the hassle of retraining anything. So, definitely a plus for HGSS that I think many will appreciate right now.

The Pokéthelon because of the challenge it brings. It shares a variety of games for you and your Pokémon, plus with the inclusion of stats it really adds a bonus to the difficulty level of the feature. Even if they didn't include Pokémon Contests like I had hoped, they still brought in something new that looks promising enough.

As for the Following Feature, what can I say; it is just great for me all around. A return from Pokémon Yellow, but definitely enhanced. It includes all 493 Pokémon plus the shiny forms and alternate forms such as Shaymin and Shaymin's Sky Form. I don't think it could have gotten any better except for some improved OW sprites, but nothing is ever really perfect.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Okay, I didn't even know about the Flat Battles feature, but I now know that that is awesome.

...(Don't have HG/SS yet, so wondering-) Can your Japanese HGSS Pokemon flat battle gainst someone's American Platinum Pokemon?

-PM260

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
    I love how you can rematch the gym leaders in a fun way rather than that stupid building in Pokemon Platinum, here you gotta FIND them out in the region =P

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    Anything but Pokemon following! =P. Seriously I must be one of the few that finds it extremely annoying.

Anyways, the ones I actually like are the much-improved Headbutting (that you either always or never get a Pokemon), Pokethalon with Apricorns having more uses, and the new customizable Safari Zone.

Years
    1. Johto is back!
    2.Sabrina looks awesome
    3.Blaine has a hat
    4.Good Kanto gyms
    5.You can get all the starters without any gba games!!!

Storm

HG/SS Fan!

Fire Gym leader!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2009
    the coolest new feature for me would have to be the pokelathon

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Your team members following you, and adding on to that, the ability to take pictures with your team in various locations. I guess I'm just sentimental like that...

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    I'm positively sure that the flat level battles were also featured in D/P/Pt. I remember going into the Battle Tower with level 80's and entering them into the Lv.50 battles, and their levels being dropped to 50. Actually...I think I've seen this happen in the Wi-Fi battles, too. Maybe it's just me. BUT...anywho, I'd have to say the use of the touch screen. I absolutely, positively love it. The fact that you're not really having to touch the XYAB buttons is a definitely plus in my book. Definite good use of the touch screen, Nintendo. :D

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    It's easy....
    Pokeathelon - totally owns Contsts
    Following Feature - I love Wailord ;)
    Flat Battles - Seriously , I always had to train my Pokemon to Lv. 100 to battle my bro' with Rare Candy hax .

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm positively sure that the flat level battles were also featured in D/P/Pt. I remember going into the Battle Tower with level 80's and entering them into the Lv.50 battles, and their levels being dropped to 50. Actually...I think I've seen this happen in the Wi-Fi battles, too. Maybe it's just me. BUT...anywho, I'd have to say the use of the touch screen. I absolutely, positively love it. The fact that you're not really having to touch the XYAB buttons is a definitely plus in my book. Definite good use of the touch screen, Nintendo. :D

They're talking about local wireless battles, where it did not do that in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

Anyways, I'm glad that the Apricorns are alot easier to get(Though on the flip side, Berries alot really annoying to get ahold of). And the GB Player is a big plus for those of use who've played the originals.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Flat battles, the Pokéthelon, and the Following Feature happen to be the top three features I like the best. Flat battles like kohei stated were long overdue since Diamond and Pearl. It'll now allow so many to stick with their original team they designed and easily downgrade the levels to 50 for Nintendo Hosted Tournaments and/or for the Wii, without the hassle of retraining anything. So, definitely a plus for HGSS that I think many will appreciate right now.

The Pokéthelon because of the challenge it brings. It shares a variety of games for you and your Pokémon, plus with the inclusion of stats it really adds a bonus to the difficulty level of the feature. Even if they didn't include Pokémon Contests like I had hoped, they still brought in something new that looks promising enough.

As for the Following Feature, what can I say; it is just great for me all around. A return from Pokémon Yellow, but definitely enhanced. It includes all 493 Pokémon plus the shiny forms and alternate forms such as Shaymin and Shaymin's Sky Form. I don't think it could have gotten any better except for some improved OW sprites, but nothing is ever really perfect.
    Pfft, thats why I love you man. Great minds think alike and all that :3, I completley agree with this. Obvoiusly I'll stress the following feature more because I really loved the essence of Yellow that you got from it. Also, the sprites have been greatly enhanced which makes for a more premium expirence.

Back