• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: CoroCoro reveals new Pokémon

Years
    It's about time we got a Koala Pokémon. Too bad it may be this gen's early route Pokémon, which are usually weak even upon their final evolution.

So the mysterious Pokémon from CoroCoro's trailer is a dog after all. And it's a Rock type? What?

You mean the story about the dog who died upon years waiting for its master to return?

Story of the dog who died years waiting for its master? If you remember the backstory with fossil Pokemon it's that they've been dead for years and were revived which gave them their Rock typing, so maybe this dog ended up being revived as a rock. Also, Iwanko seems to represent another alchemic element - in this case, lead.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    It's name has the Japanese word for rock 'Iwa'. As well as Japanese for woof 'wan' and the naming suffix of 'ko' which means child.So a Japanese speaker can probably figure out with each that it's a rock type puppy dog.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    It sucks we already have Boldore...we could've had Boldog :( But alas it is not a boulder nor is it a bulldog.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    In that case, maybe it's not (or not just) the classical elements, but the classical planets.

The sun and the moon are covered by Solgaleo and Lunaala, obviously. Iwanko takes Saturn because of this lead connection.
    That leaves Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter for the three starters plus (I'm assuming) the third "mascot" legendary.
    I'd assign Mercury to the legendary because of its association with azoth.
    Mars often has connotations of fire, so there's Litten.
    Jupiter sometimes is associated with laurel leaves because of the Zeus thing, so Rowlet.
    Venus is associated with femininity, as is the Water element, so Popplio.

Maybe.

Although I understand this and like the idea, I don't really care much for the starters and other pokemon meaning the planets. I would prefer a legendary for each and not just a pokemon line.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    Both designs look good to me. I really like the dog and will probably use it on my team.

Years
    IT'S A PUPPY! Oh, and a koala I guess. But anyways THERE'S A PUPPY!

In that case, maybe it's not (or not just) the classical elements, but the classical planets.

The sun and the moon are covered by Solgaleo and Lunaala, obviously. Iwanko takes Saturn because of this lead connection.
    That leaves Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter for the three starters plus (I'm assuming) the third "mascot" legendary.
    I'd assign Mercury to the legendary because of its association with azoth.
    Mars often has connotations of fire, so there's Litten.
    Jupiter sometimes is associated with laurel leaves because of the Zeus thing, so Rowlet.
    Venus is associated with femininity, as is the Water element, so Popplio.

In Japanese Mercury is 水星 (suisei, "water star"), Jupiter is 木星 (mokusei - like Rowlet's name Mokuroh -"wood star"), Mars is 火星 (kasei, "fire star"). Saturn is 土星 (dosei, "earth star"). Venus is 金星 (kinsei, "gold star") and in a way is makes sense to have this be the one associated with the (assumed) third legendary since Venus is the morning star and the evening star, seen only around sunset and sunrise. That makes it something related to both day and night like the sun and moon. I dunno what kind of alchemy related stuff Venus is associate with though.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    IT'S A PUPPY! Oh, and a koala I guess. But anyways THERE'S A PUPPY!

In Japanese Mercury is 水星 (suisei, "water star"), Jupiter is 木星 (mokusei - like Rowlet's name Mokuroh -"wood star"), Mars is 火星 (kasei, "fire star"). Saturn is 土星 (dosei, "earth star"). Venus is 金星 (kinsei, "gold star") and in a way is makes sense to have this be the one associated with the (assumed) third legendary since Venus is the morning star and the evening star, seen only around sunset and sunrise. That makes it something related to both day and night like the sun and moon. I dunno what kind of alchemy related stuff Venus is associate with though.
    I agree with Venus being a good choice for the third. But some think it'll be related to mars. Personallly I think Marshadow is referring to the sea as 'Mar' is spanish for sea, and Luna and Sol are also spanish words. Also in Shintoism there's a sibling trio of Kami representing the those three things, so Sea has a link to Sun and Moon.

As for the metal that Venus is connected to, it's Copper.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Haven't read too much into these just yet but I've seen the images on my phone and these two are adorable. Obviously the Puppy is the one we saw in that trailer and then the Koala Bear is the first of its kind for Pokemon. Can't wait to properly read about these two later!

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Wow, I love them. Those designs are great.

Years
    Im surprised Nintendo didn't want to keep information like this for E3 but either way I love these new Pokemon, both are super cute :3

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I really love both of them, but there only being 2 of them really has me worried. Like really. Kalos only reveled 4 in the first batch and Unova reveled like 8.

I'm not too concerned, considering they seem to be releasing new information more frequently now. Also E3 might be the reason we only got two new Pokemon in CoroCoro. They might be planning on revealing some more at E3.

Years
    I think Sabrewulf is right, the reason they didn't reveal much today aside from Iwanko, Nekkoala and extra details about an upcoming Magearna event was likely because they wanted to save more reveals for E3 considering we usually got info revealed around that time, like Fairy-type (and some new Pokemon) for XY and Mega Sableye for ORAS.

*Luxio//Hacks*

Creator of Sky Twilight + Sky Daylight?
    Years
    Iwanko and Nekkoala!!!

So there are two new Pokemon the got leaked in the corocoro scan. One is named Iwanko and the other is named Nekkoala.

Nekkoala...

Finally! A Koala Pokemon! This is the best day of my life! I wanted a Koala Pokemon since forever!!! If I ever caught one, I would nickname it...
    Spoiler:

Years
    I was browsing Tumblr and this is apparently what Iwanko is based on:

The Hawaiian Poi Dog or ʻīlio (ʻīlio mākuʻe for brown individuals)is an extinct breed of pariah dog from Hawaiʻi which was used by Native Hawaiians as a spiritual protector of children and as a source of food.

(Credit goes to Tumblr user clairvoyantxatu for this)

Hmm, extinct species? If you consider how the fossil Pokemon are based off extinct species, then that definitely explains why Iwanko is a Rock-type.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
    Nekkoara's ability is pretty cool in a competitive team since it can only be affected by sleep. Depending on its moveset and stats it could have a niche as a status absorber if you think the opponent is going to use thunder wave, will o wisp etc. Would be even better if it had U-Turn or Volt Switch hehe

I like both of the new Pokemon's designs. Both very cute and different. Iwanko the first rock type dog - wonder if it'll be a early encounter in the game.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I can't wait to see what the other one turns out to be. So far it's a rock type and who knows what it might evolve into.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    It sucks we already have Boldore...we could've had Boldog :( But alas it is not a boulder nor is it a bulldog.
    Pupple. The pebble puppy.

I agree with Venus being a good choice for the third. But some think it'll be related to mars. Personallly I think Marshadow is referring to the sea as 'Mar' is spanish for sea, and Luna and Sol are also spanish words. Also in Shintoism there's a sibling trio of Kami representing the those three things, so Sea has a link to Sun and Moon.

As for the metal that Venus is connected to, it's Copper.

Yeah, I'm not set on my choices here. Heck, I'm not even set on the theory as a whole.
    But the Mercury/azoth connection feels Legendary to me. If they're going the alchemy route, and it really seems they are, then they should use the alchemical connotations over the Japanese names, in my opinion.

But, if the "sea shadow" interpretation of Marshadow is correct, then "water star" could also refer to that. Which would just leave Venus' Japanese name without a tie to its starter, Popplio.

Also, my reasoning for Popplio being Venus was probably the weakest, but there's also this: when the goddess Venus was born, she rose out of the water on a giant clamshell.

But I dunno. I do feel like I'm stretching things a bit.

Back