• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: CoroCoro reveals Rockruff's evolutions & new Ultra Beasts for Sun and Moon!

Nath74K

Pokéfan
Years
  • Honestly I love the fact that we know so little about the region. We've seen some landscapes, but we know nothing more, it gives us sooooo much to discover! They're revealing a lot of things about the gameplay, the pokemons, ... So it would be the least they could do to let us discover Alola on our own.

Guys, my mind is kind of confused right now. From what I read in this thread, people are saying "I love Rockruff's Midnight/Daytime form so I'm glad I'm picking Moon/Sun". I thought Rockruff's evolutions are different based on the time of the day, not based on the game you're playing '-' But I might be wrong. Any information regarding this?

Serebii says the evolution depends on when in the day/night you make Rockruff evolves.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Guys, my mind is kind of confused right now. From what I read in this thread, people are saying "I love Rockruff's Midnight/Daytime form so I'm glad I'm picking Moon/Sun". I thought Rockruff's evolutions are different based on the time of the day, not based on the game you're playing '-' But I might be wrong. Any information regarding this?

It's based on time of day.
    I think people might be saying they're glad they're picking the version appropriate to the form because the twelve hour difference will make acquisition of the varying forms easier based on playing one particular game over the other during the day time, assuming that the day time would be their prime hours of playing the game.

I'm mainly a night time game player, since I'm interested in getting Moon my prime gaming hours will appear as daylight in the game. I prefer Night Rockruff, so it makes his acquisition during my personal preferred time to play games rather difficult, I'll have to evolve him in the day time (night time in game) on a day when I'm not working.
    The 12 hour difference between the games is already providing some weird and interesting complications to the overall game play, especially since it seems a lot of features within this game are hinged on what time of the day in game you play it at.

Edit: Turns out with the most recent Coro Coro scans, I am completely wrong, looks like these evolutions are in fact Version Exclusives. Sorry for the misleading information.

Last edited:

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Then again, if UB-01 is Lillie, UB-02 is Lusamine, UB-02 Expansion is... Faba? ._________.

Expansion is Gladion, almost guaranteed. Reason not only being the pattern they've set in terms of the designs, but the symbolism Expansion might represent as well.

Expansion's color scheme matches Gladion, for one. Expansion has mosquito-like features. This implies that it drinks blood/life energy, and like actual mosquitoes in real life after they "feed", it expands. In this case the life energy would give it more power, so it grows muscular.

Expansion is a thirst for life energy, and ultimately a thirst for power. Gladion is the sibling belonging to a known criminal organization, and is much more forceful/blunt in personality.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Another thing is that he's known as the "Enforcer" of Team Skull. UB-02 Expansion is intimidating enough to fit that description, IMO.

I'm almost convinced the UB's are aliens. They're starting to remind me more and more of something straight out of Ben 10.

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2019
    Wow, gotta say, I love both of Rockruff's evolutions! I almost want both on my time lol. I have a slight preference for the day one, but I like night form too. I can't decide tbh. But seeing as I'm getting Moon, it'll probably evolve into night form.

If the typings or stats are different, which I hope they are, that would help. Midday seems as if it will be pure rock, while Midnight seems rock/dark. Midday might be part dark too though who knows. I feel like both will be attackers, but Midday being a bit more defensive and Midnight being speedy? Maybe even a special attacker?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2016
    Whoa, the Ultra Beasts are version exclusives? That may change my theory about them. I think they're transdimensional reflections of humans in the Pokemon world. UB01 is Lillie. UB02 is Lusamine...but with the version exclusivity, I think UB02 expansion might represent Gladion instead. Either way, the Aether Foundation and the Lillie family are ALL tangled up in this mess.

Attribule

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I'm almost convinced the UB's are aliens. They're starting to remind me more and more of something straight out of Ben 10.

Well, don't we already know the Ultra Beasts are man-made? They wouldn't be aliens if that were the case.

Though, I agree that they do look like alien creatures. It makes me curious to see what Pokemon exist outside of the established "world" of Pokemon. We've had alien Pokemon before, in the form of Deoxys, so it would never be a stretch to introduce more alien life into the games moving forward.

Gen 8: Takes place on an entirely new planet. {:3}

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Well, don't we already know the Ultra Beasts are man-made? They wouldn't be aliens if that were the case.
    There's no confirmation of this as far as I know; lots of people are speculating they are made by Aether Corp. as part of a sinister plan, but all we know of them officially is that they're "mysterious creatures" and they "possess mighty powers and could pose a threat to humans and Pokémon, so they are feared."

Right now I'm in the group that thinks Aether Corp. made them, but it's just as likely that UB's are organic creatures, or even a form of alien life.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Well, don't we already know the Ultra Beasts are man-made? They wouldn't be aliens if that were the case.

Though, I agree that they do look like alien creatures. It makes me curious to see what Pokemon exist outside of the established "world" of Pokemon. We've had alien Pokemon before, in the form of Deoxys, so it would never be a stretch to introduce more alien life into the games moving forward.

Gen 8: Takes place on an entirely new planet. {:3}

Actually, that's a theory. Looking back at the old news, there is nothing that outright says that they're man-made. This is an example of speculation being take as fact, something which has happened in future gen speculation in the past.

Actually, I was thinking of Deoxys before going to sleep, and began thinking... what if the Ultra Beasts came down to earth around the same time as the meteor in the Delta Episode. It would connect things back to Hoenn. Plus, it's not that farfetch'd of an idea, seeing how Hoenn is based on Kyushu, the closest place geographically to Hawaii out of the places that have inspired the six regions prior to Alola.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • But I think it's a matter of it being similar to a new formula established by sticker star. To me Sticker Star is not an innovation, it almost feels like if we changed the main series pokemon games to have battles like pokemon Go. I would actually be devastated, it would not be the same rpg.

Sun and Moon keep the core gameplay that makes pokemon, well...pokemon. While, at the same time, there are innovative mechanics and features to keep the series fresh.

Whereas Colorsplash seems to take out everything that made the originals good, and added features for the sake of adding new features. Like what is up with making it into a card game? Or the fact that we do not get interesting new partners based on mario species. It's like if pokemon stopped including Pokemon!!!! We all LOVED the originals because of the partners, leveling up, and the interesting open map world. There was TONS of room for new innovation, within those parameters I defined, but instead they failed to balance innovation and keeping the core gameplay intact -- so it is basically not the same series as the other paper marios. :/

I cannot see a fair comparison between pokemon and paper mario. Clearly, GF has established a core gameplay that connects all of the games together despite different innovations. Sun and Moon clearly stand out for being successful at introducing new features and character all while sticking to the spirit of a Pokemon game -- unlike Color Splash.

Let me show you why that's sheer nonsense.

Also, didn't you also criticize the recent Mario & Luigi games for being stale and too much hand-holding? The hypocrisy from video game fandoms such as the Mario RPG fanbases is why I can't take criticisms towards Pokemon Sun and Moon being too different from the past six gen games seriously. If you really want these games to evolve from being stale and boring, then don't mindlessly bash whatever changes they've made to the formula.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • Don't care about the Ultra Beasts at all.

Rockruff's evos are okay I guess. The day evolution looks like, nothing to complain about really, but the night one is off. It looks kind off tho. I would have liked it had it be like... Rockruff had a counterpart (that looked different obvi), and only one could evolve into the day to day form, and the other at night into night form. It just looks weird that Rockruff evolves into this red thing that doesn't even look that similar. Not a bad design by any means but I just think the evolution looks weird.

Pretty disappointing issue tho, hopefully the Sept. 14th trailer shows more.

Years
  • Let me show you why that's sheer nonsense.

Also, didn't you also criticize the recent Mario & Luigi games for being stale and too much hand-holding? The hypocrisy from video game fandoms such as the Mario RPG fanbases is why I can't take criticisms towards Pokemon Sun and Moon being too different from the past six gen games seriously. If you really want these games to evolve from being stale and boring, then don't mindlessly bash whatever changes they've made to the formula.

Mindlessly bash?

We can criticize change depending upon if it builds upon what we loved about the series. Color Splash does not build upon what fans loved. Sun and Moon does build upon what fans loved.

Last edited:

Attribule

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    There's no confirmation of this as far as I know; lots of people are speculating they are made by Aether Corp. as part of a sinister plan, but all we know of them officially is that they're "mysterious creatures" and they "possess mighty powers and could pose a threat to humans and Pokémon, so they are feared."

Right now I'm in the group that thinks Aether Corp. made them, but it's just as likely that UB's are organic creatures, or even a form of alien life.

True, maybe there hasn't been any explicit confirmation so far of whether or not they are man-made. Taking this, though "UB-01's body is composed of a glass-like substance", I find it hard to believe that these creatures are organic.

Artificial Pokemon used to be much more crude, when technology wasn't nearly as advanced. Magearna is obviously man-made, as it was created hundreds of years in the past. As technology has advanced, more convincing "fakes" started to appear, such as Mewtwo, which albeit isn't made from scratch I suppose.

My point, though, is that Aether seems more technologically advanced than any other group we've seen so far. It isn't out of the question that they did create the Ultra Beasts, which may only appear organic to the naked eye but actually aren't at all. Or, if not Aether as a whole, specific people working within it and/or stealing from them in secret. Since we know for a fact Type: Null is man-made and owned by Gladion, we know that someone is creating artificial life, and Gladion has at least some tie to Aether because he's related to at least Lusamine.

Somebody is creating artificial life, and I think UBs are artificial creatures. Aether is an easy group to point fingers at so far, but who knows until we get our hands on actual facts. That's part of what makes these speculations so fun though.

Edit: Also, I think it's funny that some people argue that Sun and Moon aren't "Pokemon enough", when the more I see of this generation, the more I'm convinced this is the most "Pokemon" Pokemon has ever been. Can't please everybody.

Last edited:

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • My theory with ultra beasts is that they are syncro Pokemon but at the same time they're not Pokemon at all. I have a feeling next gen we are gonna have trainers become their Pokemon meaning some item is gonna turn you into an ultra beast or something idk, and I'm guessing the reason for the two ultra beast is I'm guessing the part of the game where you face them will be different depending on version maybe not facing the same trainer at that moment in the game (ex drayden, Iris). I'm guessing aiester foundation taps into something that makes humans into Pokemon it's considered a no no , evil team is like we don't care tries to take the tech creates Ultra beasts

Bay

Years
  • The new Ultra Beasts designs did take me by surprise, lol. Still not sure what to make of their designs but it does make me more curious of their roles in the games. Meanwhile, I'm really digging Rockruff's evolutions there. Can't wait for their typings.

LOLITA_LLORD

Aspiring Fan Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2017
    I know I'm probably the only one who thought this, but when I first saw a picture of UB-02, Expansion, I thought it was some sort of evolution for Oricorio's Baile forme.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • A new generation and people are saying it's not Pokemon enough? What a surprise!

...anyway, these Ultra Beasts really have me confused. Why do we have aliens or fake Pokemon here all of a sudden? Why are they called Beasts... are they NOT Pokemon or is this a classification like "legendary"?

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Don't care about the Ultra Beasts at all.

Rockruff's evos are okay I guess. The day evolution looks like, nothing to complain about really, but the night one is off. It looks kind off tho. I would have liked it had it be like... Rockruff had a counterpart (that looked different obvi), and only one could evolve into the day to day form, and the other at night into night form. It just looks weird that Rockruff evolves into this red thing that doesn't even look that similar. Not a bad design by any means but I just think the evolution looks weird.

Pretty disappointing issue tho, hopefully the Sept. 14th trailer shows more.

THIS. Every word.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • True, maybe there hasn't been any explicit confirmation so far of whether or not they are man-made. Taking this, though "UB-01's body is composed of a glass-like substance", I find it hard to believe that these creatures are organic.

Artificial Pokemon used to be much more crude, when technology wasn't nearly as advanced. Magearna is obviously man-made, as it was created hundreds of years in the past. As technology has advanced, more convincing "fakes" started to appear, such as Mewtwo, which albeit isn't made from scratch I suppose.

My point, though, is that Aether seems more technologically advanced than any other group we've seen so far. It isn't out of the question that they did create the Ultra Beasts, which may only appear organic to the naked eye but actually aren't at all. Or, if not Aether as a whole, specific people working within it and/or stealing from them in secret. Since we know for a fact Type: Null is man-made and owned by Gladion, we know that someone is creating artificial life, and Gladion has at least some tie to Aether because he's related to at least Lusamine.

Somebody is creating artificial life, and I think UBs are artificial creatures. Aether is an easy group to point fingers at so far, but who knows until we get our hands on actual facts. That's part of what makes these speculations so fun though.

Edit: Also, I think it's funny that some people argue that Sun and Moon aren't "Pokemon enough", when the more I see of this generation, the more I'm convinced this is the most "Pokemon" Pokemon has ever been. Can't please everybody.

It should be noted that Deoxys has a core made out of crystalline substance too. These are aliens, they don't necessary function the same way that some of the other Pokemon do. Plus, we got inanimate objects which apparently aren't made made, such as Klink...whose body is made of metal. Rotom's body is also made out of Plasma. So it's possible for the UBs to be organic. The official site makes them sound like aliens, as does Lusamine's words about her love for living things.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • UB-02 beauty looks awesome! I really can't even guess what the story behind what UB-02 is--are they the same creature in two separate forms? I just love the mystery around the ultrabeasts. Whatever they are, they're really like nothing we've ever seen in Pokémon.

And Lugarugan looks awesome! The Sun form is my favorite of the two, but since I'll be maining Pokémon Moon, I'll have to be sure to evolve it late at night in order to get the Sun form :P

Back