• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: CoroCoro reveals Rockruff's evolutions & new Ultra Beasts for Sun and Moon!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    This feels extremely nitpicky to me. The tendrils of UB-01 make up Lillie's hair, even going so far as to include her bangs, and the longer tendrils are nearly identical to her legs. Even Lillie's hat is present in UB-01's design; the only thing missing is her bag. Maybe there is some sort of connection between UB-02 BEAUTY and Lusamine but the similarities are not nearly as explicit as those between UB-01 and Lillie, and I still stand by the idea that it doesn't make sense for UB-02 to have version-exclusive forms if only one is based on Lusamine.

raxic_ex also brought up something I agree with: if Aether Corp. turns out to be the true villains, it should occur in both versions. It would be... unfair is the only word I can think of, if only one portion of players experienced the "plot twist" of these games, because everyone is going in knowing Team Skull are the bad guys. But Aether Corp.'s true motivations are still up in the air. Having Aether Corp. turn out to be the bad guys in only one version is just... It's just really unfair to the players who pick the version where they aren't the bad guys.

Also slightly related, I really don't see the similarities between UB-02 EXPANSION and Gladion. At all. If UB-02 EXPANSION is based on anyone, it must be someone we haven't seen yet... unless Gladion can transform into a super-ripped version of himself, but that would just be ???

I was thinking about the hat and the 'head' are what don't link up. The rest sort of does.

Anyways, I no longer think that Lillie is UB-01 after seeing this issue. I don't think that Lusamine is UB-02 Beauty either.

Yeah, people are stretching it with Gladion and UB-02 Expansion... maybe UB-03 will look similar to him.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    They seem to be evolutions. Also, the type hasn't really been specified, so we don't really know, yet.

From what Serebii says, they are the same pokemon. However, you only get 1 form if it evolves at night. You get the other form evolving it during the day. It is 2 different evolutions, but remains the same pokemon.

It does not form switch. It only stays 1 or the other.

Also the typing is probably remains Rock in day form and turns to Dark in night form. Or Rock/Normal and Rock/Dark.

Also Rockruff is pure Rock, not Rock/Normal.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
    Looks like Ash finally going to school will be a good change..he'll finally learn the secret to winning the Pokemon league!

I like Rockruff's night evolution the most. I wonder if what they said about Rockruff and the starters sharing a secret will mean them having 2 different forms at their final evolution - would be awesome if that is the case.

Gladion shares the same colours as UB-2 EXPANSION while UB-02 Beauty looks like lousamine as others have said. I have no idea how this would tie into the story as there are two different ultrabeasts fighting tapa koko in the leak.

Years
    From what Serebii says, they are the same pokemon. However, you only get 1 form if it evolves at night. You get the other form evolving it during the day. It is 2 different evolutions, but remains the same pokemon.

It does not form switch. It only stays 1 or the other.

Also the typing is probably remains Rock in day form and turns to Dark in night form. Or Rock/Normal and Rock/Dark.

Also Rockruff is pure Rock, not Rock/Normal.
    So it's similar to the case with Wormadam, but with time instead of cloak.

I like Mid-day forme Rockruff the best. I think I'll call it Sora, as it reminds me of Sora from KH.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    It looks like Gen 7 anime is coming back to how Gen 5 was meaning not using the protagonist but some random characters from the game. Mallow will be the female character accompanying Ash it looks like.

Years
    They seem to be evolutions. Also, the type hasn't really been specified, so we don't really know, yet.

This.

Also, I just thought of something - who thinks the two forms could have different abilities?

If you look at Meowstic's two gender-based forms, one got Prankster while the other had Competitive. Those were the hidden abilities and not the regular abilities, but if one Pokemon that had two different aesthetic forms got different abilities, maybe another one could? Lugarugan is definitely something I could see taking a Meowstic route here and having a different ability for each form. I could see Keen Eye/Vital Spirit retained as the standard ability but different hidden abilities would be a good idea, similar to what happened with Meowstic.

Years
    You know, one form of Meowstic was offense-based and the other was defense-based. I'd like to see that route happen with Lugarugan's forms, or maybe make one a slow tank and the other more frail and fast?

Years
    You know, one form of Meowstic was offense-based and the other was defense-based. I'd like to see that route happen with Lugarugan's forms, or maybe make one a slow tank and the other more frail and fast?

I see Midnight forme being faster, and having higher physical attack. While Mid-day forme will have the higher defenses expected from a rock type Pokemon.
    I could also see Midnight forme being Rock/Dark while Mid-day is Rock/Normal (an unfortunate combo due to 4x Fighting weakness if so).

Last edited:
    Years
    I see Midnight forme being faster, and having higher physical attack. While Mid-day forme will have the higher defenses expected from a rock type Pokemon.
    I could also see Midnight forme being Rock/Dark while Mid-day is Rock/Normal (an unfortunate combo due to 4x rock weakness if so).

I notice Night form is more slimmer and its Zoroark-like build would suggest frail and speedy. Day form looks more bulkier (thought not significantly) and would likely be the slower one.

Also, I'm sure you meant 4x Fighting weakness, not Rock.

Years
    I notice Night form is more slimmer and its Zoroark-like build would suggest frail and speedy. Day form looks more bulkier (thought not significantly) and would likely be the slower one.

Also, I'm sure you meant 4x Fighting weakness, not Rock.

That's my way of thinking about them too. Plus those claws look like they would move swiftly, and hit hard.

Yeah, I should've paid more attention (I had rock stuck in my head) when typing it xD.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
    I love both forms of Rockruff's evolution, I think the day form might be pure Rock type while the night form could be Rock/Dark or Rock/Fighting. I think I might go with the day form though, mainly because I'm picking Sun.

Zervais

Island Kahuna
    Years
    Definitely happy I chose Moon a long time ago. Loving Rockruff's 'night-form' and UB02-Beauty is a personal preference over Expansion (don't actually like the design at all).

I really want Tapu-Koko too. Always been a fan of aztec/native american designs.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    This feels extremely nitpicky to me. The tendrils of UB-01 make up Lillie's hair, even going so far as to include her bangs, and the longer tendrils are nearly identical to her legs. Even Lillie's hat is present in UB-01's design; the only thing missing is her bag. Maybe there is some sort of connection between UB-02 BEAUTY and Lusamine but the similarities are not nearly as explicit as those between UB-01 and Lillie, and I still stand by the idea that it doesn't make sense for UB-02 to have version-exclusive forms if only one is based on Lusamine.

raxic_ex also brought up something I agree with: if Aether Corp. turns out to be the true villains, it should occur in both versions. It would be... unfair is the only word I can think of, if only one portion of players experienced the "plot twist" of these games, because everyone is going in knowing Team Skull are the bad guys. But Aether Corp.'s true motivations are still up in the air. Having Aether Corp. turn out to be the bad guys in only one version is just... It's just really unfair to the players who pick the version where they aren't the bad guys.

Also slightly related, I really don't see the similarities between UB-02 EXPANSION and Gladion. At all. If UB-02 EXPANSION is based on anyone, it must be someone we haven't seen yet... unless Gladion can transform into a super-ripped version of himself, but that would just be ???

This is beyond jumping to conclusions. You can easily tell the same story in both versions. Nobody knows how important the resemblance to characters is. Expansion could be based on Gladion, and they could tell the story with more of a focus on Gladion rather than Lusamine. We don't know.

Just to be different, I'm going to predict Rock/Fighting and Rock/Dark as the typings of the Rockruff evolutions. Fighting and Dark being Pokemon's good and evil types.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    This is beyond jumping to conclusions. You can easily tell the same story in both versions. Nobody knows how important the resemblance to characters is. Expansion could be based on Gladion, and they could tell the story with more of a focus on Gladion rather than Lusamine. We don't know.

Considering Lillie is flat-out stated to be "important to the story," I think it's kind of obvious UB-01's resemblance is important, too. So if the other UB's are meant to resemble any one (really? Gladion still? Am I missing something? Does his mostly-black sweater cover his shredded abs that the mostly-red EXPANSION clearly has?) I think it would be fair to say it's important, too.

I'd say one version focusing on a certain character and the other version focusing on someone else is pushing it, too. You'd most likely miss out on crucial character development if one character is pushed aside in favor of another, which is also unfair, especially if they don't make that clear to the playerbase beforehand (but even if they did it's still pretty unfair).

I love making good use of version differences but I think major plot things like that should stay the same across both games.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2016
    I'm definitely getting Pokemon Moon for Rockruff's midnight form. Hopefully we can catch Ultra Beasts because UB02 Expansion looks like he's been making gains in the gym!

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Not. Even. Subtle.
    With UB-01 there was reasonable doubt it had anything to do with lillie, but now...

Anyways is it just me or does rockruff look like it will evolve again?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Not. Even. Subtle.
    With UB-01 there was reasonable doubt it had anything to do with lillie, but now...

Anyways is it just me or does rockruff look like it will evolve again?

I don't think so. I think that is all for Rockruff. I could possibly see it with his... night form I think? But his more dog like appearance looks to be final stage, and I don't think they would evolve one and not the other.

Anyway, am I the only one disappointed that they did not reveal names of towns yet again?

Years
    Anyway, am I the only one disappointed that they did not reveal names of towns yet again?

How good you remind me of that. Maybe the reason we don't know any of the location names is because it's all being kept secret and it's something we have to discover ourselves.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    Guys, my mind is kind of confused right now. From what I read in this thread, people are saying "I love Rockruff's Midnight/Daytime form so I'm glad I'm picking Moon/Sun". I thought Rockruff's evolutions are different based on the time of the day, not based on the game you're playing '-' But I might be wrong. Any information regarding this?

Back