• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Corruption Saving Emerald GBA in DS

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    My son got Emerald GBA for his Nintendo DS. We bought it on Ebay, it was new in a box. It worked fine for a while. This morning he saved it and turned it off. That part seemed ok. When he turned it back on, he got the message "The save file has been erased due to corruption or damage".

What causes this ? Is there a fix ? Is it the DS or cartridge causing the problem ?

I've seen postings about people with fake copies of Emerald. I assumed ours was legit. Is there a way to tell ?

Thanks

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2009
    My son got Emerald GBA for his Nintendo DS. We bought it on Ebay, it was new in a box. It worked fine for a while. This morning he saved it and turned it off. That part seemed ok. When he turned it back on, he got the message "The save file has been erased due to corruption or damage".

What causes this ? Is there a fix ? Is it the DS or cartridge causing the problem ?

I've seen postings about people with fake copies of Emerald. I assumed ours was legit. Is there a way to tell ?

Thanks

did it just happen once or has it done it all the time?
    he might have turned it off at the wrong point but if he has only saved once could just be a glitch and it wont happen again
    sorry if this advice isnt as good as you wanted

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    He's been playing for a few days, and saving fairly often. He was training his pokemon, and later was going to battle the 7th gym leader when he saved & turned it off.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • If the cartridge itself isn't fluorescent green, then it's fake. But that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't, if it is green.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • If the Emerald is fake and he has a legit Diamond/Pearl/Platinum in the DS slot, it disallows saves on pirated GBA copies because there's some chip that can read whether the GBA game is fake or not.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2009
    He's been playing for a few days, and saving fairly often. He was training his pokemon, and later was going to battle the 7th gym leader when he saved & turned it off.
    if you bought it off the internet then surely you can ask for a refund unless he put a notice up saying NO REFUNDS then you must make sure its not a fake

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2010

Thanks

That happened to me once too in the exact same place...

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • There's a video on youtube on this. It seems like there are more and more people with this problem.

Here's the video.

Well it's a video on how to spot a fake GBA game not a video on why your son's game file was destroyed.

Years
  • Well Is It Fake From What You Saw From The Video?
    Also it's Happened To me before I Turned It Back On And It Was Fine :]

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    Oh Thats Sorry To Hear But You Can Get A Refund Can't You :-(

I should be able to. I bought it on Ebay. I already left positive feedback before I realized there was a problem. I've opened a PayPal dispute so I should still be able to file a claim & get a refund.

I will wait longer before giving good feedback next time. I bought a used cartridge at Gamestop instead and it's not a fake.

The Red Chain

Your game could be a true blue fake.. but being that this problem occurs to many of the 3rd generation cartridges, it could just be that very same glitch.
    The 3rd generation games have very unstable internal batteries just like the 2nd gen.
    I suggest buying a brand new Emerald from a game store instead of online again.
    Just to knock out two birds with one stone.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • That's pretty uncool. I have this Emerald that I have had for years upon years now. For like, I don't know.. 3, 4 or 5 years? And I can't believe how lucky I was to get this cartridge. I've read about those 3rd gen cartridges that has their internal clock stop working, but my Emerald still lives on.. with maybe near/over a 1000 hours played on it. I luv my Emerald <3

Hope the next one your son gets will actually be a working one! :)

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    The same thing happened to my GBA advance on my computer, all of my saved Emerald files and precious Pokemon and Elite 4 just blinked out and I could never recover from the shock that years of hard work just vanished like that D: I miss my levl 64 Mightyena Shroudlure and lvl 67 Swampert, Oceanreign... they will all be sorely missed D:

Chaos Uxie

Spreading Chaos....
    Years
  • hmmmm it also happend to me after i beat the whole battle frontier but i was able to recover by a snapshot file anyways I think that u have turned ur nintendo ds of during save(by mistake)after saving then going in to the bag then save and turn off or else this might happen again

Back