• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Countering the Common Techniques

Lion Heart

Banned
Years
  • Okay, this thread is here so we can show our ways of countering the common techniques.

Boahtar

Standard set is:

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 1 Def / 48 Spd / 208 SAtk
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Crunch

-Counters: Hitmontop, Swampert, Heracross, Suicune, Hariyama, Jirachi, Zapdos (w/Light Screen).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ***For you who want to know what Hitmontop does to him***

Here is MACH PUNCH'S damage:

Without CHOICE BAND:

Minimum Damage 54%
    Average Damage 59%
    Maximum Damage 64%

With CHOICE BAND:

Minimum Damage 81%
    Average Damage 88%
    Maximum Damage 95%

Both can cripple him, and he can't sub after getting CB Mach Punched either.

Here's what he does to him with Triple Kick:

Without CHOICE BAND:

1st Hit: Average Damage 16%
    2nd Hit: Average Damage 31%
    3rd Hit: Average Damage 45%

It breaks sub on 2nd hit then takes a chunk of his HP.

With CHOICE BAND:

1st Hit: Average Damage 24%
    2nd Hit: Average Damage 45%
    3rd Hit: Average Damage 66%

Note that the 1st hit CAN break the sub if you get lucky.

Needless to say, it'll still hurt him alot even if he has sub up.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

The other pokemons uses as a counter are obvious enough, Swampert Surf/Quakes him, and he recieves little damage in return.
    Breloom and Heracross just beat into him, and Suicune can Surf him or CM up, as he can't do a whole lot to him.
    Hariyama can take anything thrown at him, and Cross Chop back, like this:

-This is from a Hariyama with NO attack EV's, but Adamant personality (303 atk)

Minimum Damage 127%
    Average Damage 139%
    Maximum Damage 150%

That's a OHKO with ease.

Jirachi is able to outtank Boahtar, and Thunder/bolt it back to eventually kill it.

Light Screen Zapdos sets up a Light Screen (obviously) and halves what Boahtar can do to him, as Focus Punch is Not Very Effective against him.

To come:
    Curselax, CMCune, CMKou, SkarmBliss, Gengar, Celebi, CMCelebi, Jumpluff

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2005
    Quite nice Lion Heart, i notice that you really want to become good at Pokemon Battles :)

husk1442

needs more [i]Mod[/i]
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    Add Jumpluff to the list of stuff to counter.

I've done some decent damage to a CMcune with Boahtar by using:
    First T-bolt
    Then FP without the sub since he CM'ed
    and then run.
    You do about 80% tho

Shuckle

Most Hated Strategist.
    Years
  • whoamg. machamp is good I hear. provided cc doesnt miss. you can use brick break if your that paranoid about it of course.

Years
  • wut about linoone? once he belly drums, u can only really surive with foretress or steelix. maybe to counter bd u can use steelix to take the first hit, then roar.

husk1442

needs more [i]Mod[/i]
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    OR you can have a Jolteon, or Aero, or anything faster than linoone with a good atk or special atk

klducks

Team WWC
    Years
    • Age 34
    • WWC
    • Seen Aug 14, 2005
    hello Marowak?

Marowak used Bonemerang!
    (average 128 damage)

and maro can take atleast 2 crunches which is enough to KO t tar =]

Phlemingo

o_o_o_o_o <--Claydol Ascii
    Years
  • husk1442 said:
    OR you can have a Jolteon, or Aero, or anything faster than linoone with a good atk or special atk
    Linoone used extremespeed!
    gg Jolteon :(

Ice Rabbit

Custom User Title
    Years
  • Linoone used Belly Drum!
    Linoone reduced HP and raised its attack!
    XXX used XXX
    Linoone fainted!

Linoone is not a counter.

Phlemingo

o_o_o_o_o <--Claydol Ascii
    Years
  • Your so called "counter" for bd linoone is only applicable when you leave a tank out against it and allow it to belly drum, while you can't do much except toxic or something. The smart thing to do would be to change to something with
    a) Uber defense and/or resistance, kill it
    b) Fast ghost type so shadow ball doesn't KO.
    c) Uber defense and/or resistance, roar/haze it.

Otherwise, when I see Linoone, I just attack.

MeLoVeGhOsTs

GaSConeer
    Years
  • This counter is a common technique on it's own.

McGengar
    -Item: Lefties
    -Nature: Hasty
    -Trait: Levitate
    -EVs: 0 / 136 / 0 / 252 / 122 / 0

~ Substitute
    ~ Focus Punch
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Firepunch/Ice Punch/Giga Drain/Shadow Ball/Explosion/Sludge Bomb

Not McGengars original EVs, but my EVs...Works fine.

Counters: EQ, SubPunch, Brickbreak, Return. Allot of CB'ers. Heracross, Swampert, Ursaring(no HP:Ghost then), Hariyama. Well, it counters allot! Including SkarmBliss.

Lord Jaws

The Lovable Tramp
    Years
  • Most people probably know about this one but its too good not to mention. So here is the Anti-Skarmory Pokemon, more commonly known as Magneton.

Magneton

Item: Lum Berry (So many ppl have tried to inflict status ailments on it, so many have failed)
    Nature: The one that boost Sp Atk and lowers Atk.
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 0/4/252/252/0 (I am the worlds laziest EVer)

~Thunderbolt
    ~Thunder Wave
    ~Metal Sound (Most ppl wouldnt include this but it helps, 2 metal sounds can let magneton OHKO a Snorlax with t-bolt, take that Curselax)
    ~HP Fire (Grass is no good because Swampy EQs it first anyway, with fire you cant take down grasses and ice where thunderbolt may not work and even kill the odd steelix or scizor.)

husk1442

needs more [i]Mod[/i]
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    Acutally HP: Fire is on magneton to take care of steel types who are stuck in against it
    mainly Forry

Ice Rabbit

Custom User Title
    Years
  • The thing that sucks about Magneton is that killing Skarmory and some other Steels without Earthquake is the only thing it can really do.

Lion Heart

Banned
    Years
  • Curselax

Figured it was time for the next one:

I'm on a school computer, so standard EV's and Nature will come in then.

His Set:

-Curse
    -Return
    -Shadow Ball/Earthquake
    -Rest

Obviously, if they have Quake over Shadow Ball, Gengar can come in and ruin him.

Onto the counters:

Here's something I encountered ages ago when I was battling, also saw a quick mention in a guide somewhere:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MILTANK
    -Psych Up
    -Return
    -Milk Drink
    -Focus Punch

The plan here, is to Psych Up Lax's Curses, and Return him until he uses Rest, then you get in a few free Focus Punches.

It's too specific, and is no use against a Ghost, so perhaps consider Shadow Ball over Focus Punch, I don't know, but it's no good against anything else.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another option is to simply Haze him, which is a good enough counter, and since Lax is so slow, and evenm SLOWER with the Curses, you have nothing to fear.

Could consider Hypnoperishtrapping aswell, Hypnosis + Mean Look + Perish Song would end him quite fast, especially if it's running Quake over Shadow Ball.

A pokemon with Taunt could also counter him to an extent, though I think Lax will Return it to death eventually.
    I'm kinda short on ideas here, but for some reason I overcome it in battle somehow.

Oh, and perhaps Leech Seeding it, for a HUGE HP amount coming back, and it has to Switch to get rid of it, in which case you get a free Sub or something.

Any ideas will be appreciated, and I'll add in calculations for some stuff when I gert home, like how much a SubRev from Medicham will do to Curselax with 6 Curses, and how much other specific things will do to him.

Back