• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Critical Hits...

Years
  • Should they even exist? if they happen in an important battle for example, whether for or against you, do you really think they are fair or not? Or do you think they add an element of surprise to the game?

Your thoughts... =)

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Should they even exist? if they happen in an important battle for example, whether for or against you, do you really think they are fair or not? Or do you think they add an element of surprise to the game?

Your thoughts... =)

Crits I believe are a great demension to the game, here's what I mean, it gives the victim (lol) a chance to show his/her skill to take such a thing and get around it, there's always luck and how fun is everything to be known what's going to happen? Crits can be devilish, and say you get crits 5 times in a row, your happy, if against you, you hate it and complain :P It's a part of the game that in fact love, luck is always something i am for...

I love the surprise factor even if Im on the wrong end. They should exist in my opinion, makes the game much more fun in my opinion...

Years
  • Crits I believe are a great demension to the game, here's what I mean, it gives the victim (lol) a chance to show his/her skill to take such a thing and get around it, there's always luck and how fun is everything to be known what's going to happen? Crits can be devilish, and say you get crits 5 times in a row, your happy, if against you, you hate it and complain :P It's a part of the game that in fact love, luck is always something i am for...

I love the surprise factor even if Im on the wrong end. They should exist in my opinion, makes the game much more fun in my opinion...

I agree, I couldn't have summed it up better myself as to how I feel about it. But at the same time it does add fuel to the fire when sore losers will just use that as an excuse or something to blame as to why they lost. But most competant trainers will just learn to deal with it I guess. =)

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I agree, I couldn't have summed it up better myself as to how I feel about it. But at the same time it does add fuel to the fire when sore losers will just use that as an excuse or something to blame as to why they lost. But most competant trainers will just learn to deal with it I guess. =)

Exactly, some idiots people just take it over the top, "oh the better player lost!" "Lost by hax"

That stuff kinda gets me T_T Another thing is the people that abuse crits, ike a zoom lens sniper kingdra, or something that overuses crits, that I think is over the line, I think naturally crits are fine and great part of the game.

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • You may think that, but I can tell you that I recently had a battle, where my oppnent crit'd 7 times, 3 of those in a row, and somehow I still managed to win 1-0... >_< (0 For me btw)

Crits are a nice addition, but I wish they weren't existent in online battles. You can lose both your walls to Critical Hits, and you're basically screwed after that...

~T_S

TFN

Blastiose fan XD
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Yeh I like Crits they help you out of tight spaces when you're battling at times

Ryu Hoshi

Traveling fighter for hire
    Years
  • I agree, I couldn't have summed it up better myself as to how I feel about it. But at the same time it does add fuel to the fire when sore losers will just use that as an excuse or something to blame as to why they lost. But most competant trainers will just learn to deal with it I guess. =)
    crits are how we seperate the fun lovin players from the drama queens

Sekushi Sushi*

Roses are red, I love you!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2008
    Sometimes it is a bit unfair sometimes, like they get a bunch in a row and you not one time get any!

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • I love crits, it gives the underdog a chance to defeat an uber/OU.

For instance, my butterfree got off a critical Bug Buzz and one shotted my opponents Mew.

Plus @ the above poster, Walls are cheap, I don't fight people with Uber pokemon or walls anymore. Walls are just plain annoying. (Blissey/Skarm, Shuckle, etc)

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2009
    To me critical hits are just fine. Also items like scope lens also make it a bit more thrilling to me. You never know when you will hit that critical to win youy the match so its fair. Atleast that way when you have pokemon who you can hit super effectives on you can atleast get a critical and snap off half of the oppenents hp.

Years
  • It's fine, I think.
    Otherwise Honchkrow's Super Luck/Seadra's Sniper would be nothing..
    I can remember in RS while my Sceptile was battling Steven's Metagross, well, amazingly, Sceptile killed it with a Critical Hit..
    Though sometimes it's annoying of course~

Shadowz

Among the Shadowz...
    Years
  • Critical hits is a way to make the game fun. You never know if you're gonna get one or not!

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • It's fine for me. What do you think would you feel if Cynthia's Lucario always KO'ed your pokemons with Critical hits?

I think it's fair to have critical hits. I get bored when I know I'm gonna win, I like to live in the razor's edge, It's full of challenges and surprises.

Also, It helps you to KO Leaders faster like... Candice, Maylene, Candice, Byron, Candice. :3

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I like Critical Hits, only because I think that you DO need a little bit of luck in battles, although skill is far more important.

Kittyipawd

Waiting to see red again
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2013
    I agree, I couldn't have summed it up better myself as to how I feel about it. But at the same time it does add fuel to the fire when sore losers will just use that as an excuse or something to blame as to why they lost. But most competant trainers will just learn to deal with it I guess. =)

SORE? have you ever battled the master of crittical hits huh????? No when a person gets crits , frezons every hax possible your allowed to go into the corner and cry ... the masters name is dunlop

And i swear i get them when i could care less for it .

Blissey swicthed out
    Dusnoir came in
    Gengar uses focus blast
    It isnt affected
    Dusnoir uses shadow sneak
    Gengar hangs on with focus sash
    Gengar uses shadow ball
    critical hit
    Dusnoir*barely living* uses shadow sneak
    critical hit -_-

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
  • You may think that, but I can tell you that I recently had a battle, where my oppnent crit'd 7 times, 3 of those in a row, and somehow I still managed to win 1-0... >_< (0 For me btw)

Crits are a nice addition, but I wish they weren't existent in online battles. You can lose both your walls to Critical Hits, and you're basically screwed after that...

~T_S

I agree with everything there. I'm sorry, but I'm unlucky enough in RL without having critical hits come along and remind me of how unlucky I am. No, I'm not a pessimist; I just have far more unlucky things happen to me than lucky things in everyday life. That is just what the evidence shows. When something lucky actually happens to me, even mildly lucky, I instantly become exceedingly grateful and scream out "OMG I'M SO LUCKY!!!" In general, I'm an unlucky person. Lucky things cause me to react more than unlucky things, but I am still so sick of being unlucky all the time... I could honestly do without critical hits.

I have never been in a battle where my opponent hasn't had at least one critical hit :( Most of the time, they'll get 3 or 4 per battle and chances are, I'll get none. Oh well. At least I get some lucky things happen to me sometimes, I guess.

I actually... desperately wish I was lucky :'( I mean, desperately... If I could have ANYTHING else in the world, it would be that. I would swap all my money for luck if I could. I'm just sick of buying faulty phones, trees falling on my bedroom, etc. Critical hits only make things worse.

Last edited:

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    My understanding of critical hits is that they function as the pokemon equivilant of a headshot. Everything has a weak spot and a crit is basically getting hit there.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • Crits have been around since D&D. I doubt they're ever going to go away.

Plus @ the above poster, Walls are cheap, I don't fight people with Uber pokemon or walls anymore. Walls are just plain annoying. (Blissey/Skarm, Shuckle, etc)

This post made me laugh so hard. Especially when you mentioned Shuckle.

Amp

This is crazy.
    Years
  • I think they're very important, ESPECIALLY in the competitive metagame. You've got folks who've boiled their Pokemon battling down to a science, with no room for error and unyielding strategy. These guys have tweaked their pokemon down to the very last EV and nature. Without critical hits, competitive battles would be won and lost before the battle even begins. Critical Hits are the ONE THING no one can plan for, and quite frankly I'm thankful for that.

There was one time I was battling the typical super-competition snob. You know the type "I only use OUs with the absolute best EV's and IV's out there. I had to breed FIFTY TIMES to get my Hasty Snorlax(or whatever)! You cannot beat my blissey!"

I then proceeded to get 2 crits in a row on his sleeping Blissey, knocking it out. I did it with my every day, run or the mill Machamp. I love to mess with OCD people using the unknown. Criticals are my friends!

Years
  • There are sometimes you wish they wernt there, like, when your wearing down a Pokémon with a weak move to catch it, only for it to critically hit it, and it faints. Especially on those rare beats.

But, yeah, pretty much all things in life have an element of luck to it, and Pokémon is one of those things. When all is looking down and out, and your opponent is wiping the floor with your sorry excuse for a team, a Critical Hit can turn it all around. Its good, and helpful yeah. Apart from when its AGAINST you...

But the game needs them. Long may Crits reign!

Back