• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[CRITICSM] Past and present of ROM hacking

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2010
    I'm not an experienced hacker myself, I do tweak my ROMs a little bit for my own pleasure and fun.:P I do have a big interest in playing hacked ROMs, the one thing that does get annoying though is all the unoriginal ideas that keep popping up. I've seen so many pokehacks that are trying to remake the G/S/C and it's so annoying, I've seen two really good remakes; Pokemon Shiny Gold, it's based on the original Gold version, but the hacker also changed it up a lot. There's another pokehack based on Silver version, but it also includes Sinnoh and the Sinnoh region Pokemon. I also don't like the hacks that keep using the official four regions (other than the two games mentioned above) Be original, make up your lands, gym leaders, ect! Those crappy hackers can throw their games out there all they want to get fame or whatever, but only the great games and hackers will prevail. :rambo:

Dear Book Caterpie,

I am one who is trying to help creator to make the "ANOTHER SO ANNOYING Gold remake" called Pokémon OroSole. Under my account I had before my fresh start, I started this thread. I hoped that you (and all others) won't nsult anyone's work, but I have made a mistake. Nice to see that all of you have opinion about lowering quality of today's newbie hacks, but expressing opinions way it might insult will sooner or late create a flame war. I don't want people yelling at others something like "YOU STUPID NEWBIE WITH CRAPPY HACKS" or something similar. Please, all of you, stop being rude (not every post is rude, but some might insult) or insult in any way. This thread will lose its point if you keep doing as not wished. I hope this post didn't insult anyone.

~Martin

MsBroccoli

MsBroccoli
    Years
    Dear Book Caterpie,

I am one who is trying to help creator to make the "ANOTHER SO ANNOYING Gold remake" called Pokémon OroSole. Under my account I had before my fresh start, I started this thread. I hoped that you (and all others) won't nsult anyone's work, but I have made a mistake. Nice to see that all of you have opinion about lowering quality of today's newbie hacks, but expressing opinions way it might insult will sooner or late create a flame war. I don't want people yelling at others something like "YOU STUPID NEWBIE WITH CRAPPY HACKS" or something similar. Please, all of you, stop being rude (not every post is rude, but some might insult) or insult in any way. This thread will lose its point if you keep doing as not wished. I hope this post didn't insult anyone.

~Martin
    I wasn't trying to insult anybody and would never post anybody's personal work on here just to flame them or start a flame war. I'm a very nice person and I feel that you insulted me by accusing me of being rude and trying to start a flame war. I knew I was going to get crap on my post anyways, so truthfully it's my fault for posting.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2010
    Oh sorry if I said something wrong... let's try to let this go and forget all bad things we said about each other. Everyone has his/her right on opinion and so do you and me :)

Johnny3

♫ ♪R h yt h m♪ ♫
    Years
    Yeah Martin, you see all this thread will do is make the newbies not feel that there welcome. When every one deserves a fair shot at everything. Guess what? Everyone was once a newbie, so good work Martin ^^. We can't do anything about hack standards but we can help out instead of abusing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2010
    The best thing I can do now is help the newbies. And so I am preparing a guide for them. This thread lost its point somewhere, so I think we can ask Christos to close it.

Last edited:

Who Cares bout me?

There is enough space to la
    Years
    I wouldn't. People will still want to post their opinions from time to time.

I'm actually already a member, just made a new account, a new identity. Not saying who I used to be though.

Now I have two opinions.

1. I hate hacks that the spelling hasn't looked like they have tried - that makes it very crappy.

2. I wish people wouldn't quit. Jobs can't be done if you quit! :D

So there you have it.

lightor

Banana Pie Co.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2008
    fdsf

I thought of posting a hack but then I thought the better of it to not do it. I"ll try to do some at home and school (during lunch times of course), and make beta 1. I wanted to give that to my friend at his birthday party ( mind you, We're only 12 years old!) and see if he likes it. I wanted to let some other people who doesn't play it to see if they are the good. If it is, I will post a thread.

My teams and my parents think that we are doing something really clever cos we are doing some thing a uni person might do out of bordom. LOL My gay teacher ( and I really mean gay) thinks it is illegal.

Years
    I thought of posting a hack but then I thought the better of it to not do it. I"ll try to do some at home and school (during lunch times of course), and make beta 1. I wanted to give that to my friend at his birthday party ( mind you, We're only 12 years old!) and see if he likes it. I wanted to let some other people who doesn't play it to see if they are the good. If it is, I will post a thread.

My teams and my parents think that we are doing something really clever cos we are doing some thing a uni person might do out of bordom. LOL My gay teacher ( and I really mean gay) thinks it is illegal.
    Technically it is, but lets be honest. No one really cares that we are hacking the ROMs, as long as they be distributed as IPS patches.

And if you want a much more extreme example, you should see the Sonic hacking community.

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
    Technically it is, but lets be honest. No one really cares that we are hacking the ROMs, as long as they be distributed as IPS patches.

And if you want a much more extreme example, you should see the Sonic hacking community.

Its more a gray area than illegal.

You can legally distribute IPS patches, as long as it doesn't contain copyrighted material, e.g. tiles ripped from red and put i gold, etc.

Fffff

Ffffffff'n
    Years
    How many Advanced-Generation Pokemon rom hacks have actually managed to reach completion since the Advanced games came out? That is to say, complete hacks (along the lines of Quartz) as opposed to minor changes like Chaos Black.

It seems overall that the community doesn't finish many of the hacks started; I can't think of any Advanced Generation hacks that have been completed other then Quartz really offhand.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    Fffff said:
    How many Advanced-Generation Pokemon rom hacks have actually managed to reach completion since the Advanced games came out? That is to say, complete hacks (along the lines of Quartz) as opposed to minor changes like Chaos Black.

It seems overall that the community doesn't finish many of the hacks started; I can't think of any Advanced Generation hacks that have been completed other then Quartz really offhand.

Your answer would be none other than Quartz. There only two hacks that I know that are complete and that is Brown(Red) and Quartz(Ruby).

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
    Well, finishing a hack is certainly not an easy task, let me tell you...

A rom hacker that keeps in mind that finishing his/her project will take between 1, 2 or maybe even more years, and doesn't turn crazy about it, remains calm, and sticks to his/her project no matter what will be able to finish his/her hack. But I guess for that, Baro or CBM's word would be needed here, I guess :P

The problem is that the upcoming hackers do not stop to think what they are about to face, they just start without a clear goal in their minds and hearts, and so, they fail when they start getting bored about their current hacks. Giving them support seems to be something that improves the chances of them keeping up, so give them honest and not spamish possitive comments, and I guess if the hacker is serious about his/her work, we'll see more finished hacks in the next years.

And, finally, seems like maturity seems to increase the chances as well, I'm not sure about that, though... :laugh:

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
    Wrong. If you can't take the negative critics, as long as they are done on a respectful way, then that wont say much about you as a rom hacker (meh, even as a person!), and the other users will lose the interest in what you do.

You'll win more if you listen to the critics, and, in the end, if you don't want to listen to them, just ignore them, and be concentrated on what you are doing, as long as you have a clear goal in your mind.

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
    I agree with what you said -HackMew-, but I do have something to say about this quote. The offcial language of this forum is English right? Alot of the newbies speak only English. See the connection? It's not prejudice that they won't try the hack, it's not laziness either. Even I want to simply understand what's being said and what's going on. If the hack's of a different language it's difficult to do that. I'll try Spanish hacks because I can speak enough to know what's going on, same with French. But alot of people don't care to learn another language so they're turned off to the idea of playing a game that's in another language. To me, playing something in a language I've never heard spoken and don't know the meaning of one word in that language is a waste of my time. I'd miss whatever jokes the hacker put in, and I wouldn't be able to appreciate the time s/he took for the text. I appreciate the hacker for trying to make a successful hack, but if you want to make your hack big on a forum, do it on a forum that shares the same language as your hack first.

Plus, when I tried to play Pokemon Naranja back when the Beta was not in English, I couldn't get beyond the first island.

People not playing the hacks because they're not in English can be because we don't understand it.

al21

Darkrai Devourer of souls
    Years
    You've re-opened my eyes I had forgotten how fun those games were, because my cartridges deteriorated over time. I could no longer play them, So every time I saw one of those I thought. "I don't like the graphics." I'm going to download some new roms and start playing those hacks.

Al21

wuz

[~X~]

Back