• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] Customising e-Reader Cards

paccy

Pokeholic
Years
  • I'm super curious, so would this also work with nvpktool to use this without scanning in the dot codes? I'm currently trying to figure that out in hopes of localizing the events. I'd really appreciate a reply to see if it's been done already!!

Not 100% sure what you're asking but nvpktool let's you disassemble the dot codes, you could then localise them by replacing the text and then rebuilding the dot code. You'll still need to scan in the new dot code.
    I have localised the Battle e Series 2 cards and done a bit of work with the Regi doll card but I've been a bit busy to complete it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2024
    Not 100% sure what you're asking but nvpktool let's you disassemble the dot codes, you could then localise them by replacing the text and then rebuilding the dot code. You'll still need to scan in the new dot code.
    I have localised the Battle e Series 2 cards and done a bit of work with the Regi doll card but I've been a bit busy to complete it.

My bad lmao, I'm really bad at explaining. So there's a few save files for the e reader floating around. They pretty much have the Eon Ticket card saved into the "Access Save Data" portion which is usually only available for the nes games and the mario levels for super mario advance 4. What I meant to ask was this, since the regidolls are multistrip, is there someway to insert the data to be readily available, rather than printing, and then scanning the dot codes?

paccy

Pokeholic
    Years
  • My bad lmao, I'm really bad at explaining. So there's a few save files for the e reader floating around. They pretty much have the Eon Ticket card saved into the "Access Save Data" portion which is usually only available for the nes games and the mario levels for super mario advance 4. What I meant to ask was this, since the regidolls are multistrip, is there someway to insert the data to be readily available, rather than printing, and then scanning the dot codes?

Ahh, yes that is possible using Poke-Reader. You'll also need to get the gba event pack as well from that post, a clean, 128kb, ereader save and the regidoll vpk (follow my instructions on merging the strips higher up and complete Step 3).
    Run Poke-Reader and open any of the gba event files.
    Click Import vpk and select the regidoll vpk, click yes if it says something about the CRC.
    Click 128 KB Save and select the clean save then choose the new save's name.

Hope that helps :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2024
    Ahh, yes that is possible using Poke-Reader. You'll also need to get the gba event pack as well from that post, a clean, 128kb, ereader save and the regidoll vpk (follow my instructions on merging the strips higher up and complete Step 3).
    Run Poke-Reader and open any of the gba event files.
    Click Import vpk and select the regidoll vpk, click yes if it says something about the CRC.
    Click 128 KB Save and select the clean save then choose the new save's name.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you for the reply! So it does work, but I wasn't able to get it to load on a 128kb, however it works with the 64kb save. Either way it can definitely run on real hardware! Thank you for the quick reply, I'll try to figure out where I went wrong with the 128kb save

*Edit* it works with a 128kb save file, it wasn't a clean copy of the e reader haha.

Last edited:

paccy

Pokeholic
    Years
  • Letting everyone know that I've just updated my post and repo to provide the disassembled Regi Decoration card which was only released in Japan.
    I've translated to English and provided an edited example to send different items. If you do plan to edit this card do read the section on it. Enjoy!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2022
    I heard there was a way to make custom trainer cards and I found this post. This seems very well explained, but I've never done anything like this and I'm pretty much completely lost. I didn't know what to do with step one, I have an emerald rom but I don't know how to add the code. Now I have the battle-e folder with nedcmake.exe and nevpk.exe then I added nedclib.dll but I don't know what a command line tool is or how to use it. I tried using a command prompt app for windows but It didn't seem to do any thing with or without nedclib.dll. Apologies if this is too much but could someone explain what I did incorrectly?

paccy

Pokeholic
    Years
  • I heard there was a way to make custom trainer cards and I found this post. This seems very well explained, but I've never done anything like this and I'm pretty much completely lost. I didn't know what to do with step one, I have an emerald rom but I don't know how to add the code. Now I have the battle-e folder with nedcmake.exe and nevpk.exe then I added nedclib.dll but I don't know what a command line tool is or how to use it. I tried using a command prompt app for windows but It didn't seem to do any thing with or without nedclib.dll. Apologies if this is too much but could someone explain what I did incorrectly?

Hey! That's ok if you're lost, here's a couple of quick answers.
    The code needs to be added to the pokeemerald disassembly which isn't a rom but the code that's used to make the rom,
    A command line tool is a tool that lets you run programs that don't have a graphical interface.

I recommend you look at this tutorial which will get you set up with WSL and pokeemerald. I'd use WSL to make the cards too and not command prompt.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2022
    Thanks for the response, Ill be sure to check that out later on today. This seems really cool to me but I was just so confused before. I feel better about figuring out what to do now, that I'm not going in essentially blind.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Good morning, guys! I've been trying my best to make the regi doll raw files, but i keep getting this error:

python ../scripts/regionalize.py decoration.asm decoration-EN.tx EN EN
    ./rgbasm -o decoration-EN.o decoration-EN.tx
    make: ./rgbasm: Command not found
    Makefile:7: recipe for target 'decoration-EN.o' failed
    make: *** [decoration-EN.o] Error 127
    rm decoration-EN.tx

I do have rgbasm.exe in the file.

Oh, and a very important P.S. is that I do not know how to read any of the programming languages being used here haha, just going for trial and errors, seeing which one works. Can anyone spoonfeed some step by step instructions to yield the english version of the regi doll raw files? thank you so much!

EDIT:
    I'm also aware that I need to provide a "disassembled regi decoration card" but I dont exactly know what file type would that be, or what would its file name be, and would it be two separate files or just one? I've been following blisy's video and successfully made the regi doll raw file to work, but I do also want a clean english translation on the cards. Please help!

-----------------------------------------

EDIT 02:
    I figured out that you have to remove the ".exe" from rgbasm and rgblink hahaha, and I also added the "-EN" suffix to "decoration.asm" and "decoration-tickets.asm", but now I get this:
    make: *** No rule to make target '08-O001-EN.raw'', needed by 'all'. Stop.

I thought it was missing the original regidoll japanese raw files, so i added them and renamed them to 08-O001-EN.raw and 08-O002-EN.raw respectively. I got this result instead:
    make: Nothing to be done for 'all'.

What am i missing here? thanks!

------------------------------------------

EDIT 03:
    I added the disassembled regi card and named it 08-O001-EN.z80.
    Now I get this error:

./nevpk -c -i 08-O001-EN.z80 -o 08-O001-EN.vpk
    Nintendo e-Reader VPK Tool Version 1.4
    Copyright CaitSith2

./nedcmake -i 08-O001-EN.vpk -o 08-O001-EN.raw -type 1 -region 1
    Nintendo E-Reader Dotcode bin maker tool Version 1.4
    Copyright CaitSith2

card 01\02, raw - Success
    card 02\02, raw - Success
    mv 08-O001-EN.raw-01.raw 08-O001-EN.raw
    process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, mv 08-O001-EN.raw-01.raw 08-O001-EN.raw, ...) failed.
    make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
    make: *** [Makefile:36: 08-O001-EN.raw] Error 2
    rm 08-O001-EN.vpk

It creates 08-O001-EN.raw-01.raw and 08-O001-EN.raw-02.raw and it does read, but the text is gibberish still.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Hello, I've been working to make English versions of the Japanese exclusive e-Reader berries and was wondering if I could get some help to both look over what I've done so far and ask if you happened to have dumped their sprites as I'm not sure where I would find ones that work with the disassembly.

Attachments

• Translated Japanese Berries.zip
      6.8 KB · Views: 4
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Im back, and still figuring out the regidoll patch, and please disregard my previous post. I think I have enough trial and error to figure out that I was at the wrong path. I now have a new problem:

I get this error:

Spoiler:

But when I try to omit the "adddecoration" function in paccy's script, I get this:

Spoiler:

Which means it compiles when I omit adddecoration, but the regidoll doesn't send to Ruby/Sapphire.
    The game would say:

There is not enough room for the REGIROCK DOLL...

Does anyone know what value to put in the adddecoration?
    Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Im getting this error when I compile the regi decorations:

python ../scripts/regionalize.py decoration.asm decoration-EN.tx EN EN
    ./rgbasm -o decoration-EN.o decoration-EN.tx
    ERROR: decoration-EN.tx(21) :
    Macro 'adddecoration' not defined
    ERROR: decoration-EN.tx(60) :
    ERROR: decoration-EN.tx(98) :
    : Assembly aborted in pass 1 (3 errors)!
    make: *** [Makefile:7: decoration-EN.o] Error 1
    rm decoration-EN.tx

Can anyone confirm if they successfully compiled theirs?
    Im using Python 2.7.17, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    I cannot for the life of me figure out how to translate the Regi Dolls. I followed all the instructions I watches im a blisy's video but it still says loading error. Can someone please help me?

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    I cannot for the life of me figure out how to translate the Regi Dolls. I followed all the instructions I watches im a blisy's video but it still says loading error. Can someone please help me?

blisy's video does not have the english translation, but it does transfer the regi dolls. Paccy translated them using "makefile" but I get an error (see above comment)
    I'm not sure if paccy's code has some missing variables, or my WSL doesn't yield results. Paccy's other "makefiles" work tho with Python 2.7.17, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Hope paccy reads this and helps us.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    I get it to scan in the e-reader rom but it doesn't link up to ruby or sapphire and yes it is a multiplayer window

Years
    • they / them
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Wow, this rules - I have such a big fascination with the e-Reader and the way it was used in the GBA/GC era. Such a weird piece of tech! I discovered recently that folks have been using Super Mario Advance 4's e-Reader functionality as a backdoor to essentially make custom levels, and this is exciting to me as well. Just being able to utilize this old gimmicky feature in a cool new way... I love that. Definitely gonna pore over this later.

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2023
    I am having some trouble trying to get the asm to convert to raws using the make command, when I went to type in make I would get this
    python ../scripts/regionalize.py trainers/alana.asm trainers/alana-EN.tx EN EN
    make: python: Permission denied
    make: *** [Makefile:20: trainers/alana-EN.tx] Error 127
    could i also have a different version of python than what it needs?

--edit--
    i installed python2 and have my system prioritize python 2 over 3 and running the 'make' command turned the .asm files into .mev instead of raws
    here is a link for setting python2 to have priority over python3
    https://www.how2shout.com/linux/how-to-install-python-2-7-on-ubuntu-20-04-lts/

Last edited:
    Back