• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cyndaquil is overrated.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    I am playing soul silver for the new years challenge and Cynda was my pick for starter to go on the team. 1 cause he is really good against most of the gyms in Johto and really cute. Cynda is my favorite starter period and most of the time I don't try to evolve it cause it looks so cute and it learns fire blast and flamethrower while still a Cyndaquil. And I am gonna go with reasons above for why a lot of people like it. It didn't try to stand out, it kicked butt in the johto game, and it looks so darn cute while typhlosion looks freaking awesome.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Cyndaquil isn't overrated, because Typhlosion is in the lower tiers. Therefore, Cyndaquil is actually underrated. If it had something like Earth Power to differentiate itself from the other Fire starters, then it wouldn't have this problem.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    lol i feel you a little bit

i don't care for any of the second gen starters, but I think cyndaquil and quilava have pleasing to the eye designs and that's where cyndaquil might gain a lot of its popularity. the chikorita line isn't that great to use so you're left with only two options and the fire starter has always been quite popular to begin with.

anyway i can see where it might be annoying, but you just gotta accept that everyone has their opinion and if they prefer cyndaquil then that's on them. to quit pokemon because a lot of people like a pokemon you don't is kind of a stretch imo

Years
  • Like Ayselipera said, Fire-type starters in general draw much more fans due to the fact they tend to view Fire as a "badass" and powerful type. Water tends to be the second most favoured, leaving Grass as the starters that get picked the least.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Well now that I come to think of it, I don't at all have a problem with it's fandom on other sites. At all. As I said, I have always liked it UNTIL I joined this site, and for some reason, I see those fucking fire moles everywhere, and all this is draining my interest in the games. I still have no idea why everyone on this site is addicted to this goddamn line! I never found it interesting during the times I tried it, so why?

As I said, I don't want to hate the line. I REALLY don't, in fact I want to like them. But given how massively popular they are here, they just get on my nerves and I now DESPISE their guts. I'm not saying you guys shouldn't like it, but I'm just tired of seeing them all over the place.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Well now that I come to think of it, I don't at all have a problem with it's fandom on other sites. At all. As I said, I have always liked it UNTIL I joined this site, and for some reason, I see those ****ing fire moles everywhere,

I know we are not in the same area of the site, but I don't see a big fandom about fire type here more than outside the site. I mean, yeah Fire types are always more popular for some reason, but I think cyndaquil is one of the most underrated fire type... Him, and Tepig.

tHE Fire type have a big fandom, but mostly Charizard, Blaziken, and Delphox for what I've seen.

Years
  • Alright, so what if we considered Cyndaquil in the context of the second generation, where it originated? Now, firstly, in terms of gameplay, Cyndaquil learns moves like Ember, which would be effective against many early-game foes, Smokescreen, which represents the kinds of moves that make early things that people often struggle on like Whitney fairly straightforward (you prefer using a Pidgey for this, but we're discussing approach and design), and Leer for fairly iffy battles and providing support to others, as well as having synergy with the early promoted or hyped Pokemon like Bellsprout or Mareep, which are effective against early threats like water types. They thus have a decent combination of subtlety and offence, for a Pokémon, and an important place in the game. They also come from an era where the starters were slightly more serious and less 'cutesy' than in further versions. In addition, the 'hype' around them seems interesting, because the game itself isn't necessarily going to be that keen on you choosing a Cyndaquil, which would trivialise a lot of its obstacles. In this sense Cyndaquil is given a sort of baseline personality which other Pokémon might lack.

It also has a decent, fairly obscure evolution in Quilava. In terms of issues, it has a few including that for instance such games could frequently make Cyndaquil's weakness to water-types into a bit of a plot on its own, especially with these types occurring somewhat at random later on in the game (Poliwrath, Kingdra, really most of the Pokémon in Pryce's gym...), along with water stages playing a significant role, making Typhlosion's compatibility with moves such as Thunder Punch seem quite important (if you really want to evolve Quilava, ugh.), if it isn't to be sidelined or a bit of a slog for significant portions of that sequence. Nonetheless, as Pokémon go, it's quite a decent one and it doesn't seem to deserve the distaste in that context, whatever they may have done to throw random features at Pokémon in later games. In any case, it might be worth considering whether the Chikorita line having seemingly significantly less difficulty with gyms despite having to face less-than-favourable places earlier on might not reflect on the game being slightly different or on the line's significance to such, especially given the early availability of rock-types here compared to Red/Blue, which again seems to complement them. Nonetheless, Cyndaquil is certainly unique and differentiated in a few ways, complementing some of the later aesthetic of the game, the black-outs and dreary locations, etc.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I think the op is a bit overly salty about this. It's just a cute Pokemon that a lot of people like, and getting angry over the opinions of others doesn't really help or change anything. Being so angry because people like something is fairly immature.
    HAHAHAHAHA WHHAAAAAT XD

Okay. You aren't very clear with that. Let me calm down first. I diss those fuckers because I'm tired of seeing everyone and their mother being so fucking addicted over them. That is what made me so enraged over them.

And yes, I still am, half a year of tolerating all those fanboys and my opinion has not changed. Before I go on rant mode, I need to clear things up. No, I don't hate every Cyndaquil line fan. All I'm trying to express is that I find them to be extremely overrated on this website and that had just simply ruined my taste for them. I want to like them, but the fact that they are so damn popular/picked here is just boring me to tears, because in my opinion, there are better Fire types to like, as well as better starters to like.

Mawa, I have no idea what you are talking about. Are you saying I'm wrong and turns out you feel it's not excatly everywhere? I just don't undertand it. Please clarify. And also why are you so defensive about Cyndaquil when you had a Totodile avatar once?

And finally back on topic. I'm going to try my best to keep my cool here, but I still just HATE the line. I'm sorry. I can get how they can be popular, seeing how they have nice designs, decent fire attacks, and so on, but I stand firm in my point that I feel there are better Fire mons or starters to like. I'm not saying you shouldn't like it or feel bad for liking them. And I am also not saying that I am against all Cyndaquil line fans, even on this site, as that is disrespecting opinions, which I am not at all a fan of. I'm fine with it on othere sites, but just, WHY is it so popular here in PC?

And please read my points carefully. I'm sorry if I had offended anybody.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I actually think it is under rated, if anything is overrated, its the charizard chain. however, cyndiquill alone did have its sparks in popularity. I feel like it doesn't deserve all the hate, but it's attempts to make it cute were fails.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I haven't noticed anybody particularly talking about the fire mouse very much :o Curious as to how you got this impression haha

tHE Fire type have a big fandom, but mostly Charizard, Blaziken, and Delphox for what I've seen.
    Fire is bae (;

Back