• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen D/P Starters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Well, of the three crappy types, my boys and I will definitely be picking the Water-type. As always, the Fire-type will be the worst because, well it's a Fire-type, and the Grass-type will either have a limited movepool or it will be geared more on the defensive side.

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2006
    These pokemon look too cute. I'd prefer something a bit......erm...nastier.

someone1939

Just Plain Awesome
    Years
  • Can we forget about stats for a minute? JUST PICK YOUR FAVORITE!!!! It doesn't matter how the stats and attacks are, because, if you want, you can just REPLACE the Pokemon at a later time with another Pokemon that you have trained. Geez. Some people take this game way too seriously... it's supposed to be fun. And it is!

diageo11

Aspiring Eevee Trainer
    Years
  • I never really liked monkeys, the grass is a bit wtf?
    The penguin is cute but I really wanna see the evolutions before I decide.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks for sharing this! :)

The fire pokemon will probably evolve into a gorilla looking thing with high attack. The little water penguine will probably be a lot like Walrein in it's final form. Don't really know about the grass one; looks a lot like a Chikorita. Will probably look a lot like Meganium or Venusaur. :)

Saru129

Fire User
    Years
  • it doesn't matter what starter you pick...wait, I take that back.

traditionaly each of the starters is like a difficulty setting.

In R/B/Y Bulbasaur was the easy choice while Charmandar was the hard choice.
    In G/S/C it was reversed where Cyndaquil was the easy choice and Chikorita was the hard choice.
    In R/S/E it was actually leaning towards Mudkip some as the easy choice (it has advantages over 4 gyms) and Torchic has the hard choice (Only one gym...and that's after evolving)

But it is true that some people abandon their starters after some time...or until they get a better pokemon. But the starters are most likely going to follow that pattern depending on the gym leader's type choice (waiting for dark gym).

But as I said earlier, I always pick the fire starter first.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Like I said before in some other post. every Pokemon starter that I had the Water one doesn't get knocked out the most. Like the other 2. I'm not saying that the Water types are the best choice, but its up to you

:t093:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

what?

an 815 survivor :P
    Years
    • Seen May 23, 2007
    i wonder how they're going to deal with icebeaming water starters this generation

first, feraligatr's attack was higher.
    then swampert's special attack was low, and also had the quadruple weakness to grass. was also endangered by sceptile's sweeping stats.

it's like the (darwinian) evolution of pokemon starters. the grass starter is becoming ever more specialized to knock out the water starter as best it can, while the IBing capabilty of the water starter is ever decreasing.
    Thus producing two of the most notable starters in pokemon battle.

maybe they'll stick with the low special attack water. that's cliche, though. too predictable.

Last edited:

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • I still hope the penguin evolves into something less, err... chubby.
    So far, no one appeals to me. Ill probly choose the penguin. Being part ice type most likely, itll be strong against the other starters. Unless The turtle became part steel or rock or something

Ice demon

All purpose cleaner ^^
    Years
  • I'm really guessing that it could be a Water/Ice type. Thats a good sign because if it is a Ice type also. I won't have to waste an Icebeam TM on it.

~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

That will mess with the balance.Ice is super effective against grass.

Even so, i really hope it doesnt turn into water/ice.Thats such a horrid type combo.Weak to fighting/rock/electric/grass and only resistant to water and ice.

I have a gut feeling it'll turn into a water/fighting..

wiccanmaid

breeding lover
    Years
  • stop hating on the monkey it's cute in it's own way ... As for the penguin I have the strangest feeling that it's gonna be the weakest out of the three.

Kuri-Chan ♪

Crystal Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2008
    I don't know. I REALLY want the monkey (Pudding Fon!) and there probably won't be any more monkey Pokemon because of the starter. BUT THE PENGUIN ISH TEH CUTENESS! -Snugglelubb-

I just don't like the Monkey's FACE! His eyes are baggy, big features... I'm also scared that his final evo is gonna look like... like Slackoth -studders-

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2008
    Diamond Starters are so-so. =P I don't like turtles and monkeys, but I like reptiles. So penguin is ok, it's cute... Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn starters are really greatest than D/P starters. Charizard, Totodile, Croconaw, Feraligatr, Blaziken, Grovyle, Secptile are my favorite starters.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I don't know. I REALLY want the monkey (Pudding Fon!) and there probably won't be any more monkey Pokemon because of the starter. BUT THE PENGUIN ISH TEH CUTENESS! -Snugglelubb-

I just don't like the Monkey's FACE! His eyes are baggy, big features... I'm also scared that his final evo is gonna look like... like Slackoth -studders-
    https://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/pokemon/392-m.png
    Final evo of the fire monkey starter.

Blastoise

Der Lufthausen
    Years
  • Now that I've seen all of the new Pokemon, I'm kind of sad at the direction that Pokemon has taken. I'll still get this game in hopes that the improvements in gameplay will make up for some of the lackluster new Pokemon, but...this might be my last one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back