• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dad!! That's a mouse NOT a Keyboard. B|

Gazza

Heaven-Piercer
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 25, 2016
    So basically do you have one of those parents who don't have a clue about any kind of technology?

My Dad probably knows more about computers than I do. XD
    My mum on the other hand doesn't have a clue what she's doing when it comes to most technology she knows how to work her phone and ipod but that's about it. XD

I've noticed that quite a lot of people have parents like this that's where the idea of making this thread came from.

Questions: Do you have parents that know nothing about most technology?
    Do you get frustrated/annoyed with them when they try to act like they know what they're doing and ignore your advice?

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Do you have parents that know nothing about most technology?
    My mom. xD. My dad is good, though, since he's a doctor. xD

Do you get frustrated/annoyed with them when they try to act like they know what they're doing and ignore your advice?
    YES. But only on the times I say advice. Sometimes, I just like to watch them mess up. xD

SilverStilletto

~Bubble~Bubble~
    Years
  • me mommy definitely has very little clue about technology tho she still prolly knows more than me.... i mean, come on!! she doesnt even know how to do more than make and receive calls on her phone!! ok, so that is just a little less than i know, but...

on the other hand, me daddy... well, you dont get to be data administrator at a good college if you dun know how to work any technology. the guy took apart me laptop and put it back together all by his onesy!!

and so yeah, i kinda dont give advice... seeing as i dont understand technobabble at all. so i cant really get frustrated with 'em. *fails* *shot*

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    When it comes to tech skill, I'm unmatched in my family. Give me a problem and the computer with said problem, and I can figure out what's wrong and fix it. Then again, I routinely fail at figuring out why this computer won't connect to the internet, and then realize that the cable was unplugged the entire time. I hate when that happens.

Gazza

Heaven-Piercer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 25, 2016
    The questions are based on your parents technology skills not your own.

Please stay on-topic. ;3

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    My mom was on the internet, forums, and chatting before I was. This was back when I was around 10-years-old, and she was really hooked on for a few years. Now days I know more than her, but she's not ignorant to it by any means.

My grandpa on the other hand.. his old job required him to have knowledge of programs like Corel Draw, and such. He doesn't know much past that, though. It's too big into email, and doesn't really know how to find much online. xD;

He's not as bad off as my friend Aki's grandma, though. She once spent over an hour on the phone with her, trying to explain how to send an email. Her grandma ended up getting mad, and never sending it. >_>

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Both my parents are engineers, so I've never had that problem much. Dad taught me the basics of technology since I was 5 and I took of by myself from there.

However, he doesn't trust much and he is getting old (50-ish), so sometimes he has no idea what he is doing or he does things wrong. My Mom also tends to be confused about some new software.

But both my maternal and paternal grandparents... are a different story >_<' The worst thing is ALL of the only know Spanish and I can't explain any technology crap in Espanish! "Esta Cosita","esa otra cosa", "picale este boton", etc... no names to give at all ;_;

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Let me put it this way. I've been using computers since I was five, and I'm now an Engineering student.

My parents are not.

Commence facepalming.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    My mom is fairly competent with computers. She know things that I don't when it relates to her job. When she doesn't understand something, she does ask me and rarely has to ask me again after I've explained it to her.

My dad, on the other hand, was really bad with computers, but he's getting better. He doesn't do as much with them though, so he doesn't really ask for my help. When I do give him advice, though, he usually follows it pretty well.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Yes of course, who doesn't? My mum is not very good with technology and ever since she blew up one of her computer at school she doesn't like them anymore!

OMG, Yeah! I get really frustrated. But I try to not show it! Hehe..

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    Not really, I mean my parents know how to do the basic stuff, but not sophisticated stuff. My mother is an accountant and my father works in a hospital, both using computers frequently.

Um, not really. If they don't want to listen to my advice, it's their decision.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
  • My father is ok. He knows how to use computer and if he doesn't know how to use something, he'll try by himself until he get used.

However, my mother is the opposite. I just wish she could stop being lazy and start to try by herself rather than asking for help all the time.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Well my mum knows loads about computers. But my grandma... Because she has absolutely no idea what you do on computers, she acts like I'm wasting my time on them. And when I do try to teach her how to work them, she just starts to shout at me...

Lucy

☂snow fairy, don't say goodbye
    Years
  • My mom, dad, and stepdad all know loads, and they have legit reasons. My mom is a freelance editor, and she has her own website. My dad does some coding or something for space technology, so he needs a computer. My stepdad, though he doesn't need a computer at his current job, not only had to turn to the internet to look up jobs in the area or elsewhere after being laid off, but at previous jobs he had to use a computer to design kitchen equipment and stuff like that (he was an engineer).

Even my grandfather has to use a computer for work (though when he does it at home, even after working eight hours that day, my parents joke he's using it for -other- reasons). So really, the only person I live with at this moment who might not know how to use a computer would be my grandmother, but she has a legit excuse, for she has Alzheimer's.

However, it doesn't seem like she's interested in using a computer, so there's no need to get frustrated at her. If she was interested though, it wouldn't be me getting frustrated, but probably my grandfather, who still has not gotten used to her Alzheimer's, even though he's been living with her longer than me, my mom, and stepdad have >.>

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • My mom knows little about computers or any of the "fancy" cell phones, but she's mastered just about every feature of the cell phone she has.

My dad would rather not deal with cell phones, but he does have quite a bit of computer knowledge because of his job before he retired.

Neither of my parents have much experience with the internet, as they choose not to have it at the house. That's why I'm on PC less in the summer and why I constantly have to look up stuff for them online.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • My dad knows more about actual computer stuff, but I'm pretty sure I know more about internet stuff.

And don't even get me started on my mom (Too late)...... she's always asking questions about this and that, and why it's not working. I explain it to her, but she must never really get it. Like I already explained that a server error has nothing to do with our computer, but whenever it happens, she still messes with the wires like it's going to do something.

I'm just proud that I taught her some Apple commands on the keyboard. :)

And lol @the thread title. "Why does this dang keyboard only have keys??"

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • My old man has nearly thirty years of IT experience...making him the go-to guy for any computer problem. XD

I can, and have in the past, assembled my own computer by myself, but even still, I occasionally have problems I need his help with. :<

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2015
    My mum is an absolute fool [sorry mum =( It's kind of true though] when it comes to technology, when we got our new V++ Box she snatched the control of us to try and learn.. It didn't go well, she's still kind of hopeless changing the channels, she doesn't have a clue of anything that has a screen =/ Though she's actually quite good with the keyboard, and she can type quite fast.

My dad on the other hand, is quite amazing with computers, he can fix them [unless the motherboard goes x.x] however he's a bit slow typing and moving the mouse I just want to shout at him to move the mouse faster..

So yeah O-O

Years
  • my perants know nothong about computers and my dad fixed summit once out of luck sohe thinks hes amazing! it annoys me, also when he gets the page wrong when you scroll down he thinks its up and the other way round so when im on a site for him we end up shouting at each other. and my mam has issues just using her phone.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • no my parents are quite with todays technollogy, my dad can build whole computer systems :o
    on the other hand though my nan hasn't got a clue what a DS is =/

Back