• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat -- Autumn and/or Spring Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Now that's just a lie. Many of the current staff are there because of their connections.
    You forgot to mention the bribing and 'special favours' aspects. ;p

But actually on two places I got modded including here I only knew a mod somewhat at best, and ceertainly none of the higher stuff who did the choosing and whatnot. I had a lack of so-called 'connections'. =p

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    I honestly remember seeing something about Drew not being very well known until Modded? Drew was definitely known when promoted :B

By the way, has anyone ever been promoted to a higher position (say S-Mod or Admin) without being a Mod first? I mean, of course there are some exceptions, just curious.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Honestly, Erik, I think anyone has as much a chance at becoming a Mod. Say you were suggested for OVP. Even the newb that joins yesterday and posts honest and non-spammy answers in OVP threads has as much a chance as you or a veteran who has never been on the staff here before who posts just as much in OVP threads as you or the newb to become OVP Mod.

The way I see it, there's a never ending list of candidates, each just as qualified as one another to Mod a certain section. So what makes the staff choose one over the others? That I cannot answer. /not because I don't know/have a reason, but that I could really be wrong
    I would assume they weigh several factors, when discussing possible candidates. Those factors that I could think of at the moment would be.

- Activity within the sub forum they are thinking of modding the person or people in. And overall activity on the site as a whole.
    - Previous Infractions and the degree of which they were.
    - The assistance the user provides the current staff in their moderating of the forums
    - The amount of how knowledge or how much they contribute to a said area of the forum.

Also I don't buy the whole you have to know a current staff member to become one. It increases the changes, but if they(the staff) recognize your body of work within this site, then I really don't think that knowing them would play much in the selection.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    By the way, has anyone ever been promoted to a higher position (say S-Mod or Admin) without being a Mod first? I mean, of course there are some exceptions, just curious.
    If that ever happened I imagine it would have been very early in the forum's history.
    Also I don't buy the whole you have to know a current staff member to become one. It increases the changes, but if they(the staff) recognize your body of work within this site, then I really don't think that knowing them would play much in the selection.
    Yes, this is the case, speaking from experience (and certainly what should be the case as 'knowing' the staff shouldn't really have anything to do with it, but rather the other factors mentioned have more bearing and relevance).

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2010
    I honestly remember seeing something about Drew not being very well known until Modded? Drew was definitely known when promoted :B

Drew was fairly well known before he was modded. He was selected, however, not because of his popularity but for his activity in the New Members section. He's welcomed me more than once over the years.

And also yes. But that was only when PC partnered with other Pokemon websites. Owners of these sites would be promoted immediately to PC Site Admin. However, once the staff did away with this policy, the remaining PC Site Admins were shifted around. Steve and Kwesi Nkromah remained Site Admins and bgt and Mewthree became Staff Admins. bgt later became a super mod. And of course today the only one remaining of the four is Steve, our lovely server proprietor.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    My two infractions were back when I was an RP nerd. Now I hardly touch the RP section because I've lost the desire to RP. All four (counting the two warnings) were for the same reason: spam.

Detox

I get most of mine for either retarded junk that could have been warnings like off topic for the first time ever...

Or disrespect to members for starting arguments.

Years
    Back when I was new to the internet I got around 5 signature offences 0_0, I haven't gotten much infractions since then, maybe a warning or two, but I think I've moved past that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back