• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit Chat - Summer thread coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    No like literally. Some people have no way to feel pain. It's really sad tbh, they have to be super super super careful with what they do because they wouldn't be able to feel it if they broke their arm for instance, even though using said broken arm would harm their body.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    WHOEVER TITLED THIS THREAD, GOOD FOR YOU. I LOVE THAT SHOW.

Anyway, moving on. I know Spanish is super practical, especially since I live in the United States and therefore, have quite a bit of people who speak it, but I just have no desire to D: I know some French and I can read and write Arabic and am in the process of learning words now so I can know what i'm reading and writing. I'd also love to learn German and Italian one day. I don't have room for languages in my schedule though -_- so I'll probably do some with my master's degree (if I'm ever lucky enough to get that).

Speaking of pain, I'm SUCH A WUSS WHEN IT COMES TO PAIN. It's embarrassing to a point :|

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    My pain threshold and tolerance is pretty high actually!! But iirc in general girls have them higher than mans.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I don't think I could get myself to learn another language, it just takes a lot of time and overcoming the fear of sounding completely ridiculous or not understanding anybody in a regular chat took me enough of an effort already to start with a third one XD

Plus I think that speaking Spanish and English (okay, and some Catalan) will be enough for me.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I think a lot of people need to work on mastering English before they go trying fancy other languages :P

(no-one here, just in general)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I speak a little bit of french but not enough to consider myself anywhere near fluent lol.

Years
    I've been learning Spanish for about three years now. Granted, the stuff they're teaching us this year is practically the same as last year, but I've still learned a fair amount.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    I think a lot of people need to work on mastering English before they go trying fancy other languages :P

(no-one here, just in general)

Watchu talkin' bout Andy? I be knowing them Englishes just fine.

I tried learning Spanish before but... well, you see where this is going when I said "tried."
    It wasn't hard but I can never be forced to learn something.

Margot

Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I don't think I could get myself to learn another language, it just takes a lot of time and overcoming the fear of sounding completely ridiculous or not understanding anybody in a regular chat took me enough of an effort already to start with a third one XD

Plus I think that speaking Spanish and English (okay, and some Catalan) will be enough for me.

This would be me and Arabic if I didn't have my Dad to help me. I'm basically learning it on my own, but when I need help pronouncing things, I'll go complain to him. And apparently, I have trouble with 2 letter sounds and I sound horrible when I say it and I CAN'T GET IT RIGHT. So it's nice to have someone who can help or at least tell you you're effing up.

Years
    No like literally. Some people have no way to feel pain. It's really sad tbh, they have to be super super super careful with what they do because they wouldn't be able to feel it if they broke their arm for instance, even though using said broken arm would harm their body.

You have told me this before.

Pain is not only physical. People can be wounded emotionally too. So unless these people are completely devoid of emotion, they can be hurt. All too easily. Humans are so fragile after all.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yeah that's the problem with learning a language on your own without a teacher there who speaks it fluently...you could be pronouncing things wrong the entire time and not really know that you are, lol.

Edit: Lol Drakow you don't speak the language of emotional pain.

Usagi-Chan~

What are you doing my love?
    Years
    • Age 26
    • US
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    I really wanna learn a new language, I have to take one next year I believe in highschool. I really want to learn Japanese, I got My Japanese Coach when it came out but besides knowing the names of the days and colors it never really helped me xD

Margot

Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    The exception would be my high school French teacher >_> in spite of being fluent, she was incapable of teaching the language to my class. 90% of us hated the class and never really got anywhere near fluent. The 10% that did were just great with languages. Like, if you asked a 2nd year French student of hers to "speak some French" we would say "....ummm....J'aime bien le chocolat....?". It was awful.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Does your school actually offer Japanese? Mine did but only 2 years and I didn't know of any other school that did, haha. I feel like most schools have like French, Spanish, Italian, and then some oddball language. In my first high school this was sign language and in my second it was Japanese. xD

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2012

This would be me and Arabic if I didn't have my Dad to help me. I'm basically learning it on my own...

Why Arabic?
    I can read the language fluently, though I take a little time to interpret the meaning. Have to agree though, some of the words make your tongue do the tango. Which is strangely pleasing..

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Whatever you say Drakow. I'm sure you can.

Arabic is pretty when I see it written but I don't think I could ever learn it, haha.

Margot

Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Does your school actually offer Japanese? Mine did but only 2 years and I didn't know of any other school that did, haha. I feel like most schools have like French, Spanish, Italian, and then some oddball language. In my first high school this was sign language and in my second it was Japanese. xD

We only had French, German, and Spanish for most of my time at high school. It wasn't until my senior year that they added Mandarin.

Why Arabic?
    I can read the language fluently, though I take a little time to interpret the meaning. Have to agree though, some of the words make your tongue do the tango. Which is strangely pleasing..

I'm half Libyan, and therefore, my family (dad's side) speaks Arabic. My parents tried to get me to learn it as a kid but I wasn't having it, which I regret D: I want to be able to communicate with my family without needing my dad to translate everything for me.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Successful communication is transferring intention between one person to another. If I want to hurt someone emotionally I can.
    Oh yeah you already proved that dw!!!

I'm pretty content with the fact that I can speak English fluently, German is going ALRIGHT I guess hahah, but I don't plan on continuing that when I'm off school.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back