• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat: What even is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    i haven't the slightest clue how to build one, but my ex was really good at it. He built his own twice.

I barely even know how to replace my graphics card LOL

Cid

Years
    My friends love that kind of thing, building computers from parts. For me I'm just too intimidated by it. I feel like whatever I build will inevitable blow up on my face. ;(

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    So today I watched the stream of AMD's presentation at Computex in Taiwan a little while back(May 28th to June 1st if anyone was wondering) and they announced several things, including that their new line of Ryzen processors release next month and cost no more than $500(most expensive being a 12 core processor). In addition to being compatible to old Motherboards thanks to the AM4 socket, new Motherboards are coming to the market with a new chipset slated to take advantage of PCIe 4.0. This means faster data speeds for your hardware(like Graphics Cards) compared to PCIe 3.0.

TLDR: AMD is now the King of the Hill for the foreseeable future as Intel won't be releasing 10nm Desktop CPU's until 2020(and that's a big if). Meaning for the rest of 2019 and likely all of 2020, AMD will hold the #1 title at a fraction of the cost of what Intel offers. Seeing as I intend to upgrade to a new Computer Rig later this year after roughly 9 years of abusing my current Computer, this latest Ryzen CPU will likely be my choice(3800x most likely at $400 compared to I9-9900k at $500(give or take $50)). Basically getting the same performance(if not better) at a much cheaper price.

Anyone else thinking of getting a new Computer in 2nd half of 2019?

Years
    The other day I upgraded my laptop's WiFi/Bluetooth chip from an Intel 3165 to the Intel 8260. It's working out very great and I couldn't be any more happy with the speeds it can provide over wireless now. The previous chip topped at a rate of only 433 Mb/s, but the new one tops at 866!

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    Doubling speed is nice isn't it? From what I've been reading about PCIe 4.0 from AMD is that there's a new line of Solid State Drives slated to take advantage of it that can reach speeds of nearly 5 GB/second. That's just on Solid State Drives. No clue what advantage that will yield for Graphics Cards built for 4.0 and whether NVidia will respond to AMD's latest line of GPU's slated to be released next month solely for that purpose. Then there's ASUS claiming that their new line of Motherboards for AMD Zen 2(aka Ryzen 3000 series AMD just announced) can squeeze every last ounce of frequency from overclocking Memory(RAM). Apparently that's a significant boast since AMD CPU's rely on RAM to operate at their best.

Granted everything I'm reading is just pure speculation at this point. Everyone will know more when the CPU's release next month and even more when the latest AMD GPU's go live as well sometime in August(since I doubt a late July release is going to happen).

Years
    iPad Pro 12.9 inch (2018) was on sale today and $100 cheaper, so I finally caved and ordered along with an Apple Pencil (Generation 2), case, and matte screen protector. Sooo excited to finally be able to draw directly on a screen. My current tablet is one of the plug-into computer ones and it's okay, but I really would so much rather draw on something directly. Plus it hurts my arm. pls get here soon!!!

Years
    I have a laptop where I can detach the screen and use it as a tablet and honestly the convenience is amazing whenever I do need it so I don't blame you at all, Janna. xD

Years
    aaa yes! It is really convenient, I miss actually having my own tablet (got it from dad in high school and it died years back after lots of use, lol). Plus I can get an app that shares what I draw on the iPad to my Macbook screen so going back and forth will be really easy if there's anything I can better edit on the computer 👍

Years
    I'm no artist but I got this laptop mainly for taking notes in school. It costs a pretty penny but unfortunately I felt like it was the only one around that could fit my expectations of what I wanted in a note-taking laptop at the time. I refused to type up my notes and would rather use a tablet pen to write them myself, so I had to settle for this. I don't regret it though.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I've been craving an iPad just for art reasons tbh.

I have a tablet for my PC, but it old.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I guess newer art tablets these days have higher precision and faster performance? I'm not an artist so I wouldn't know :p
    Well the newer verisons have a screen on them, with mine you draw on the tablet but it shows up on the comp screen, so you have to learn to draw while not watching your hand. LOL

But it also starts wearing out, like the tablet and/or pen won't register properly and you have to toggle it for 30 minutes until you either give up, or can draw afterwords.

Also, sometimes the pen sensitivity dies.

Years
    I want a Surface laptop so badly just so I can actually use it to write perfectly.

A Surface Laptop or a Surface Pro? I don't know if you can write well on the Surface Laptop since the screen can't bend very far. As far as their Surface Pro line goes, hopefully their next iteration would include USB-C because for whatever reason in this day and age Microsoft hasn't included that yet. ._.

Years
    A Surface Laptop or a Surface Pro? I don't know if you can write well on the Surface Laptop since the screen can't bend very far. As far as their Surface Pro line goes, hopefully their next iteration would include USB-C because for whatever reason in this day and age Microsoft hasn't included that yet. ._.

I would honestly love to have a Surface Book if I had the money.

Years
    I would honestly love to have a Surface Book if I had the money.

The Surface Book 2 is amazing and if this was like... 2018 I'd be recommending it to everyone and their neighbour if they could spare the cash. But in mid-2019, it's probably smarter to wait until the Surface Book 3, whenever it becomes a thing.

But I cannot express enough how much I appreciate the screen detaching function, haha.

Years
    i can't stand surfaces. the keyboards are just about the worst things ever

excuse me?? idk about the keyboards on the pros/laptop but the surface book keyboards are hella comfortable. don't knock it until you try it; a comfortable typing experience is partially why I even got this thing.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back