• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Personally, I wouldn't mind trying whale meat.
    Likewise. I guess it's cause it's something unique. Or that ~forbidden fruit~ deal that attracts the tongue.

I don't think people really have much of a problem with eating whale, but just everything leading up to it. The way they're hunted and killed and their endangered status do cause some concern.

Or maybe society just has a problem with eating mammalian marine life. Does anyone ever eat dolphin? o.o

bluefire32

The Unknown
    Years
    I don't think people really have much of a problem with eating whale, but just everything leading up to it. The way they're hunted and killed and their endangered status do cause some concern.
    I agree with you there Amachi. Whale numbers are fast declining. We really should do something to save them actually.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Whales are on the decrease, so? Cod is rapidly vanishing due to massive overfishing, it is probably the most widely used/eaten fish.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I agree with you there Amachi. Whale numbers are fast declining. We really should do something to save them actually.
    Well, there has been numerous attempts to get their numbers up, hence the worldwide ban on whaling (to which not every country complies with, but nyeh).
    Whales are on the decrease, so? Cod is rapidly vanishing due to massive overfishing, it is probably the most widely used/eaten fish.
    Funnily/sadly enough, you're right. I remember hearing something about that a while ago, but I ain't sure if anything was being done about it. It'd be in the best interest of the industries to protect them though, as if they were to disappear, they'd get no more money. Same goes for whales in a way - whale watching is lucrative somewhat.

And then you got the whole tipping the ecosystem out of balance ordeal, and we don't really want that.

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010

Bad argument. The amount of whales in total is significantly less than the number of cods. I believe the fallacy in your argument is called 'accident', you have destroyed the exception.

Funnily/sadly enough, you're right.
    He isn't.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I don't find Japan to be too weird. I've... never been there, but from an outsider's view, it doesn't seem any stranger than any other foreign country. :|
    Yeah, they're all in a different language or something. Very odd.
    Omg I lol'd. @_@;;

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Bad argument. The amount of whales in total is significantly less than the number of cods. I believe the fallacy in your argument is called 'accident', you have destroyed the exception.

He isn't.
    not really. We know that both of these species are at risk, both due to human action, and so the appropriate action should be taken to ensure their survival. Whether or not efforts to protect the Cod population are extreme as those taken to protect whales is to be seen.
    Walks in. " I really think Japan is odd. If you ever went on some sites, you'd see what I mean."
    Oh yeah, them Pokémon sites are the weirdest >.>
    And plus all those countries that voted for Japan at the summit when they were granting the rights to hunt the whales, which if I remember right was last year.
    hehe, them countries that supported Japan were mostly poor and developing African nations who supported Japan's bid for the drop on whaling ban in return for aid and assistance, iirc.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    hehe, them countries that supported Japan were mostly poor and developing African nations who supported Japan's bid for the drop on whaling ban in return for aid and assistance, iirc.

True. They were getting support, but there were a few larger countries too I think.

Hm... I found a list.
    JAPAN, Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire, Denmark, Dominica, Gabon, Gambia, Grenada, Guinea, Iceland, Kiribati, South Korea, Mali, Marshall Isl, Mauritania, Mongolia, Morocco, Nauru, Nicaragua, Norway, Palau, Russia, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent & Grenadines, Senegal, Solomon Isl, Suriname, Togo, Tuvalu.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Well, there has been numerous attempts to get their numbers up, hence the worldwide ban on whaling (to which not every country complies with, but nyeh).

Funnily/sadly enough, you're right. I remember hearing something about that a while ago, but I ain't sure if anything was being done about it. It'd be in the best interest of the industries to protect them though, as if they were to disappear, they'd get no more money. Same goes for whales in a way - whale watching is lucrative somewhat.

And then you got the whole tipping the ecosystem out of balance ordeal, and we don't really want that.

Just ban Cod fishing for 20 years, as Haddock and Plaice are both pretty nice substitutes, as is paddock.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    True. They were getting support, but there were a few larger countries too I think.

Hm... I found a list.
    k, so they weren't mostly African nations ^^; But I know that some were supporting the whaling nations in return for international aid.

Norway is a whaling nation though.
    Just ban Cod fishing for 20 years, as Haddock and Plaice are both pretty nice substitutes, as is paddock.
    See, that's a more extreme course of action ^^; Cod obviously is an important export of many countries, and so a ban on Cod fishing would have a large negative impact upon their economies. It'd be better just to regulate and control Cod fishing, both for their populations and for their respective industries.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    k, so they weren't mostly African nations ^^; But I know that some were supporting the whaling nations in return for international aid.

See, that's a more extreme course of action ^^; Cod obviously is an important export of many countries, and so a ban on Cod fishing would have a large negative impact upon their economies. It'd be better just to regulate and control Cod fishing, both for their populations and for their respective industries.

There was a trial ban somewhere for about 10 years and the cod population rocketed up in that area, though no way near enough.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Easier said than done. Cod is a huge export for some areas, and banning its harvest would be putting a LOT of fishermen in some areas out of a job. :\ In theory, yeah, it's a simple way to make sure cod population increases but very few places are willing to put a ban in effect since it all but cripples their local economy.

Most places to impose regulations on how much cod can be fished though.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015

Iceland is also a whaling nation. Small-scale hunting of small cetaceans is also conducted in St. Lucia, Dominica, and Grenada, while people living in a certain region of St. Vincent and the Grenadines are allowed to kill four humpback whales a year. In Russia, the native people of northeast Siberia are allowed to hunt a certain number of gray whales per year.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back