• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: daily vidya chat

DigitalMewtwo

Somewhere on the digital spectrum
Years
  • I wish I could easily rent games here, too. Closest thing I have is borrowing my friends' games.

But yes, Stardew Valley is great. I have it on my laptop and it has eaten so much of my time, and yet I don't regret a single minute.

Ah. What was the most recent game you've borrowed?

Sweet. Only thing I haven't really done there is fish. The minigame there is the most unintuitive one I've ever tried.

Last edited:

Cid

Years
  • I've been replaying Ultra Sun recently. I never really went through Ultra Space post-game before, but riding Solgaleo has been fun! Mildly frustrating at times, but still quite enjoyable. I managed to encounter Reshiram before realizing I didn't have a Synchronize 'mon on me, so I had to leave its lair and come back another day, haha. Will try looking for Xerneas soon. I need it for my local VGC Ultra Series 2019 tourney this Sunday. ^^

Cid

Years
  • I miss having physical copies of things! It's just so hard to own games digitally and never get the chance to touch them as they are.

Video game rentals being probably mostly physical is part of what draws me to the idea, so I hope I manage to find one near me.

Years
  • There's still a part of me that feels that Video Game rentals still has its place in this day and age.

Like yeah, certain games have demos, but not all of them do. What was nice about going to my local Blockbuster was that there seemed to be a ton of rentals and I could play them to my hearts content. Unlike demos, there wasn't a hard limit as to what point I could progress in a particular game, I'm free to start from the beginning and go all the way until the end of the game. If I liked it, I actually bought the real version of the game! If not, then no harm no foul, at least money was saved by renting instead of purchasing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Exactly! I think the very concept still has its appeal. I mean, as I said, you can buy a game should you like it when you're finished renting. I feel like when it comes to demos, while they do accomplish more or less the same thing, it's really up to the developer(s) at which point you start in the game and at what point you stop, which means they can technically show you the best parts of the game in an effort to entice you to buying it.

I don't blame them, but I'd personally rather see the good and the bad before making my purchase and not have developers decide that for me.

Last edited:

Cid

Years
  • Yeah some demos can be misleading that way. Rentals are way safer in that sense. And you can still directly support the devs by buying the full game afterwards~

I guess the reason why they prefer demos now is that the control is all in the devs' hands. Moreover, it helps launch sales when they release demos sometime before launch, while rentals can only happen after launch, which would make purchases after renting not count towards launch sales.

In any case, I totally agree with you. I do wish they gave the deciding customers that freedom instead.

Years
  • I actually don't remember the games I've rented because there was so many of them lol ;__;

Like, I would pretty much go there every week or so and it was tons of fun.

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Aah, recently I've been pretty nostalgic about Shadow of the Colossus. I wish I could play it again, but I don't have a PS anymore :'(

Cid

Years
  • I never beat that game, Sorvete. :(

I have memories of it, though. Mostly of watching my brother play it and fight the Colossi.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Dang, it's been so long since I played Shadows of the Colossus. I really should revisit it at some point. rip :c

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • Good luck. What's the prize?

The prize was mainly store currency for their site, which you can use to get like peripherals, or a completely new PC. Was something like 70k coins for the winner (divided by 5 since its a team of 5 people)
    We stranded in the quarterfinals though, but was not aware what prize we'd get as I did it mainly to play in a competitive enviroment :P

User Anon 1848

The prize was mainly store currency for their site, which you can use to get like peripherals, or a completely new PC. Was something like 70k coins for the winner (divided by 5 since its a team of 5 people)
    We stranded in the quarterfinals though, but was not aware what prize we'd get as I did it mainly to play in a competitive enviroment :P

Sounds fun. Probably for the best that you guys didn't know about the prize or that might've added to the stress. Congrats on making it to the quarterfinals.

Back