• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: dakota was here! castform's a winner! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Computer programming is just a part of computer science afaik.

And the DCC should probably close on December 21st, because that's the first day of Winter I'd imagine.

Years

And the DCC should probably close on December 21st, because that's the first day of Winter I'd imagine.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    Oh I get it now. I have one friend who's doing CS at uni, but I never got what he studied exactly. Interesting to see so many CS majors at PC~

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
    Well, a future major for me. Even though, I'm learning some basics for coding languages to make a small game. It could always help :D

Years
    I had a housemate doing computer science, but she switched it to her minor because it was taking up all her free time to be in the lab working on assignments.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I know someone (don't personally know him, but do greet each other whenever we meet and have small talks) who does CS; according to him, it's great. I would've majored a subject like computer science myself, but unfortunately, though, I'm stuck with physics, as this is the only subject that my parents seem to be happy with. d:

Years

I agree with this mostly. Early on computer programming is a huge part of computer science as a whole, but as you go into more advanced subjects like algorithms and operating systems, you'd know computer science isn't as simple as typing in some lines to program.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I know someone (don't personally know him, but do greet each other whenever we meet and have small talks) who does CS; according to him, it's great. I would've majored a subject like computer science myself, but unfortunately, though, I'm stuck with physics, as this is the only subject that my parents seem to be happy with. d:
    This surprises me a little. CS is employable but what can you do with a Physics degree? (That's not meant to be a condescending question... I'm genuinely curious! I don't know any science majors personally that aren't just getting a random undergrad degree before med/law/grad school or something.) Is it just that CS is too young a field so your parents don't take it seriously or...?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Why are you letting them choose your major?

Years
    Every time someone says "CS", I'm reading it as "C Sharp", and every time I see "CS major", I read it as either "C# Major" or "Command Sergeant Major". /does too much ROTC

I'm so confused. :<
    If it makes you feel better, if I see "CS", I think of Creative Suite, from Adobe :p

And for physics majors, I knew someone who was a physics major.. and he told me the best you could get with a bachelor's in physics is either a teaching job or something similar that doesn't pay much.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    You guys might think of other things when you see 'CS', but I think of Counter Strike.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
    For what it's worth, a lot of employers like a degree, sometimes regardless of what it is in.

A degree doesn't show you know a lot about something. It shows intellegence, self control, adaptability, teamwork, ability to work under pressure and under time limits. A degree gives you a huge variety of skills, hence why many types of companies such as accountancy firms are willing to hire trainees based on a degree then completely retrain them in accounting.

Years
    A degree doesn't show you know a lot about something. It shows intellegence, self control, adaptability, teamwork, ability to work under pressure and under time limits. A degree gives you a huge variety of skills, hence why many types of companies such as accountancy firms are willing to hire trainees based on a degree then completely retrain them in accounting.

This, especially. High school is a joke compared to university.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
    This, especially. High school is a joke compared to university.
    I think the problem is school should be for learning about the world and University should be for learning how to operate in the world. However, with exam guidelines and such, it's tough for schools to allow open learning of everything.

I could have done my Uni course without every having done it at school. In fact, I only did it for 2 years at school at the lowest level, so about 4-5 years ago. Now, I'm doing first and second year concurrently and doing well. The schooling helped a bit with general understanding, now Uni is teaching me the core of the subject and how to be better at work.

Years
    Ehh, I see both as an opportunity to both learn about the world as well as how to operate in the world. I mean, there's no reason for learning to be restricted anywhere at all and so I don't see any educational institution as restricting at all. I see it more in more of a positive sense, as something that you pursue, not something that is delivered. What's delivered, in my opinion, are skills and standard that you hopefully perform at once completed diploma or degree.

Years
    That's what I was thinking as well, to be honest. I never use "CS" to denote Computer science, anyways.
    Neither will I, actually.. even though it does seem like a simple way to abbreviate computer science. My college just refers to it as "comp sci."

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back