• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dark Souls III

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • Just got my hands on the game and gotta say, I'm loving any minute of it.

Was going to have this as a day 1 purchase, but I wanted to beat Dark Souls 2 before I started playing it (which I did beat it, great game also.) I'm loving the visuals and the soundtrack of it thus far and I just finished beating that tree boss. This game is definitely a degree harder but overall I'm very pleased with how the game is playing out thus far.

Only complaint...where are my Lifegems? ):

Sir Codin

Be sure to check out my LP of it if interested. Misadventures of Sir Codin.

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • Bought it on Day 1, now I'm about 25 hours into it. It's an amazing work of art, and it actually makes me happier to be alive because I'm able to experience it (along with the rest of the franchise).

I've gotta say, this is my favourite Souls title beside Demon's Souls, maybe even more so. Every location has been winding and complex, yet still manages to be memorable. Every boss is fascinating and has a surprising twist. The scenery and architecture is breathtaking. And, as expected, the level design is masterfully crafted and intricately interwoven with itself. To me, I'm having a lot more trouble with the crushing difficulty than any other Souls game, but I think that makes my love for DS3 more true. lol

A lot of people are bummed that Miyazaki mentioned that Dark Souls 3 will be the last Dark Souls title -- but I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean the last game with Souls-like gameplay by FromSoftware (what with how mainstream and trendy its become). There could even be a Demon's Souls 2 or a Bloodborne 2, but I'm hoping they go with something different thematically.
    Maybe a sci-fi setting, so they could merge their Armored Core franchise with Souls. Fighting with mechs would be sooooo sick. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm so stoked by how much fun I'm having! :)

Sir Codin

Yeah, I think Miyazaki mentioned it would only be the Dark Souls IP that's getting it's swansong with this game.

The SoulsBorne-style of gameplay is so hopelessly addicting that FROM just simply can't put this style on the shelf just yet. I myself was thinking of a Souls/D&D crossover....Planescape or something Outsider-like would be fitting with the whole "come back to life" mechanic.

Years
  • Maybe a sci-fi setting, so they could merge their Armored Core franchise with Souls. Fighting with mechs would be sooooo sick. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm so stoked by how much fun I'm having! :)

IF IT AIN'T ARMORED CORE 6 I DON'T WANT IT

GRRRRR

On topic, I got my hands on the Wolf Knight Greatsword and I gotta say, that young Somersault is delicious.

Sir Codin

FYI to those using the Pontiff's Left Eye

Although it is similar to the Rally mechanic from Bloodborne, it's not exactly the same and doesn't function in the same fashion.

The Ring restores HP with SUCCESSIVE attacks, meaning you have to chain a successful attack combo within a small timeframe to trigger the health restoration. For every trigger, it heals 30 HP. Every weapon type has a certain number of minimum chain attacks required to trigger the ring. Straight swords, for instance, require 7 hits within a small timeframe for a single trigger. Upside is, it can be a hit on ANY enemy, not just a single target.

Years
  • FYI to those using the Pontiff's Left Eye

Although it is similar to the Rally mechanic from Bloodborne, it's not exactly the same and doesn't function in the same fashion.

The Ring restores HP with SUCCESSIVE attacks, meaning you have to chain a successful attack combo within a small timeframe to trigger the health restoration. For every trigger, it heals 30 HP. Every weapon type has a certain number of minimum chain attacks required to trigger the ring. Straight swords, for instance, require 7 hits within a small timeframe for a single trigger. Upside is, it can be a hit on ANY enemy, not just a single target.

Any idea how well that stacks with the Old Wolf Curved Greatsword? That jawn has HP recovery as a passive too so...

EDIT: Disregard that. I saw the "it requires a lot of hits" just for one trigger part. ONLY 30HP off of 7 smacks? That seems like a waste of a ring slot unless you're running something that GUARANTEES a lot of hits. I.E: Daggers/Rapier arts/Fist weapons.

Sir Codin

Yeah, they need to fix that ring, because it is flawed to all hell, especially grating since it needs a boss soul to make.

1) You need a consecutive amount of hits to activate it. Problem is, any player worth his salt is going to work towards killing an enemy with as little hits and as little drain on stamina as possible, meaning this is only good for mobs, which is something you tend to avoid dealing with in Dark Souls (not Bloodborne, though).

2) The HP you get back from each trigger is so miniscule for so many combo attacks that it's not even worth it.

Some ways to make it worth spending a boss soul on:

- Actually make it like the "Rally" mechanic in Bloodborne: while you have it equipped, if you make quick counter-attacks after getting hit, you restore a small amount of HP with each hit for a brief period of time.

- Increase the amount of HP you get per trigger. Triple it or quadruple it, because at a certain point, 30 HP is too low a benefit for the cost of the trigger.

They might be able to make it better with a patch, but for now, the ring is shit. If you have it, hold onto it in case they do patch it. You can scratch off the whole comment I made about Bloodborne's Rally mechanic making it into the game: it didn't. A lot of people thought this ring gave you that mechanic as an ability, but the ring turns out to working nothing like Rally at all.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Good looking out.

Moving onto other things. I want to make it official: Uchigatana is top tier in this game. I'm glad I went STR and DEX cause dear god lol. AND THE DEMON'S FIST IS GREAT

Spoiler:

Sir Codin

Great, as if I didn't already hate Katanas enough.

Seriously, FROM needs to knock it off with the katana fetish. In fact, all of Japan needs to knock it off with the katana fetish. All of the anime community needs to knock it off with the katana fetish. EVERYONE needs to knock it off with the katana fetish. I'm so fucking sick of everyone thinking that sword is the greatest thing mankind ever made. If I ever made a video game, I'd make it so that any bullshit katana you use breaks as soon as you use it once against European style armor and of course a shield.

Seriously, I absolutely fucking hate katanas. /rant

Years
  • You sound like you've had a VERY bad time against Katana users lmao.

It's extra hot dawg, not even gonna front. But Long Sword is literally the best weapon in the game right now. You'll be alright.

Sir Codin

You sound like you've had a VERY bad time against Katana users lmao.

It's extra hot dawg, not even gonna front. But Long Sword is literally the best weapon in the game right now. You'll be alright.
    Dark Souls 2 cemented my absolute hatred for katanas in any form of reality or fiction. In fact, I hated them so much, I've seriously thought that society should change the official definition of the word "faggot" from being a hurtful, derogatory word to mean a homosexual to being the proper term to refer to an "insufferable katana fanboy."

I honestly still believe that if FROM cut the hitbox of a katana in half, it would actually have the range that the blade indicates, instead of having it's attack register as a hit while the tip of the blade is seriously a full foot away from your face.

Tl;dr: SHUT UP, I'M NOT SALTY

Years
  • Mmm....I actually feel like DKS2 was more tame than usual about the Katana, with the exception of the Washing Pole. That Katana was stupid, but it wasn't so bad. Falchions were retarded as hell on the other hand.

And let's not talk about the Santier's Spear....

Sir Codin

Doesn't matter, the damage has been done.

Put me in front of a naginata and a katana, then tell me to chose only one. I will go for the naginata ninety-nine times out of 99, purely by virtue of the fact that it isn't a katana.

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bull**** that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
    I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system.

- A typical katana user

Last edited:
    Years
  • Aight look that right there looks like a Copypasta bait and has nothing to do with anything lol. I actually think that was legit made to trigger people.

Sir Codin

Alright, one last bout of katana mockery before we talk about something else. This video is katana users in a nutshell:

SO. SO. EDGY.

Okay, so couple of things...first, Siegward of Catarina is da man. Like, a real man. Uses strength weapons, not twigs like katanas.

Second, how many of you got the keychain that Gamestop gave you for pre-order. I like it. It's not attached to the USB stick I use to transfer recordings of the game for my LP from my PS4 to my computer.

Third, when facing the Cursed-Rotten Greatwood, hit all those egg-sac things. Those are it's vulnerability points....yes, this is a boss that you need to do all Zelda-n-shit and hit it's weak point to damage it.

Years
  • Alright, one last bout of katana mockery before we talk about something else. This video is katana users in a nutshell:

SO. SO. EDGY.

Okay, so couple of things...first, Siegward of Catarina is da man. Like, a real man. Uses strength weapons, not twigs like katanas.

Second, how many of you got the keychain that Gamestop gave you for pre-order. I like it. It's not attached to the USB stick I use to transfer recordings of the game for my LP from my PS4 to my computer.

Third, when facing the Cursed-Rotten Greatwood, hit all those egg-sac things. Those are it's vulnerability points....yes, this is a boss that you need to do all Zelda-n-**** and hit it's weak point to damage it.

THAT VIDEO COULD HAVE BEEN DONE WITH ANY OTHER WEAPON AND THE RESULT WOULDN'T BE ANY DIFFERENT LMAO.

Dancer Set looks beautiful. Working on getting that Artorias set though. I need that. Also, Storm Ruler is AWESOME. Too bad it isn't the most viable.

Siegward is awesome. It's like he never left.

Sir Codin

I honestly haven't changed from the Knight Set.

They finally made starting class attire that looks snazzy.

Years
  • Yeah it looks good. But once I got the Fallen Knight set, it was a wrap. Then I got the Dancer Set and....welp.

I think the Undead Legion set looks REALLY good too.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • Herald + Fallen Knight sets or bust

no seriously mix and matching those two makes for a sweet paladin getup

also I'm so annoyed I have a toaster for a PC which means I have to play the game at low + 800 x 600 res for it to not boot me to offline

can't wait until I get a decent desktop

Back