• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Darkness Falls~ *Dark Type Pokemon Fan Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
  • I've never used Sableye at all. I don't really care for it's design and it honestly just wasn't that impressive battling either, though that probably changed since it's gotten a Mega Evolution. I would probably take Spiritomb over Sableye due to it having better offensive stats. As far as the Fairy-type weakness, well, I hate fairies, so take that how you will :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I haven't posted here in ages! I'm sorry about that.

If you had to choose, would you pick Sableye or Spiritomb as your dark-type on your team?
    If it were me, I'd likely go with former. Although latter's defenses are high, allowing it to stall for good amount of turns (especially in older gens, as it had no weaknesses back then), Sableye could overall be more good of an asset. Its hidden ability, Prankster, allows it to strike hits as quickly as possible when utilizing non-damaging attacks, which is very advantageous if the right strategy is used.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Username: angelomanalo
    Reason you love dark types: The reason why is because their designs are so cute, and I seriously like how fast they can be.
    3 partner pokemon: Sneasel, Pancham, and Pawniard.

Which dark types (in your opinion) are underrated and you would like to see more of in the games? & which dark types do you feel are overused?

Weavile seems underused. Despite its sonic speed, it's very frail and has a big threat: Fighting types. Who do I think is OP? Malamar. Imo Topsy-Turvy is a good move, and Superpower + Contrary = Evil. That's why it's named "Malamar".

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I've never used Sableye at all. I don't really care for it's design and it honestly just wasn't that impressive battling either, though that probably changed since it's gotten a Mega Evolution. I would probably take Spiritomb over Sableye due to it having better offensive stats. As far as the Fairy-type weakness, well, I hate fairies, so take that how you will :P
    Its design does seem to lack creativity but although his battling was not great since the new mega hes pretty good in competitive and in game battling

Eh, why not.

Username: striderviper
    Reason you love dark types: Most dark-types have a cool design and they can be extremely useful against psychics and pretty much anyone else.
    3 partner pokemon: Zoroark, Absol, Greninja
    Have you ever used Sableye competitively or in-game?: I've used it once or twice in Gen 3, it was pretty good. Maybe I'll use it in OR/AS since it has a Mega now and it's tanky as hell.
    Hey Welcome to the club strider!
    Ya theyre definately useful and i love you choices for partners especially Zoroark ill be sure to add u to the member list asap!
    Hi strider! Welcome to Darkness Falls!

PotW: Sableye
    I haven't used Sableye at all, it's one of those basic Pokémon that don't evolve, don't have really good stats and give little experience when you beat them compared to other Pokémon (Looking at yours, Phoebe!).
    It's design is okay, the gems as eyes do have their charms and those were worked out well in its Mega evolution. I find Sableye one of those Pokémon that really deserves its Mega evolution. Some Pokémon have high stats already and giving those a Mega unbalances the Pokémon even more and they could better be given to underrated Pokémon to promote them.
    The addition of the fairy type has had a good impact on Sableye and Spiritomb, finally giving them weaknesses. Could this actually have been a reason to add the fairy type aside balancing dragons?
    I gotta admit i never really used a poke that didnt evolve until absol and sableye got megas haha. I personally enjoy its mega better than its original form! I think he definately deserved it though despite however much he is op and ou he is now
    Have you ever used it competitively or in-game?
    Yeah, used it in many games but it was easily defeated my many Pokemons that makes me feel sad :(

Did you ever catch one and use it in Ruby/Sapphire or Emerald?
    I catched it only one time but it was easily defeated by the next gym leader so i don't use it again :(

What do you think of its dex description?
    Its dex description is so scary and so cute^^ so i don't no what can i say about this? :D

What do you think of his mega evolution? Did you like it? Why or why not?
    I surely likes it mega evolution because of its ability magic bounce with the powerful move sets(recover,dark pulse,Will-O-Wisp). So it is very much useful in the games.

If you had to choose would you choose Sableye or Spriritomb as your dark type on your team?
    I will choose Sableye only if it can mega evolve in the game and if he do not i will choose spiritomb then.

Did you think that it having a weakness to fairy was a good decision on GFs part?
    I sadly said that it is right decision because Sableye-mega has no weakness among any type except fairy type(Same to Spiritomb) So this is the right decision done.

Other Thoughts?
    No other thoughts but i will think about it.

I missed Previous question as Dedenne1 said that we can tell about previous question so why not?

Do Dark type moves seem more weak to you than other types? Is there enough variety among the moves? Is there a certain move that you usually always use when using a dark type?

No, I don't think so it is fairly weak but not much weak to other types.No, There are not many dark type moves we have as most of them are weak and have no physical damage to the Pokemon(ex: Switchroo).Yeah, i always uses Sucker Punch, Knock Off and Dark Pulse move in the games as these are damage dealing moves and are competitively good

Welcome to Dark Type Club Striderviper.You are right the basic liking on dark type Pokemon is usually of their design and offensive attacks against other stats.Nvm My friend Dedenne1 will surely add you and again Welcome to Dark Type Club.
    Nice post answered everything i basically agree with you on everything especially sableye over spiritomb mostly cause i never loved spiritombs design and i love how sneaky sableye is!

If you had to choose would you choose Sableye or Spriritomb as your dark type on your team?

I'd probably pick Sableye. I just like its design better I guess, but the Mega is pretty good when used effectively, even if it becomes slow as hell with that huge gem shield. Spiritomb's design also reminds me of something creepy whereas Sableye is more on the cute side.
    Ya it mostly comes down to design although they seem to be pretty equal if you rule out the mega sableye gets cause that defense boost is super helpful.

I haven't posted here in ages! I'm sorry about that.

If you had to choose, would you pick Sableye or Spiritomb as your dark-type on your team?
    If it were me, I'd likely go with former. Although latter's defenses are high, allowing it to stall for good amount of turns (especially in older gens, as it had no weaknesses back then), Sableye could overall be more good of an asset. Its hidden ability, Prankster, allows it to strike hits as quickly as possible when utilizing non-damaging attacks, which is very advantageous if the right strategy is used.
    Haha nice to see you again definately been awhile! Prankster is definately helpful although i never saw a ton of use in older gens due to its weak defense but it was helful that it had no weaknesses and was incredibily effective against ghost types and physic types.
    Username: angelomanalo
    Reason you love dark types: The reason why is because their designs are so cute, and I seriously like how fast they can be.
    3 partner pokemon: Sneasel, Pancham, and Pawniard.

Which dark types (in your opinion) are underrated and you would like to see more of in the games? & which dark types do you feel are overused?

Weavile seems underused. Despite its sonic speed, it's very frail and has a big threat: Fighting types. Who do I think is OP? Malamar. Imo Topsy-Turvy is a good move, and Superpower + Contrary = Evil. That's why it's named "Malamar".
    Welcome to the club Angelomanalo!
    Well the sneasel and weavile line are very fast i also love its typing it definately makes sneasel look like a cool ice ninja! It is sad though that its underused im hoping for a possible mega for him maybe when they make a sinnoh remake maybe! Malamar haha its definately one of those dark types i dont really like its just a weird poke with a weird design and concept but what makes me not like it so much is its competitve use of superpower with contrary im sorry i cant beat a malamar with 4x attack and defense haha.
    Anyways welcome welcome ill add you to the memberlist asap!

And i guess ill answer my own questions!
    Have you ever used it competitively or in-game?
    In emerald i did but i found it lacked a competitive moveset so eventually dumped it sometime after liza and tate killed it in the gym battle!
    Did you ever catch one and use it in Ruby/Sapphire or Emerald?
    Ya although i wouldnt recommend catching one if you cant use that mega unless you can find use with his lack of a great moveset and low defense
    I like it its kinda creepy but cute haha
    I thought he deserved it more than others like charizard and lucario did and its definately helpful but does push him into the op extremmelly annoying range!
    Sableye its cuter and i dont really like the concept of spirtiomb it seems rushed on gfs part to make another dark and ghost in gen 4. Maybe id like it better if it was more obtainable in that gen though.
    Did you think that it having a weakness to fairy was a good decision on GFs part?
    I like fairy types and i think it evened out the balance with mega sableye however if it was put in when he was extremely under powered he would've probably never been used.
    Other Thoughts?
    Ya hes great on competitive teams and maybe in game as well but hes not exactly the offensive guy youd look for on your normal in game team.

So ya if you havent answered the current POTW be sure to do so and the topic is still up for discussion which can be found in the original post and a new topic or POTW (tbd) will be coming on probably friday or saturday i just need to come up with one haha i am trying to stay as active as possible so just a heads up if i miss a couple days i will likely be back asap this weeks just the busiest one of the year so ya discuss keep the discussion going till i can find a new topic or potw haha

Edit: For the next POTW no matter when it is would you like to see a dark type from;
    Gen;
    1?
    2?
    3?
    4?
    5?
    or 6?

Thanks for the feedback!

Adam Levine

Years
  • What is your all time favorite dark type and why?

Sneasel, of course. It's always been my Top 1. I love the unique type pair, the speed, and it's partially cute. I just wish it grew a little taller.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    HI SORRY

Does anyone else think Sableye looks like a shadow version of Stitch or what? It's super cool thinking they have the same toothy grin and body shape. His eyes turning into gems seems a bit creepy though!

With Spiritomb, it's interesting thinking about how a lot of its stats - whether it's the number of spirits, base defenses or weight, they all come out as 108. I've never really looked into Spiritomb that much though, the 'talk to 32 people underground' to obtain one was just a 'turn back now and get out' for me.

If offered though, I'd use Sableye! Both of them are cool but its mega evolution is just 'RUPEES' so Sableye has similar elements to both Lilo and Stitch and Legend of Zelda. What more could you want? 8)

Adam Levine

Years
  • What Dark type Pokemon do you think should have an evolution, another evolution or a pre-evolution?
    This is a toughie, but probably Spiritomb. It seems a little weird, so why not make it weirder? A Mega Evolution would also be cool.

Raiimeister

Hear Me Roar!
    Years
  • Username: Raiimeister
    Reason you love dark types: One of my most Fav types. specially gen 5 darkies looking so cool
    3 partner pokemon: Bisharp,Krookodile and Hydreigon

Which Generation of Pokemon do you
    think introduced the best Dark types
    so far?

For me, its gotta be Generation 5. they made many Dark types with awesome sub types in that said generation.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Have you ever used it competitively or in-game?

Nope. It's too meh for my tastes. Its design isn't cute or cool enough, and its stats are like, meh too. Its Mega probably ups its stats in a considerable way, but I don't take much to the competitive scene.

It fits I guess. But it's nothing to yell about. I think Sableye is just a meh Pokémon in general lol.

It's weird. I'm not sure why Sableye got one, but he did, and it's not too bad. For me, it's another meh part of a meh Pokémon lmao.

If you had to choose would you choose Sableye or Spritomb as your dark type on your team?

Spiritomb, because of its intense lore and more favourable stats.

Considering its stats weren't anything special anyway, giving it something to be stomped by isn't really a benefit to its cause. But the idea of not having a weakness at all is quite, er powerful shall we say.

Other Thoughts?

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

Adam Levine

Years
  • What do you think of Sableye's dex description?
    God, no. It's one of those few stories where eating something in some manner has an impact on you. Gems for eyes look cool, but just gaining them after eating other gems? Absolutely not. But what did its eyes look like before?

What do you think of Sableye's mega evolution? Did you like it? Why or why not?
    I dislike the fact that it became slower, and its old ability Prankster's gone too. But an improved defense seems like a good choice for Sableye. And Magic Bounce: yes. Absolutely yes.

Raiimeister

Hear Me Roar!
    Years
  • Did you think that it having a
    weakness to fairy was a good
    decision on GFs part?

I think they did a job well done on that. it annoys me when i battle a Sableye 'cause of its typing. but when fairy type exist, they've become less frightening and the fact hitting it with its weakness became not much of a hassle.

Dedenne1

Years
  • Username: Raiimeister
    Reason you love dark types: One of my most Fav types. specially gen 5 darkies looking so cool
    3 partner pokemon: Bisharp,Krookodile and Hydreigon

Which Generation of Pokemon do you
    think introduced the best Dark types
    so far?

For me, its gotta be Generation 5. they made many Dark types with awesome sub types in that said generation.
    Welcome to the Club Raiimeister!
    I too think that Gen 5 definately introduced some of the best dark types so far only gen 3 could rival it but i love Krookodile and Zoroark and great choices on partners!

I didnt notice that we are due for a new topic so ill try this one but i am running out haha
    Do you always use a dark type on your ingame team? Is it a necessity to always have one? If you dont what type do you use instead of dark or is there a poke you use thats not a dark type but can learn dark type moves?

Discuss!

Edit: I also updated the member list and such so all new members check if your on there and if not just reply saying your not and ill add you on there.

Also if you got a name change in the last year if you could just add that in your next post saying that your name on the member list is still your old one thatd be great and ill get the list fully updated! Thanks :)

Edit: Also i added a small little section for the next upcoming topic and potw moreso for me but its under a spoiler if you are curious but do not answer the topic until its posted but there are two pokes who are up for the next POTW (Greninja and Spiritomb) so if you wanna just say what poke you rather have as potw thats fine! And next POTW is next week friday or saturday so discuss the current topic till then and welcome our new members if you havent already! :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2015
    Username: ColeFresh
    Reason you love dark types: I've always been very fond of Dark-type pokemon. Almost like a connection, maybe something about the way they're designed or the simplicity but sleek design animations of the moves. Just overall Dark-type pokemon have always truly appealed to me.
    3 partner pokemon: Shiftry, Tyranitar and Houndoom

Do you always use a dark type on your ingame team? Is it a necessity to always have one? If you dont what type do you use instead of dark or is there a poke you use thats not a dark type but can learn dark type moves?

Throughout the game so far I've consistently kept my Shiftry in my party @ pretty much all times. However, I do not believe that it is a necessity to always have one. I really enjoy Dragon-Type pokemon as a secondary favorite. Such as Salamence or Dragonite.

Raiimeister

Hear Me Roar!
    Years
  • Welcome to the Club Raiimeister! Thank you :)
    great choices on partners!Ikr! :D thanks :]

Do you always use a dark type on your ingame
    team?
    No, but i use them more than often 'cause of their coolness

Is it a necessity to always have one? Hmm, not really

If you dont what type do you use instead of dark or
    is there a poke you use thats not a dark type but
    can learn dark type moves?
    I use Ghost. Gengar to be specific x] it can learn Dark Pulse which gives a strong damage that using it as a STAB isn't that necessary anymore 'cause Gengar is a Monster on what its doing.

Google2.0

Stand Alone Complex
    Years
  • Do you always use a dark type on your ingame team

Of course, my Nyx is always in my team. ^^

is there a poke you use thats not a dark type but can learn dark type moves?

Yes, i also use Gengar alot, it's just a great and fun pokemon to use.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Do you always use a dark type on your ingame team?

Not always no, but I like to try whenever possible. Tyranitar is a great addition to any team :)

Is it a necessity to always have one?

No, I don't think so. Dark type's strengths can be covered by more easily accessible Pokémon in most games, so I don't think they're necessary, but they're definitely a great addition.

Is there a poke you use thats not a dark type but can learn dark type moves?

Hmm, there's a few I suppose, but my Pokémon of choice would have to be Gengar. People have already said why, and for the most part I agree :)

Although I love dark types, I have to say they're neither the most easily accessible Pokémon nor the most versatile, and it's a shame there aren't too many of them :/

Years
  • Do you always use a Dark-type on your ingame team

Depends on the game, there have been some games where I used a Dark-type. I know my first team in X had two together, Pangoro and Greninja, as well as the countless times I used Skuntank in my Sinnoh games, and also a Scrafty I used in my Black 2 postgame before the unthinkable happened.

Dedenne1

Years
  • Dark Type Pokemon of the Week
    2sbmj3p.png

Greninja, The Ninja Pokémon. It creates throwing stars out of compressed water. When it spins them and throws them at high speed, these stars can split metal in two. It appears and vanishes with a ninja's grace. It toys with its enemies using swift movements, while slicing them with throwing stars of sharpest water.

Possible Questions:

Have you ever used it competitively or in game?

Whats your overall opinion on Greninja?

Whats your opinion of the design and appearance of Greninja?

If you were to give it a mega, what would you change?

What do you think of its hidden ability Protean?

Other thoughts?

The current topic is still up for discussion if you missed it I'll also be answering now as well.

Do you always use a Dark-type on your ingame team
    Not always it depends on the dark types native to the region and whether theyre good or not unless i can find a substitution.

Is it a necessity to always have one?
    No theres other types although they tend to be handy

Is there a poke you use thats not a dark type but can learn dark type moves?
    Id usually use a poke that has jaw and fang moves so it could learn crunch but ive recently also been using Gengar a lot often in place of a dark type :)

Username: ColeFresh
    Reason you love dark types: I've always been very fond of Dark-type pokemon. Almost like a connection, maybe something about the way they're designed or the simplicity but sleek design animations of the moves. Just overall Dark-type pokemon have always truly appealed to me.
    3 partner pokemon: Shiftry, Tyranitar and Houndoom

Throughout the game so far I've consistently kept my Shiftry in my party @ pretty much all times. However, I do not believe that it is a necessity to always have one. I really enjoy Dragon-Type pokemon as a secondary favorite. Such as Salamence or Dragonite.

Also welcome to the club Cole! Very nice choices of partners i love Houndoom its such a scary and cool dark type!
    I also added you to the member list along with a couple of recent updates that i forgot to put in!

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Yaaaaaaaassss.

Have you ever used it competitively or in game?

Sadly no, as I chose Delphox in X and haven't done another playthrough. I will definitely choose it if we get another game with Kalos in it.

It's very cool looking and a great mixed attacker. It's also very good in Super Smash Bros. :P

I like it a lot. The tongue is a bit weird, but it's a funny quirk at least.

I'd probably make it faster and a bit more tough looking, but there's not much I can really think of to change.

It's pretty cool, but it can be a little OP at times.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • Have you ever used it competitively or in game?
    No, i always choose other dark type Pokemons.But i'm thinking Why not to give it a try?

It is very useful in the games with the ability to change its type and mixed combo attacks that made him so powerful Pokemon.

Its design is little bit cute and even scary.Its hand and legs are like frog hands and legs but a little weird :/

I would make him a scary with more arms and fairy/dark type look.

As i stated above its ability to change its type give him a major boost in the games which make him a strong Pokemon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back